• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Nevada Announces Reciprocity List

bobernet

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Overall, I'm pretty disappointed at the list of states recognized. The good news is that a Utah non-resident is pretty painless and inexpensive to get.

KBCraig

imported post

It's rather crazy that Texas isn't included, but Arkansas and Louisiana are. All three states are pretty much equal; Arkansas was the first state Texas recognized for reciprocity, and Louisiana was second.

I've read that it's because the 10 hour Texas CHL course doesn't explicitly cover "gun safety", even though it includes a shooting proficiency test.

Silly distinction. I'm sure AG Greg Abbott will be on the phone to his NV counterpart, trying to work things out.

bobernet

Founder's Club Member
imported post

The omission both of Texas and Arizona is unfortunate. At least we have a place to start from, though. Now that we have a "foot in the door" on reciprocity, I hope we can keep the pressure on the legislature.

njeske

imported post

definitely not the list i was expecting. i really expected to see texas and florida on that list. at least it's a start. hopefully more states are added next year. maybe in the 2009 legislative session we can get a more lax reciprocity law passed to allow even more states.

bobernet

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Aside from a vocal minority, Nevada is really still a pretty pro-gun state. Our local media praises citizen self-defense stories, law enforcement doesn't generally give people a hard time, and we have some legislators firmly committed to citizen gun rights.

My suspicion is that this is a little like the progression of CCW laws here. Once we have reciprocity for a few years and people see that blood is not running in the streets, just as it wasn't when shall-issue CCW was passed, we'll probably get more states.

The two biggest obstacles we have here are Bernie Anderson and the police politicians. Specifically the Nevada Chiefs' and Sherrifs' Association. The actual officers are generally decent guys, but their politician bosses are a bunch of left-leaning control freaks.

Perhaps the voting public will start seeing Bernie and the NCSA's scare tactics for what they really are.

UTOC-45-44

imported post

NIIIICE :celebrate

Thank you Lonnie,for making my day. I can finally go to Nevada. I haven't been there for 9 years and 2 months. I don't go to States that don't validate my CFP.

Now I can finally go

njeske

imported post

bobernet wrote:
Aside from a vocal minority, Nevada is really still a pretty pro-gun state. Our local media praises citizen self-defense stories, law enforcement doesn't generally give people a hard time, and we have some legislators firmly committed to citizen gun rights.

My suspicion is that this is a little like the progression of CCW laws here. Once we have reciprocity for a few years and people see that blood is not running in the streets, just as it wasn't when shall-issue CCW was passed, we'll probably get more states.

The two biggest obstacles we have here are Bernie Anderson and the police politicians. Specifically the Nevada Chiefs' and Sherrifs' Association. The actual officers are generally decent guys, but their politician bosses are a bunch of left-leaning control freaks.

Perhaps the voting public will start seeing Bernie and the NCSA's scare tactics for what they really are.
Everyone in Northern Nevada needs to work to make sure Bernie isn't re-elected next time. According to several assemblypeople, once Bernie is gone it will bemuch easier to pass pro-gun legislation, and they intend to as soon as he's out of the picture.