Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 3 weeks out

Post imported post

I had to pass on the last gathering as I wasn't up in the sound area that weekend, but it looks like I'll be nearby for Octobers meet, so I thought I'd start teh discussion.

Obviously I lean more towards an Olympia/Tacoma location since I'm already driving up from Vancouver, but there's something appealing in my mind to gathering in one of the more 'touristy' area of Seattle too, even though it would make for about a 4 hour round trip from Shelton* where I stay on my weekend visits.

An outdor picnic would be nice, but with the weather turning towards the winter rains I'm thining the plan should revolve around an indoor venue. Maybe someplace with patio seating on the off chance of good weather?

* A ferry from Bremerton to DT Seattle may be the way to go...

Post imported post

Bellevue or Kirkland might be nice. I haven't made the last two, so I really want to see who's showing up these days. Maybe a roundtable pizza or something like that would be appropriate. I'd suggest Sbarro in Bellevue Square mall, but that's maybe pushing it a little bit Anyway, a pizza place sounds like it would be agreeable for most people.

So where are we going to have this, people? Like always, anyone's input is appreciated because otherwise this just ends up being a last minute decision. So even if you haven't joined us before, go ahead and throw out ideas.

Post imported post

So we're looking at Sunday, 21 Oct, correct? What time.

I am going to try to make it if in King or Pierce County. I work that night, so if it was later in the afternoon (like around 4) and in Seattle or Tukwila, then I would just go from there to work.

Good idea nailing this down a little more in advance.

Post imported post

I thought we had moved the meets to sundays, so that's something we need to discuss as well. Are we doing the 3rd saturday of the month or the 3rd sunday of the month?

Post imported post

It was to my understanding that Lonnie could generally only meet up on Saturdays, which is why we have it on Saturdays. Sorry if this is incorrect.

State Researcher

Post imported post

Oly sounds like fun (please note, I am NOT biased at all towards that particluar choice ) I work on Saturday and Sunday, and usually only have evenings or late afternoons available depending on what is going on during those days. If anyone wants a Monday or Tuesday get together I would almost always be game for that.

Steve

Post imported post

G27 wrote:
    It was to my understanding that Lonnie could generally only meet up on Saturdays, which is why we have it on Saturdays. Sorry if this is incorrect.
    According to the September lunch thread Lonnie can only meet on Sundays.

Post imported post

Weekends are going to be tough for the next couple months... Huskies play on Saturday, Seahawks on Sunday. I imagine I am not the only person who is committed to watching the games (I have open invitations at my house to far too many people to cancel).

However, Sunday the 28th (4th Sunday) there is no football game. Which also means there is less traffic. Does that work for everyone?

Post imported post

evenings are starting to be the resounding feeling.

Post imported post

If you ever want to have a get together in the Marysville/Arlington area let me know. I have a very suitable location.

Post imported post

I'm expecting to be hungover on that particular Sunday.

Post imported post

Since I've missed the last 2 times, I'll have to be there this time; I've gotten all this car BS pretty much out of the way so I'll be free. What about that Beth's Cafe place? They sound pretty good, and weren't they the ones with the really good prices? I'd be up for a gathering in the evening, as long as it wasn't too late on Sunday (have to work the next day....)

Post imported post

compmanio365 wrote:
    Since I've missed the last 2 times, I'll have to be there this time; I've gotten all this car BS pretty much out of the way so I'll be free. What about that Beth's Cafe place? They sound pretty good, and weren't they the ones with the really good prices? I'd be up for a gathering in the evening, as long as it wasn't too late on Sunday (have to work the next day....)
    They do have decent prices (~$15 for a 6 egg omelette and coffee, you won't go home hungry) and they are open 24hrs. I too get up early on Monday (5:30am), so wouldn't want to be out too late.

The location is on Hwy 99/Aurora at the NW tip of Greenlake; think around 73th or 75th Ave. Easiest way to get there from I-5 is to take the 85th (85th/80th for Southbound; take 80th {left at the fork}, it's quicker) exit and follow it to Hwy 99/Aurora, then turn left/South and go down until you pass the Gun Shop and Yamaha Dealershipon the right and Beth's Cafe is just after the next intersection.
    B.S. Chemistry UofWA '09
    KF7GEA

Post imported post

So, Sunday the 21st at Beth's Cafe at what time in the evening? 5PM sound good? Time to eat, chat, and get home for work the next day......

Post imported post

compmanio365 wrote:
    So, Sunday the 21st at Beth's Cafe at what time in the evening? 5PM sound good? Time to eat, chat, and get home for work the next day......
    Seahawks game should be over by ~5... maybe 6 or 6:30 so we all don't hit traffic too bad?

Post imported post

expvideo wrote:
    Really? When did that happen? I generally eat dinner around that time, not lunch. I'd be interested in a lunch meeting.

Post imported post

Mainsail wrote:
    expvideo wrote:
    Really? When did that happen? I generally eat dinner around that time, not lunch. I'd be interested in a lunch meeting.
    Many of us can't do lunch... and others just prefer evening... look at the posts above...

For me, personally, in the fall, on both Saturdays and Sundays, there is football... Others seemed to be indicating a pref for evenings as well... generally, nobody has commitments on Sunday evenings...

Post imported post

Eh, somehow sitting on my duff watching a bunch of guys I don’t know run around a football field and have fun seems kind of silly when I could be outside doing something fun myself. It looks like I’ll be missing this one. RWW; if you want to meet for lunch before you go to work, let me know.

Post imported post

joshmmm wrote:
    Others seemed to be indicating a pref for evenings as well... generally, nobody has commitments on Sunday evenings...
    I have to be at Beoing Field by 5:45, so 3:00 would be okay, 4:00 would be cutting it close. Sorry, forgot about football.

Post imported post

Mainsail wrote:
    Eh, somehow sitting on my duff watching a bunch of guys I don’t know run around and have fun seems kind of silly when I could be outside doing something fun myself. It looks like I’ll be missing this one. RWW; if you want to meet for lunch before you go to work, let me know.
    On the other hand... going to a game with all of your friends, barbecuing in the Montlake parking lot, drinking beer in the great expanse of asphalt, seeing old college friends, stopping by the old fraternity, etc. is a lot of fun on Saturday.

Going to your friend's house or having people over, having a beer or two, watching the game, chatting, making bets, etc. on Sunday is a nice way to enjoy a Sunday with good company.

The games are really secondary to the comraderie and hanging with friends, but the get togethers revolve around the games :-)

Post imported post

Why not have a 2 or 3pm lunch get together as well as a 6pm dinner meeting?

Who knows, maybe a few of us whostrongly support the cause orhave no life could attend both?

Post imported post

BluesBear wrote:
    Why not have a 2 or 3pm lunch get together as well as a 6pm dinner meeting?

Who knows, maybe a few of us whostrongly support the cause orhave no life could attend both?
    I think this is a good idea. There are some people that just can't make a lunch and some that just can't make dinner, no matter what time we set them for. Why don't we make it easier on everybody. A saturday lunch, and a sunday dinner. If you can make both then great, but that way just about everyone can make one of them. It would also give us an opportunity to make one of them easier for the south of seattle people and one closer to the north of seattle people.

I like the idea, BluesBear.

Post imported post

Just for information, Saturday the 20th (and Sunday the 21st) is the Monroe and Centralia Gun shows.I don't know about anyone else but I try to make Saturday my gun show day so I couldn't do a Saturday Lunch. (Actually I usually go to both of those shows. Monroe because I live five minutes away from the fairgroundsand Centralia because it's just a damn fine show). But then in 2008 I plan on setting up at the shows so I probably couldn't make any Sunday events.

Just tossing out some suggestions here;

• Could we do a Dinner on Sunday the 21st and a Lunch on Saturday the 27 or Sunday the 28th?
    • In the future we could schedule the get together location close to the gun shows so those of us who are so inclined(or working the shows)could do both? For instance I could probably find a restaraunt in the Monroe areawho would welcome us with open carry on show weekends.
    • Could we do two get togethers per month? Say lunch on the first Sunday and Dinner on the third Sunday? (And possibly a late night snack on the rare fifth Sunday?)
    Just brainstorming.

Post imported post

I want to start going to gun shows, but I haven't wanted to pay for a membership. I guess you can't do one without the other, so I should just buck up and get the darn membership.

Post imported post

Well, when you figure that WAC membership is $40 per year and we have 22 shows per year that's less than $2 per show. AND you get The Gun News every month which has better articles than some real magazines. The way I look at it is I'm paying for the magazine and I get to go to the shows for free.

Now when I go to Centrailia or anyplace else I have to pay $5 admission. As often as I go I wish I could "join" there too.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast