• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry arsenal

HungSquirrel

imported post

Baby Eagle Compact 9mm (polymer frame, polygonal rifling version) in a Fobus retention paddle holster. I CC at the 4 o'clock and OC* in the 3 o'clock position.

*Rarely...refer to vmathis' case if you want to know why.

photo9vb6.jpg

photo21el2.jpg

UTOC-45-44

imported post

vmathis12019 wrote:
Mainsail wrote:
No, I don’t carry all of this.

Knives: SOG Pentagon and Spyderco Military w/Carbon fiber handle

Guns: Sig P239 9mm and Sig GSR Revolution 1911 .45

Holster: Milt Sparks Versa-Max

Flashlight: Surefire G2

Sunglasses: Oakley Juliets

516e33c9-35c9-4188-bfa3-d44034994519.jpg

Nice shades. I'll trade ya!

Also to Demarest:

I too was wondering about the handcuffs. Seems like unless you're LEO or Bail Enforcement, they would only serve to get you into trouble. I could see the benefits of them though. Pull on an attacker, he surrenders, you can subdue him via the handcuffs till cops arrive. I ask because my dad (reserve cop) gave me a pair of his cuffs for just such an occasion. I have them in my house, and keep them on my nightstand (assume what you want... they are near my gun....lol) and if ever I hear a bump in the night, they go straight into my pocket. Again, if you're not LEO, it just seems too easy to get slapped with some bogus impersonating a police officer charge.

Utah code concerning Citizens Arrest:

77-7-1 "Arrest" defined - Restraint allowed.

An arrest is an actual restraint of the person arrested or submission to custody. The person shall not be subjected to any more restraint than is necessary for his arrest and detention.

77-7-3 By private persons.

A private person may arrest another:
(1) For a public offense committed or attempted in his presence; or
(2) When a felony has been committed and he has reasonable cause to believe the person arrested has committed it.

77-7-6 Manner of making arrest.

(1) The person making the arrest shall inform the person being arrested of his intention, cause, and authority to arrest him. Such notice shall not be required when:
(a) there is reason to believe the notice will endanger the life or safety of the officer or another person or will likely enable the party being arrested to escape;
(b) the person being arrested is actually engaged in the commission of, or an attempt to commit, an offense; or
(c) the person being arrested is pursued immediately after the commission of an offense or an escape.
(2) (a) If a hearing-impaired person, as defined in Subsection 78-24a-1 (2), is arrested for an alleged violation of a criminal law, including a local ordinance, the arresting officer shall assess the communicative abilities of the hearing-impaired person and conduct this notification, and any further notifications of rights, warnings, interrogations, or taking of statements, in a manner that accurately and effectively communicates with the hearing-impaired person including qualified interpreters, lip reading, pen and paper, typewriters, computers with print-out capability, and telecommunications devices for the deaf.
(b) Compliance with this subsection is a factor to be considered by any court when evaluating whether statements of a hearing-impaired person were made knowingly, voluntarily, and intelligently.

77-7-7 Force in making arrest.
If a person is being arrested and flees or forcibly resists after being informed of the intention to make the arrest, the person arresting may use reasonable force to effect the arrest. Deadly force may be used only as provided in Section 76-2-404 ***.

77-7-9 Weapons may be taken from prisoner.

Any person making an arrest may seize from the person arrested all weapons which he may have on or about his person.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

***76-2-404. Peace officer's use of deadly force.
(1) A peace officer, or any person acting by his command in his aid and assistance, is justified in using deadly force when:
(a) the officer is acting in obedience to and in accordance with the judgment of a competent court in executing a penalty of death under Subsection 77-18-5.5(3) or (4);
(b) effecting an arrest or preventing an escape from custody following an arrest, where the officer reasonably believes that deadly force is necessary to prevent the arrest from being defeated by escape; and
(i) the officer has probable cause to believe that the suspect has committed a felony offense involving the infliction or threatened infliction of death or serious bodily injury; or
(ii) the officer has probable cause to believe the suspect poses a threat of death or serious bodily injury to the officer or to others if apprehension is delayed; or
(c) the officer reasonably believes that the use of deadly force is necessary to prevent death or serious bodily injury to the officer or another person.
(2) If feasible, a verbal warning should be given by the officer prior to any use of deadly force under Subsection (1)(b) or (1)(c).

Amended by Chapter 51, 2004 General Session
Download Code Section Zipped WP 6/7/8 76_02024.ZIP 2,262 Bytes

[line]
Sections in this Chapter|Chapters in this Title|All Titles|Legislative Home Page

Last revised: Thursday, July 19, 2007

Bravo_Sierra

imported post

I just took a picture of my gear, I'll post it when my room mate emails it to me.

Updated:

bencarrieswhat.jpg

its blurry, but its a camera phone...

Glock 19
Surefire X200-A
S.O.E. Riggers Belt
Uncle Mike's 2-mag pouch
Smith and Wesson Extreme Ops Tanto folder
ALS Top Cop Pepper Spray
CPR micro shield on the keys
90 lumin flashlight and flint/steel
Smith and Wesson M100 duty cuffs and pouch
Safariland ALS 6038 retention II holster
Blackberry 7230

add a wallet and pocket money to that and its all I have on me... aside from my first aid kit in my backback.

XCon

imported post

Bravo_Sierra wrote:
I just took a picture of my gear, I'll post it when my room mate emails it to me.

Updated:

bencarrieswhat.jpg

Glock 19
Surefire X200-A
S.O.E. Riggers Belt
Uncle Mike's 2-mag pouch
ALS Top Cop Pepper Spray
Blackberry 7230

add a wallet and pocket money to that and its all I have on me... aside from my first aid kit in my backback.
why do you have handcuffs for?

Bravo_Sierra

imported post

Opsgear wrote:
Bravo_Sierra wrote:

Updated:

bencarrieswhat.jpg

Glock 19
Surefire X200-A
S.O.E. Riggers Belt
Uncle Mike's 2-mag pouch
ALS Top Cop Pepper Spray
Blackberry 7230

why do you have handcuffs for?
Why do you wear a seatbelt? If it's just because "that's they law," then this conversation is over.

I carry handcuffs because I can lawfully place someone under citizens arrest if needed. This was covered earlier in the topic.

Heartless_Conservative

imported post

I don't quite get the reason for non-LEO's to carry handcuffs. Sure its legal, but the whole point of self defense is to keep the bad guy away from yourself. Moving to contact distance seems like an excessive risk to me. LEO's have to get that close because its their job to arrest criminals instead of just chasing them off. Also, I was under the impression that LEO's are told to avoid attempting to physically restrain a suspect if they're alone, precisely because of the risk involved in getting that close to someone who doesn't have your best interests in mind.

So it just strikes me as a unnecessary item for most people.

WhiteRabbit22

imported post

If someone breaks in my house, and i happen to not shoot them (not likely), and I'm holding them at gunpoint till the cops get there, i'd rather put em in handcuffs so they don't try anything stupid that might make me shoot them justifiably. (Even though it's my right, I would never want to take a human life unless absolutely neccesary.)

Or maybe you wounded him, or he gave up, i'd still want him restrained till he can go to prison.

Mainsail

imported post

WhiteRabbit22 wrote:
If someone breaks in my house, and i happen to not shoot them (not likely), and I'm holding them at gunpoint till the cops get there, i'd rather put em in handcuffs so they don't try anything stupid that might make me shoot them justifiably. (Even though it's my right, I would never want to take a human life unless absolutely neccesary.)

Or maybe you wounded him, or he gave up, i'd still want him restrained till he can go to prison.

I agree with Heartless. I’d rather not get too close; certainly not close enough to handcuff anyone. Not only does it raise the potential for them to make a grab for your weapon, but there’s also the potential for communicable diseases I’d rather not be exposed to. Yes, I’m a little OCD.

Let the trained professionals do the cuffing, patting, and touching.

FightingGlock19

imported post

mystuff.jpg

Not all of the stuff goes with me everywhere I go. One of the Glock 19's and the S&W ExtremeOps knifegoes withthe wife & the 870 stays in the trunk of her car.

The other 19 stays on me all of the time, as well as the S&W SWAT 2 & SOGand the AK is my truck gun.

The Buck Knife is the 9 y/o's and the blue male opener is the 5 y/o's. The blue gun is for training w/the ankle biters on the weekend.

*edit to ad - The holster is a Blade-Tech IWB Kydex holster & the magazine carrier
is Blade-Tech's Kydex dual-magazine carrier.

WhiteRabbit22

imported post

Looks like you're well prepared for anything. Cept maybe an elephant, seeing as you don't have an elephant gun in the trunk.

Michigander

imported post

I carry my CZ52. On the off chance of a really bad police encounter, I'd rather carry my cheapest pistol.

Attachments

• CZ stuff 002.jpg
    CZ stuff 002.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 374

FightingGlock19

imported post

WhiteRabbit22 wrote:
Looks like you're well prepared for anything. Cept maybe an elephant, seeing as you don't have an elephant gun in the trunk.
well, there's no elephants in our AO & I'd rather save the coin for a side-folder AK to replace the 870 so we can return it to its former home defence gun status.

Marco

imported post

if it is your only gun or your only reliable gun then i totally understand
or your only non collectible(all others are safe queens)

Good thing my opinion doesn't count

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

Mainsail wrote:
Michigander wrote:
I carry my CZ52. On the off chance of a really bad police encounter, I'd rather carry my cheapest pistol.
Is OC illegal in Michigan?

OC is legal in Michigan, but not many do it. If you do not have a CPL you can't transport a handgun in a car except in a few very defined cases.

Answer A person is now permitted to transport a pistol for a lawful purpose if the owner or occupant of the vehicle is the registered owner of the firearm and the pistol is unloaded and in a closed case in the trunk of the vehicle. If the vehicle does not have a trunk, the pistol may be in the passenger compartment of the vehicle unloaded and inaccessible to the occupants of the vehicle.

The law defines ‘lawful purpose’ as:

• While en route to or from a hunting or target shooting area.
  • While transporting a pistol to or from home or place of business and a place of repair.
  • While moving goods from one place of residence or business to another place of residence or business.
  • While transporting a licensed pistol to or from a law enforcement agency for the purpose of having a safety inspection performed (registering the pistol) or to have a law enforcement official take possession of the pistol.
  • While en route to or from home or place of business to a gun show or place of purchase or sale.
  • While en route to or from home to a public shooting facility or land where the discharge of firearms is permitted.
  • While en route to or from home to private property where the pistol is to be used as permitted by law, rule, regulation, or local ordinance.
Federal Law on the Transportation of Firearms. Title 18 U.S.C. Section 926A

So a person without a CPL can NOT just drive around doing errand, etc, and legally have ahandgun in their car.

Wynder

State Researcher
imported post

I'm liking to S&W Extreme Ops folding knife -- anyone able to provide me with a link to the belt pouch you're using to carry it?