• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Gun received as a gift

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Mike -
For privacy, I were selling a gun privately, I would probably not make any record of the sale - and if I were purchasing one, I would not allow any record of the sale to be made.
Appreciate your desire for privacy but that being said I would want to be able to demonstrate my responsibility for that weapon ended on such and such a date.
If you are my friend, I already have the pertainent info. If I do not know you then you are going to have to satisfy my criteria or no sale - its my gun - so my rules.
Yata hey

sccrref

imported post

UTOC-45-44 wrote:
vrwmiller wrote:
Gun gifted to you just for being a groomsman in a wedding?!?! damn, I need to find new friends! ;)

+100.

I would get married again if that was the case :celebrate
Just think, if you have the right friends, you might get one as a divorce present and then another when you get remarried. Man oh man to have friends like that.

VAopencarry

imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
Mike wrote:
swatpro911 wrote:
can I sell my gun without running a background chek if the person was a freind of mine? Do I need it to be notarized?
Most states, inlcuding VA, do not prohibit private sales of guns or require background checks. Federal law however appears to ban transfers to person you know, or have reason to know, are (1) residents of other states or (2) federally prohibited persons.

For privacy, I were selling a gun privately, I would probably not make any record of the sale - and if I were purchasing one, I would not allow any record of the sale to be made.
Do you have a link that covers #1??
Ask and ye shall receive. par. (5)

USC18Part1Chapt44(5)

glocknroll

imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
Mike -
Appreciate your desire for privacy but that being said I would want to be able to demonstrate my responsibility for that weapon ended on such and such a date.
If you are my friend, I already have the pertainent info. If I do not know you then you are going to have to satisfy my criteria or no sale - its my gun - so my rules.
Yata hey
All of these peopleseem to be under the impression that there is some sort of centralized data base of firearms. There is not. What there is is a data base of firearms dealers, and the ATF records what dealer sold a particular firearm as they are prohibited by law from keeping records of who bought a particular gun. What they then do is go that particular dealer and pull the 4473's and search them a until they find a particular buyer. Having your serial number runby a cop will only show if your gun has been reported stolen. ATF effectively circumvents the no registration provision of the Brady Act by keeping records of who SOLD the gun, giving them an easy starting point for their search. Sneaky bastards.

LEO 229

imported post

Correct.. There is no database of the current gun owners.

If I need a gun traced back to the owner.. the ATF has to visit and knock on doors from the gun factory to the FFL dealer and then to the listed purchaser.

This takes a few days to actually complete. FFL dealers have to provide their books upon request. If they close down their business.. they are required to turn over the records to the ATF so they can be stored by the ATF.

If there was a fire and the records were destroyed... the trail ends there.

Tomahawk

imported post

LEO 229 wrote:

[thinks evil thoughts, finaly finds use for Dr. Evil smiley]

drevil.gif
muah ha ha ha!

LEO 229

imported post

roscoe13 wrote:
LEO 229 wrote:
Federal anyway. Some states do keep such records...

Not sure why they do that.... Just like states that ban full auto guns...

They think it helps stop gun crime but in the case of FA guns.... they are not used in crimes. The owners lock them up since they are so expensive. The FA guns used.. if any.. are stolen from the police like in DC a little while ago.

I think it is wrong to require the citizens to register their guns.... I will not be moving to any of those states any time soon. ;)

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

LEO 229 wrote:

If I need a gun traced back to the owner.. the ATF has to visit and knock on doors from the gun factory to the FFL dealer and then to the listed purchaser.

This takes a few days to actually complete. FFL dealers have to provide their books upon request. If they close down their business.. they are required to turn over the records to the ATF so they can be stored by the ATF.

What was this report that it took 14 minutes to confirm the gun used to shoot Reagan belonged to Hinckley?

Lets not forget that when the Nazi's came to power, the records, being already collected in central locations, made it easy to figure out which Jews were armed. The key point being that the Weimar republic didn't collect them for that purpose, but when the new kids in town seized power, they knew right where to look.

Oh, its very comforting and I totally believe ATF destroys the records. Maybe after they copy them into theirdatabase, they do.