• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

so what if

uncoolperson

imported post

a guy comes into a pawn shop looking for a revolver.

when you get to the case to show the revolvers and ask what for he say's for his mom, and for defense.

we he finds the one he wants he asks "how much down from $200 can you take this", you ask what he's looking for he says "i was hoping to find something about $100, so as close to that as possible" you both agree on $150.

in purchasing he whips out his license and CWP, talks about how he's bought a similar pistol there before (which is later confirmed when being entered into the book keeping computer).

passes the federal call in just fine, when filling out the state transfer paperwork he screws up and puts the street address, state, zip, etc.. on the same line, tells you "dangit, i screwed up... i'm sorry, i always screw something up". so you hand him another, which he screws up again (fills in the address, and all that one line up, forgetting about the name field). he's looking pretty flustered at this point.

the third time he FINALLY gets it right.

is it just me, or would you ask a few extra questions at this point.... maybe i'm just extra cautious, but when i worked at a gas station you couldn't buy beer or smokes if you were having that much trouble.

BTW bought my mom a cheap .38 special for her birthday, figure a wheel gun she can actually see if there is a bullet in it (she was having trouble with that with her pump .22 rifle)

dng

State Researcher
imported post

He just sounds really nervous to me. Maybe he had never bought a gun before. Were you thinking he might be high, or something alongthose lines?

compmanio365

imported post

I dunno....I always screw up the first copy of that form....I hate government forms, and the way that one is designed is specifically into tricking you to make the wrong answer so you can't purchase the firearm. Just look at it real hard sometime, and it is pretty obvious they are making the language and design of the form just hard enough to where you get confused about what the answer you're putting down really means on the paper. I always take some time to fill that out because it's easy to mess up.

uncoolperson

imported post

it was a pretty busy pawn shop, too many people running in circles i was having some trouble paying attention to what i was doing.... that and i've always sucked at forms

Okie Outlaw

imported post

The first time I filled out one of those forms, I got off on the wrong line as well. I wouldn't think much about it unless he obviously looked higher than a kite.

uncoolperson

imported post

Okie Outlaw wrote:
The first time I filled out one of those forms, I got off on the wrong line as well. I wouldn't think much about it unless he obviously looked higher than a kite.

i've filled out the forms more times than i've filled out a job application, cops often think i'm high because i have a tremor (makes handguns even more fun when i shake) and an anxiety disorder, so in a room with a few people i shake a bunch and my face gets red.

the guy that screwed up the forms was me.

just_a_car

imported post

I bought two 91/59 mosins from Big 5 in the same day, but it was early morning and I had had only an hour's sleep the night before because I was so excited to get them. My hands shook and my mind couldn't concentrate, due to sleep deprivation. I made one mistake on both forms (one at each of two stores). You'd think that I would have breezed through the second one without a hitch since I'd just done one a half-hour before. Fortunately, they accept a line-out with an initial and date, so I didn't have to redo the whole thing.

amlevin

imported post

If I only had a dollar for every form I screwed something up on.:cool:

If I did I would be posting this from a nice breezy Caribbean island that I owned.:celebrate

You aren't human unless you screw up at least once on a Government Form.

amlevin

imported post

molonlabetn wrote:
amlevin wrote:
...snip...
You aren't human unless you screw up at least once on a Government Form.
In that case I am super-human :D
It would be nice to have just ONE form for everything. Have a few dozen pre-printed. Just enter the purpose in a special box and hand it in. Look at the time we would all save just in filling out the same info, over and over again.

uncoolperson

imported post

Reverend73 wrote:
I think you just made a straw purchase--not that I care, just be careful.
when i bought the one for my fiancee for christmas i was told it was okay, got it through H&H anglers here in bellingham (recently closed), they seemed to know their stuff and told me it was fine because it was a gift.

amlevin

imported post

Reverend73 wrote:

"A straw purchase is any purchase where the buyer is not eligible to own the purchased item according to the law and therefore purchases the item through a proxy buyer. "

If the person recieving the gun could have purchased it themselves or othewise legally possessed the gun there is no "Straw Purchase".

Now if the OP's "Mother" was an axe murderer or serial killer (convicted of course) then that would be another story.

expvideo

imported post

You didn't do anything wrong. Everybody messes the forms up from time to time.

And it's not a straw purchase, don't worry.

Gray Peterson

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

amlevin wrote:
Reverend73 wrote:

"A straw purchase is any purchase where the buyer is not eligible to own the purchased item according to the law and therefore purchases the item through a proxy buyer. "

If the person recieving the gun could have purchased it themselves or othewise legally possessed the gun there is no "Straw Purchase".

Now if the OP's "Mother" was an axe murderer or serial killer (convicted of course) then that would be another story.
That's not the case.

http://www.atf.gov/firearms/ffrrg/ltright.htm

Phssthpok

imported post

This whole discussion made me think of a post I saw on another forum:

.....Its my understanding that under the terms of GCA68 it is against the law to sell a Gun to someone you know is planning suicide; murder; robbery- whatever. It would be interesting to see the results, if a gunstore refused to sell Guns to LEOs on the basis that being a LEO is ipso facto proof of intent to violate people's civil liberties.

:D

amlevin

imported post

Right Wing Wacko wrote:
If MOM is paying for the gun, it's a straw purchase and both of them are in trouble. If the purchase is a gift for Mom, it should be ok.

At least thats the way I understand it.

If both parties can legally posses a firearm it doesn't make any difference who pays or who buys it is not a "Straw Purchase". If one is not able to legally posses then it is a Straw Purchase. It is really rather simple.

BTW, if MOM is prohibited from owning a firearm for any reason then even a "gift" would be illegal.