Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: first oc experience

Post imported post

wasnt too exciting, oc'd in schucks in monroe, got an odd look from one of the cashiers. a couple of patrons noticed but quickley looked away. also oc'd in the bp in monroe, and i have to say that was the first time the lady was nice to me. ive never been respected so much at that station. now that i have oc'd, i know ill be more comfortable doing it in the future. i was surprised that i wasnt very nervous. hopefully my future oc experiences go this well.

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

This is how most of them will go.

Well, done. Carry on!
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

Post imported post

There's nothin to be nervous about, man. It's legal, you cant get in trouble for it. At most they can ask you to leave. Big whoop. Besides... if anybody REALLY starts any drama, atleast you got a gun on your side and can take care of it! lol

Post imported post

ya, i oc'd a few more times today. once this morning at around 6am at a gas staion, she seemed a little nervous, but didnt say anything. and then again in marysville at the thriftway. the cashier noticed it, but nothing was said. a few people outside the store and inside noticed. i could feel their eyes burning into my holster. ive never felt so respected and safe before.

Post imported post

btw, i was wearing a black short sleeve shirt over a black long sleeve shirt, tucked in, and my i used my all black shoulder harness. so it probably isnt as noticeable as if i were wearing a lighter colored shirt.

one quick question. when traveling in a vehicle, is it legal for me to have my pistol in my shoulder holster without a mag in it? because ive been going around like that. i get in the vehicle, slide the mag out and put it in the mag holster on my opposite side. think they will have a prob with this?

Post imported post

Johnboy wrote:
    one quick question. when traveling in a vehicle, is it legal for me to have my pistol in my shoulder holster without a mag in it? because ive been going around like that. i get in the vehicle, slide the mag out and put it in the mag holster on my opposite side. think they will have a prob with this?
    Just get your CPL. In addition to clearing up the carry-in-your-car situation, OC in a shoulder holster may be on the borderline of "open" vs. "concealed" (at least in WA). An officer might give you grief about carrying concealed.

When I spoke to a part-time LEO coworker about open vs. concealed a while back, he said something along the lines of "inadvertently obscuring the firearm - like with your arm - may be considered concealing it."

Why risk it?

That said, no magazine inserted and no round in the chamber is "unloaded" per 9.41.010, so you should be fine w/r/t 9.41.050

Campaign Veteran Right Wing Wacko's Avatar

Post imported post

That all depends on one thing! Do you have a CPL?

If you have a CPL, you can carry in the car LOADED if you want.
    RCW 9.41.050

(2)(a) A person shall not carry or place a loaded pistol in any vehicle unless the person has a license to carry a concealed pistol and: (i) The pistol is on the licensee's person, (ii) the licensee is within the vehicle at all times that the pistol is there, or (iii) the licensee is away from the vehicle and the pistol is locked within the vehicle and concealed from view from outside the vehicle.

Otherwise I beleive RCW 9.41.060 applies:
    (9) Any person while carrying a pistol unloaded and in a closed opaque case or secure wrapper;

Post imported post

John Hardin wrote:
    Johnboy wrote:
    Just get your CCW. In addition to clearing up the carry-in-your-car situation, OC in a shoulder holster may be on the borderline of "open" vs. "concealed" (at least in WA). An officer might give you grief about carrying concealed.

When I spoke to a part-time LEO coworker about open vs. concealed a while back, he said something along the lines of "inadvertently obscuring the firearm - like with your arm - may be considered concealing it."

Why risk it?

That said, no magazine inserted and no round in the chamber is "unloaded" per 9.41.010, so you should be fine w/r/t 9.41.050
    i should recieve my cpl within a week or so. in which case i wont be so worried about it. i was just curious.

Post imported post

i get in the vehicle, slide the mag out and put it in the mag holster on my opposite side.
    No mention of what you do with the round in the chamber. If you're using Israeli Carry, no problem; but if not, your firearm is still loaded due to the round in the chamber.

Post imported post

Right Wing Wacko wrote:
    That all depends on one thing! Do you have a CPL?

If you have a CPL, you can carry in the car LOADED if you want.
    RCW 9.41.050

(2)(a) A person shall not carry or place a loaded pistol in any vehicle unless the person has a license to carry a concealed pistol and: (i) The pistol is on the licensee's person, (ii) the licensee is within the vehicle at all times that the pistol is there, or (iii) the licensee is away from the vehicle and the pistol is locked within the vehicle and concealed from view from outside the vehicle.

Otherwise I beleive RCW 9.41.060 applies:
    (9) Any person while carrying a pistol unloaded and in a closed opaque case or secure wrapper;
    Because of the wording in 9.41.050 a person who carries an unloaded pistol on thier personwhile in thier car not in an opaque case is OK.
    "A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."

"though I walk through the valley in the shadow of death, I fear no evil, for I know that you are by my side" Glock 23:40

Post imported post

kparker wrote:
    i get in the vehicle, slide the mag out and put it in the mag holster on my opposite side.
    No mention of what you do with the round in the chamber. If you're using Israeli Carry, no problem; but if not, your firearm is still loaded due to the round in the chamber.

i dont actually chamber one. i wont do that untill i have my cpl. even if im open carry is unloaded. i know that having one chambered could mean the difference between life and death but, i dont wanna be hasselled yet.

also, what is Israeli carry?

Post imported post

Exactly what you are doing... carrying without one in the chamber... It is the way the Israeli army trains... Keep in mind that they spend a lot of time learning how to chamber during the draw so that they only have a slight tactical disadvantage doing this.

Post imported post

This is the first I have heard of this mode of carry refered to as Isreali carry.

I believe Jeff Cooper established this as Condition 3 carry-Uncocked with no round in chamber.

Condition 2 is Uncocked (hammer down) with round in chamber.

Condition 1 is Cocked and saftey on with round in chamber.

This generaly applys to single action automatics like the 1911, but is useful in reference to all pistols.

Bill

Post imported post

Bill45 wrote:
    This is the first I have heard of this mode of carry refered to as Isreali carry.

I believe Jeff Cooper established this as Condition 3 carry-Uncocked with no round in chamber.

This generaly applys to single action automatics like the 1911, but is useful in reference to all pistols.

Bill
    Google or Yahoo "Israeli carry"... you will see it mentioned repeatedly.

Post imported post

Bill45 wrote:

Bill
    So if I OCmy 1911 the way it is intended to be carried ( condition one ) will I be arrested for "mexican carry"

Post imported post

joshmmm wrote:
    Exactly what you are doing... carrying without one in the chamber... It is the way the Israeli army trains... Keep in mind that they spend a lot of time learning how to chamber during the draw so that they only have a slight tactical disadvantage doing this.
    wow, didnt know that. once i get my concealed ill keep one in, just so ill have a 1 second advantage. :celebrate

Post imported post

Bill45
    Welcome

Agent 47
    So if I OC my 1911 the way it is intended to be carried ( condition one ) will I be arrested for "mexican carry"
    There was an individual who was arrested for this at Greenlake, (don't have article ready) but he was not using a holster.
    "...our media are palace eunuchs gazing avidly at the harem of power and stroking their impotent pens in time to the rape of our liberties."
    -Sarah Hoyt

"America is at that awkward stage; it's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards."
    -Claire Wolfe

Post imported post

"Mexican Carry"is a gun tucked in your waistband without any holster at all. It has nothing to do with Conditional carry. BTW the 1911 was "intended" that is designed,to be carried in Cooper's Condition Two. Carrying it cocked and locked (Condition One) in a holster is legally no different than carrying inCondition Two or Three.

I grew up in Kentucky where open carry has been lawfull since Daniel Boone. I was a policeman there for eleven years, longbefore KY had concealed carry. According to an Attornty General's Opinion, if enough of a holster was visible to determine that it was in facta handgun holster it was not considered concealed. By the same token "Mexican Carry " was not deemed to be concealed.

It's that way in many states. If it wasn't then technically a full flap holster could be considered concealed.

Post imported post

I open carry all over Monroe all of the time. I don't think anyone at the Schucks has ever even noticed.

The AM-PM on 2 right at the city limits has never had a problem with it at all either. In fact when I first moved here from Mountlake Terrace last March I was talking to the graveyard shift manager about guns and rights and America in general. He always refused to charge me for fountain drinks. He's since transferred to a different AM-PM on Woodenville and I've carrried in there a few times too. One of the cashiers there asked me once if i was a cop and I said not anymore and he told her, "No, he's just a good American." Made me feel rather proud.

I've gotten a few odd looks at Fred Meyer's butso farno one has ever said anything. I think the fact that I usually carry a 3" or 4" N-Frame S&W revolver makes me look less like a madman. Of course being over 50 and looking it also helps prevent anyone from becoming "alarmed".

Post imported post

BluesBear wrote:
    BTW the 1911 was "intended" that is designed,to be carried in Cooper's Condition Two.
    WARNING: carrying a standard-model 1911 in condition 2 is NOT SAFE! With the hammer down and a round in the chamber a blow to the hammer will likely discharge the round!

If you are carrying a loaded 1911, PLEASE carry it in condition 1.

Are there any modern 1911-style pistols that have added a transfer bar?

Post imported post

Good thing I got me a Sig Sauer... gotta love that decocking hammer.

Post imported post

Make sure you use it. Decocking by pulling the trigger with your thumb on the hammer can give you essentially a 1911 in condition 2.

I don't remember exactly where I saw it, but I think it was one of Ayoob's articles in Guns and Ammo... a LEO had decocked on a live round that way, and was carrying the pistol holstered on a stack of books. It slipped off, landed on the hammer, and discharged - up through his head. Not good.

Post imported post

My Kimber Pro TLE II, and I believe all other Kimber models, can NOT be carried in condition 2. They do not have a decocking lever. There is a hammer safety stop which is a notch on the hammer which prevents it from falling fully forward in the event of primary sear notch failure. From the manual:
    "The safety stop is not a manual safety! Do not under any circumstances use the safety stop as a “half cock” position. This misuse can result in damage to the sear, and/or unintentional discharge of the pistol. The safety stop position is an automatically engaging safety feature and should never be engaged by hand!"

Post imported post

Wow! All these names for different carry modes. I always thought "mexican carry" was a gun just tucked in the front of your waistband. Now Israeli Carry. If a gun in the waistband at the front of your pants is a Mexican Carry would one carried on the opposite side be a "Canadian Carry
    "If I shoot all the ammo I am carrying I either won't need anymore or more won't help"

"If you refuse to stand up for others now, who will stand up for you when your time comes?"

Post imported post

amlevin wrote:
    If a gun in the waistband at the front of your pants is a Mexican Carry would one carried on the opposite side be a "Canadian Carry
    Maybe, if Canadians were allowed to have pistols... :P

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast