• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Living in a State of fear- Laws that are impotent to deter crime.

ConditionThree

State Pioneer
imported post

Las Plumas High School in Oroville is currently in a 'lock-down" condition. A student armed with a handgun entered the school grounds and took hostages in the school's bandroom. Reports indicate that the student discharged the firearm in the air and pointed the weapon at themself and a teacher. Sheriff's deputies have responded with their SWAT team.

The Principal of the school described 'lock-down' as a proceedure to lock all the doors and getting everyone on the floor.

This is as much protection as "duck and cover" was when taught in the late 1950's as a response to a nuclear attack. I say this, because it does not mitigate the possibility that an active shooter might have keys to open locked doors, or the capacity to gain access through windows or other means.

I think it is important to note as well, that State law prohibits weapons carried on campus as well as within 1000 ft of the school, and yet this does nothing to deter what is happening today. In fact, it makes it so much less likely an armed person could respond to the threat, for fear of wrongful procecution.

Was PC626.9 effective today in making Las Plumas a no gun zone? Are the students safe because legislators passed a law making something illegal? No.

So what is the real effect of making possession illegal? I say it is to disarm an otherwise lawful person, as they are the only people willing to heed such a law.

I say repeal such laws and hold the criminal accountable based on their criminal behavior- not the possession of inanimate object such as a handgun.

dng

State Researcher
imported post

But it was a gun free zone... There can't be a gun! You must be imagining things, because no criminal would break a gun law, would they?

cato

imported post

ConditionThree wrote:
Was PC626.9 effective today in making Las Plumas a no gun zone? Are the students safe because legislators passed a law making something illegal? No.

I say repeal such laws and hold the criminal accountable based on their criminal behavior- not the possession of inanimate object such as a handgun.

That law contradicts reason and common sense and should be repealed!

Attachments

• fightback.jpg
    fightback.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 281

r6-rider

imported post

"I say this, because it does not mitigate the possibility that an active shooter might have keys to open locked doors, or the capacity to gain access through windows or other means"

reminds me of when i was back in highschool and "accidently" ended up with the janitors skeleton key. i sold it to some kid for 35 bucks, never thinking about the possibility of him being the next school shooter and using that.

CA_Libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

<sarcasm>
Guns are so evil, we obviously need to increase our taxes to fund more police officers. We need at least two on each school campus as well as one on each corner. Since our current laws don't deter this type of behavior, we also need to make more laws.

Yes, pumping more money into a failing bureuacracy is the solution! </sarcasm>

:cuss:

When are the people of California going to wake up?