• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

State fair of Virginia....

Ghettokracker71

imported post

Last year when I went the state police had helicopters looking for a group of minorites and stopped the rides right near me to do so,we also had some people cut in line and get into a hardcore argurement with us about it when another bystander behind us called them out on it:shock:...first time I'd ever been

VCDL President

Centurion
imported post

I'm told there is nothing posted. However, they started 'wanding' people after 6 PM today I am told. If there is nothing posted, then I always suggest 'don't ask, don't tell'. I would get there early.

It is private property and not run by the state.

Of course, I am not a lawyer. :)

doug23838

imported post

State Fair-- OC/CC ? The State Fair is NG

No Go.

The state fair is held on private property and in the past, has been visibily "no guns". I don't see that info on their web site this year.

If I had kids that insisted we go, I'd take a day off work, pull them from school and go during the day.

Too many goblins for me.

Virginiaplanter

imported post

"It is not conceivable that a city can provide the ways and means for a private individual or corporation to discriminate against its own citizens...The Judgment of this court is not rendered without the full realization of the impact of this decision on the State Park system in Virginia. The future course rests in the hands of the elected and appointed representatives of the Commonwealth. This opinion follows the law as set forth in all decided cases touching on the subject matter, and it is rather significant that no legal authority has been cited by the defendants to justify any other conclusion. The contention that a normal lessor-lessee relationship should be permitted in leases of public property must give way to the constitutional rights of the citizens as a whole.

A decree will be entered in the form of a declaratory judgment stating the Plaintiff's rights to use and enjoy the facilities at Seashore State Park have been violated under the Constitution of the United States, and a permanent federal injunction will be granted..." Tate v. Department of Conservation and Development 133 F. Supp. 53 (1955)."

It is a rule of agency that “its agents would have no implied authority to do what the principal itself is not empowered to do.” Amalgamated Clothing W’k’rs v. Kiser, 174 Va. 229 (1940).

LEO 229

imported post

VCDL President wrote:
I'm told there is nothing posted. However, they started 'wanding' people after 6 PM today I am told. If there is nothing posted, then I always suggest 'don't ask, don't tell'. I would get there early.

It is private property and not run by the state.

Of course, I am not a lawyer. :)
I agree....

It is a private company that normally hold the event on private property. Their rules all the way.

Even if they held it on county or state property.... They rent the land but inside the fence is a business like any other. They would still have sole discretion on people being armed.

Keeping in mind that fairs are more geared towards the enjoyment of kids.... guns are likely not welcome all that much.

Suggestion.... You can always CC so the other parents do not complain and get you ejected. Remember..... your a customer.. they can kick you out for any reason. ;)

Shortie

imported post

The state fair is one place that I will never step foot again. A couple of years ago, I took the kids and the wife for what would have been a day of fun. We got to the gate on Laburnum, bought our tickets and proceeded to the entrance. Just then I noticed they were wanding everybody. Had my PM9 in my front pocket so I decided to go in first. The want went off so I told them that I had a concealed weapon. I was told that I had to leave it in the car. I wasn’t about to do that so I asked for my ticket but they would not give it back because they said that they had already dropped it in the collection box. I can’t remember his exact words but the Henrico officer that was working the gate told me that I can’t carry a concealed weapon in an event. Of course we know he’s wrong.

I was pretty upset but we were actually leaving town for the weekend that afternoon so I did not want to waste our time. My mistake was not taking names and also I went ahead and took our chances even when I saw them wanding.

I emailed Jay Luger and explained to him what happened. I can’t even remember to tell you what his reply was.

So, unless they change their policy, we will not be going there again.

Tomahawk

imported post

They wand people for a state fair?

What is this, a nightclub or something with drunks getting into knife fights on the dance floor when some thug steps to you, Snoopdog?

I swear, people are so conditioned to put up with too much police-state BS.

DrMark

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

Tomahawk wrote:
They wand people for a state fair?
Yeah, that seems pretty odd, but I've never been.

Isn't this like farmers showing off their prized pigs and big pumpkins? Maybe some square dancing thrown in?

Why would they wand people?

Skeptic

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Knowing the neighborhood, I could see why they would wand people.

Seeing the large number of thugs at the fair last year after school let out, no way I would go there without being armed - especially for the walk from the gate to the truck on the way out. There is no one to protect you once you leave the gates - that is, if they can even protect you inside the gates.

If you have a CHP, I do not see why they would want to exclude you from carrying. I guess I will find out tomorrow. :( I am gonna go for the don't ask don't tell and hope they don't wand.

Granted, inside the fair it is crowded, so you really need to be extra careful about over penetration (not to mention missing outright. )