• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

3 weeks out

Phssthpok

imported post

I had to pass on the last gathering as I wasn't up in the sound area that weekend, but it looks like I'll be nearby for Octobers meet, so I thought I'd start teh discussion.

Obviously I lean more towards an Olympia/Tacoma location since I'm already driving up from Vancouver, but there's something appealing in my mind to gathering in one of the more 'touristy' area of Seattle too, even though it would make for about a 4 hour round trip from Shelton* where I stay on my weekend visits.

An outdor picnic would be nice, but with the weather turning towards the winter rains I'm thining the plan should revolve around an indoor venue. Maybe someplace with patio seating on the off chance of good weather?

* A ferry from Bremerton to DT Seattle may be the way to go...

expvideo

imported post

Bellevue or Kirkland might be nice. I haven't made the last two, so I really want to see who's showing up these days. Maybe a roundtable pizza or something like that would be appropriate. I'd suggest Sbarro in Bellevue Square mall, but that's maybe pushing it a little bit :D Anyway, a pizza place sounds like it would be agreeable for most people.

So where are we going to have this, people? Like always, anyone's input is appreciated because otherwise this just ends up being a last minute decision. So even if you haven't joined us before, go ahead and throw out ideas.

Gene Beasley

imported post

So we're looking at Sunday, 21 Oct, correct? What time.

I am going to try to make it if in King or Pierce County. I work that night, so if it was later in the afternoon (like around 4) and in Seattle or Tukwila, then I would just go from there to work.

Good idea nailing this down a little more in advance.

expvideo

imported post

I thought we had moved the meets to sundays, so that's something we need to discuss as well. Are we doing the 3rd saturday of the month or the 3rd sunday of the month?

G27

imported post

It was to my understanding that Lonnie could generally only meet up on Saturdays, which is why we have it on Saturdays. Sorry if this is incorrect.

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

Oly sounds like fun (please note, I am NOT biased at all towards that particluar choice :lol:) I work on Saturday and Sunday, and usually only have evenings or late afternoons available depending on what is going on during those days. If anyone wants a Monday or Tuesday get together I would almost always be game for that.

Steve

joshmmm

imported post

G27 wrote:
It was to my understanding that Lonnie could generally only meet up on Saturdays, which is why we have it on Saturdays. Sorry if this is incorrect.
According to the September lunch thread Lonnie can only meet on Sundays.

joshmmm

imported post

Weekends are going to be tough for the next couple months... Huskies play on Saturday, Seahawks on Sunday. I imagine I am not the only person who is committed to watching the games (I have open invitations at my house to far too many people to cancel).

However, Sunday the 28th (4th Sunday) there is no football game. Which also means there is less traffic. Does that work for everyone?

compmanio365

imported post

Since I've missed the last 2 times, I'll have to be there this time; I've gotten all this car BS pretty much out of the way so I'll be free. What about that Beth's Cafe place? They sound pretty good, and weren't they the ones with the really good prices? I'd be up for a gathering in the evening, as long as it wasn't too late on Sunday (have to work the next day....)

just_a_car

imported post

compmanio365 wrote:
Since I've missed the last 2 times, I'll have to be there this time; I've gotten all this car BS pretty much out of the way so I'll be free. What about that Beth's Cafe place? They sound pretty good, and weren't they the ones with the really good prices? I'd be up for a gathering in the evening, as long as it wasn't too late on Sunday (have to work the next day....)
They do have decent prices (~$15 for a 6 egg omelette and coffee, you won't go home hungry) and they are open 24hrs. I too get up early on Monday (5:30am), so wouldn't want to be out too late.

The location is on Hwy 99/Aurora at the NW tip of Greenlake; think around 73th or 75th Ave. Easiest way to get there from I-5 is to take the 85th (85th/80th for Southbound; take 80th {left at the fork}, it's quicker) exit and follow it to Hwy 99/Aurora, then turn left/South and go down until you pass the Gun Shop and Yamaha Dealershipon the right and Beth's Cafe is just after the next intersection.

joshmmm

imported post

compmanio365 wrote:
So, Sunday the 21st at Beth's Cafe at what time in the evening? 5PM sound good? Time to eat, chat, and get home for work the next day......
Seahawks game should be over by ~5... maybe 6 or 6:30 so we all don't hit traffic too bad?

joshmmm

imported post

Mainsail wrote:
expvideo wrote:
evenings are starting to be the resounding feeling.
Really? When did that happen? I generally eat dinner around that time, not lunch. I'd be interested in a lunch meeting.

Many of us can't do lunch... and others just prefer evening... look at the posts above...

For me, personally, in the fall, on both Saturdays and Sundays, there is football... Others seemed to be indicating a pref for evenings as well... generally, nobody has commitments on Sunday evenings...

Mainsail

imported post

Eh, somehow sitting on my duff watching a bunch of guys I don’t know run around a football field and have fun seems kind of silly when I could be outside doing something fun myself. It looks like I’ll be missing this one. RWW; if you want to meet for lunch before you go to work, let me know.

Gene Beasley

imported post

joshmmm wrote:
Others seemed to be indicating a pref for evenings as well... generally, nobody has commitments on Sunday evenings...
I have to be at Beoing Field by 5:45, so 3:00 would be okay, 4:00 would be cutting it close. Sorry, forgot about football.

joshmmm

imported post

Mainsail wrote:
Eh, somehow sitting on my duff watching a bunch of guys I don’t know run around and have fun seems kind of silly when I could be outside doing something fun myself. It looks like I’ll be missing this one. RWW; if you want to meet for lunch before you go to work, let me know.

On the other hand... going to a game with all of your friends, barbecuing in the Montlake parking lot, drinking beer in the great expanse of asphalt, seeing old college friends, stopping by the old fraternity, etc. is a lot of fun on Saturday.

Going to your friend's house or having people over, having a beer or two, watching the game, chatting, making bets, etc. on Sunday is a nice way to enjoy a Sunday with good company.

The games are really secondary to the comraderie and hanging with friends, but the get togethers revolve around the games :)