• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Gun received as a gift

bspurs5

imported post

Back in May, I received a Glock 19 from the groomsmen in my wedding...sweet gift! It was purchased by Groomsman A and gifted to me (we're both over the age of 21). Is there anything I need to do to obtain legal ownership of the gun? If the serial number was ever to be run, and Groomsman A's name popped up, would I be illegally carrying that gun? Is something as simple as having a Bill of Sale written enough to cover me? Is that needed at all? Thanks for the input!

LEO 229

imported post

bspurs5 wrote:
Back in May, I received a Glock 19 from the groomsmen in my wedding...sweet gift! It was purchased by Groomsman A and gifted to me (we're both over the age of 21). Is there anything I need to do to obtain legal ownership of the gun? If the serial number was ever to be run, and Groomsman A's name popped up, would I be illegally carrying that gun? Is something as simple as having a Bill of Sale written enough to cover me? Is that needed at all? Thanks for the input!

You need to do nothing but enjoy the wonderful gift!!

In Virginia... there is no registration required. No need to carry any bill of sale. I would keep the bill of sale and the SN in a safe place.

Guns chance hands all the time. It does not matter who the last registered owner was. If anything happened and the gun was found... the last known registered owner would be contacted and say it was given to you as a gift. No big deal.

Sage of Seattle

imported post

Did I happen to mention that Puddlestomper and I will be married in Virginia in about a month?

:celebrate

<hint>

Nothing fancy, just a stainless Springer Mil-Spec .45 for myself and a nice Bersa BT .380 for the little woman.

</hint>

:D

bspurs5

imported post

It's definitely the best gift I've ever received that's for sure...We got the next guy who got married a lift kit for his Jeep. It's an awesome tradition to start, for just $50/person whenever you have a buddy getting married.

I have a tag-on question to my original. If I am visiting in a state other than VA, and my gun got picked up for some reason, would I still be "covered" since I am a VA resident and have an unregistered gun, or would I be in trouble in another state? Anything I need to do to cover my tail in such a situation?

UTOC-45-44

imported post

bspurs5 wrote:
It's definitely the best gift I've ever received that's for sure...We got the next guy who got married a lift kit for his Jeep. It's an awesome tradition to start, for just $50/person whenever you have a buddy getting married.

I have a tag-on question to my original. If I am visiting in a state other than VA, and my gun got picked up for some reason, would I still be "covered" since I am a VA resident and have an unregistered gun, or would I be in trouble in another state? Anything I need to do to cover my tail in such a situation?
I know Utah don't register Guns. So you will be fine here

vrwmiller

imported post

zoom6zoom wrote:
UTOC-45-44 wrote:
vrwmiller wrote:
Gun gifted to you just for being a groomsman in a wedding?!?!  damn, I need to find new friends!  ;)

+100.

I would get married again if that was the case :celebrate
If you read it again, it was from the groomsmen to him.

I still need better friends. none of friends got me a gun when I got married.

vrwmiller

imported post

zoom6zoom wrote:
UTOC-45-44 wrote:
vrwmiller wrote:
Gun gifted to you just for being a groomsman in a wedding?!?!  damn, I need to find new friends!  ;)

+100.

I would get married again if that was the case :celebrate
If you read it again, it was from the groomsmen to him.

I still need better friends. none of friends got me a gun when I got married.

sjhipple

imported post

doug23838 wrote:
UTOC-45-44 wrote:
He got a Gun as a Wedding Gift:celebrate.

Ah....there's a message in there.......

Right after the wedding, a young, newly-wed couple hitched up their wagon and started their clippity-clop journey home with their horse. A few miles down the road, the horse lays down and stops. The man gets out of the carriage, pulls the horse up and tells him, "horse, that's one." The horse continues clippity clopping down the road and stops again, and lays down. The man picks up the horse again and tells him "that's two." A few miles down the road, the horse lays down again. The man pulls out his gun and shoots the horse in the head. "That's three," he tells him.

"You IDIOT!" shrieks his new bride. "How are we supposed to get home now? Huh?"

The man gives her an exasperated look and says, "That's one."

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

swatpro911 wrote:
can I sell my gun without running a background chek if the person was a freind of mine? Do I need it to be notarized?
This a somewhat off thread, so I'll be brief. First, I do not give legal advice, only opinions. Your profile does not show in which state you reside. You must abide by all federal and state laws applicable but assuming you are not a dealer (FLL) then you are selling personal property, which is not regulated by statute in Virginia. At the very least, I would record and retain a record of the transaction with all pertinent data for your own protection. Being a friend has absolutely nothing to do with it.
Yata hey
P.S. To what does your screen name alude?

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

swatpro911 wrote:
can I sell my gun without running a background chek if the person was a freind of mine? Do I need it to be notarized?
Most states, inlcuding VA, do not prohibit private sales of guns or require background checks. Federal law however appears to ban transfers to person you know, or have reason to know, are (1) residents of other states or (2) federally prohibited persons.

For privacy, I were selling a gun privately, I would probably not make any record of the sale - and if I were purchasing one, I would not allow any record of the sale to be made.

LEO 229

imported post

Mike wrote:
swatpro911 wrote:
Most states, inlcuding VA, do not prohibit private sales of guns or require background checks. Federal law however appears to ban transfers to person you know, or have reason to know, are (1) residents of other states or (2) federally prohibited persons.

For privacy, I were selling a gun privately, I would probably not make any record of the sale - and if I were purchasing one, I would not allow any record of the sale to be made.
Do you have a link that covers #1??