Thread: DC vs HELLER!!!!!!

Post imported post

Supreme Court Justices will consider D.C. gun law constitutionality

Attached Images Attached Images

Post imported post

So, where shall we send our generous gifts to the SCOTUS justices? Er... maybe bribery is immoral...

Post imported post

hmmmm, I can't find any other news agencies reporting this.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." - Thomas Jefferson

Founder's Club Member - Moderator longwatch's Avatar

Post imported post

Looks like a late on Sunday press release, Im sure we will hear more this week.

My question is can you have an all night tailgate party at the Supreme court while you wait to get a seat?

Banned
    Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin, USA

Post imported post

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...093001198.html

Waiting in the wings from the District of Columbia is a potential showdown on the meaning of the Second Amendment and gun rights.

Post imported post

I would say that this has to potential to be the most far reaching decision on this issue that we will see in our lifetimes.

If they rule based on original intent and wording it could shake the foundations of every gun law on the books. Somehow I doubt that they will take such an aggressive route -I expect they will try to stay within the bounds of what the average Joe would consider "rational".

But somehow they will have to make some waves with somebody - either the pro-rights groups or the police state group. The gap between the original intent and the current state being enforced is too wide to straddle in a believablemanner.

Post imported post

The Supreme court hasn't agreed to hear the case yet.

http://www.supremecourtus.gov/docket/07-290.htm

The author of the article the OP cited jumped the gun (pardon the pun.)

SCOTUS has until Friday to say if they will hear the case or not.
    The problem with the internet is nobody can really tell when you’re serious and when you’re being sarcastic. –Abraham Lincoln

Post imported post

ChinChin wrote:
    The Supreme court hasn't agreed to hear the case yet.

http://www.supremecourtus.gov/docket/07-290.htm

The author of the article the OP cited jumped the gun (pardon the pun.)

SCOTUS has until Friday to say if they will hear the case or not.
    Hold the presses! A media outlet not giving the truth? Can't be!

Opt-Out Members

Post imported post

Does anybody here know the process by which the Supreme Court announces which cases are granted Cert and which ones are denied Cert?

Monday, I couple of cases were granted Cert, and I hear that they will make the final decision on DC vs Heller by Friday.

But is that Friday, or no later than Friday. In other words, could they decide on Heller Wednesday or Thursday?

Sometimes waiting is the hardest part.

Opt-Out Members

Post imported post

Just did some research on the SCOTUS web site.

http://www.supremecourtus.gov

Very interesting. I checked another case in progress and saw something interesting. Apparently, if Cert is granted, the petioner, in this case DC has to file their brief first. Respondent, Heller, has almost a month to examine DC's brief and file their own brief.

I would think that gives oursidea slight additional advantage. In addition to the overwhelming advantage of the wording of the Bill of Rights.

Post imported post

VAopencarry wrote:
    hmmmm, I can't find any other news agencies reporting this.
    The best place to go is directly to the source. The three lawyers litigating the case have a website with tons of great info.

http://www.dcguncase.com

The FAQ section is great.

Post imported post

Four more weeks of nail biting!

http://dcguncase.com/blog/2007/10/04/33/

We filed our response to D.C.’s cert petition today...

...D.C. now has the opportunity to file a reply brief. We expect the Supreme Court to announce in early November whether it will grant cert. We also have our
    conditional cross-petition pending, in which we have asked the Supreme Court to review the D.C. Circuit’s decision that only one of our clients, Rich Heller, has standing to challenge D.C.’s gun ban. So the remaining plaintiffs are still very much in the case.

State Researcher

Post imported post

Has anyone else really sat down and letthis sink in. I mean, if the Supreme Court either denies the appeal, or refuses to overturn it, we are finally looking at what we've been waiting for for 2 centuries. It seriously excites me. Not only for the people in DC, but for people everywhere who are subject to unfair litigation infringing upon their right to own guns.

Post imported post

cato wrote:
    Four more weeks of nail biting!

http://dcguncase.com/blog/2007/10/04/33/

We filed our response to D.C.’s cert petition today...

...D.C. now has the opportunity to file a reply brief. We expect the Supreme Court to announce in early November whether it will grant cert. We also have our
    conditional cross-petition pending, in which we have asked the Supreme Court to review the D.C. Circuit’s decision that only one of our clients, Rich Heller, has standing to challenge D.C.’s gun ban. So the remaining plaintiffs are still very much in the case.
    Excellent response to DC's lies, misrepresentations, twists, and half truths rhetoric.

This just goes to show that they're willing to do anything to support their fanatical cause.

Post imported post

This blog is always a good read and includes comments by Heller's Attorneys:

http://volokh.com/posts/1186937033.shtml#256571

Opt-Out Members

Post imported post

Read the brief and had my wife read it. Well worth it.... These Gura and Levy are fabulous. I can't believe that the Supreme Court Justices reading that breif wouldn't be impressed by it.

Yes, it is 4 more weeks of nail biting, but.... the Brady bunch is probably frustrated beyond belief, not that i'm complaining.

Opt-Out Members

Post imported post

I've got a question aboutCert.

When the Supreme Court denies or grants cert, does it reveal which justices voted which way on the issue?

If Cert is denied, it doesn't much matter. But if Cert is granted, it would be nice to see which justices want to review the case. It would certainly help in reading the tea leaves so to speak.

Banned
    Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin, USA

Post imported post

I glanced at http://www.supremecourtus.gov/orders.../092507pzr.pdf, that includes a Certiorari Granted section without mention of the particular Justices.

Opt-Out Members

Post imported post

Thats what I thought. Too bad that information isn't available.

Post imported post

BarryKirk wrote:
    I've got a question aboutCert.

When the Supreme Court denies or grants cert, does it reveal which justices voted which way on the issue?

If Cert is denied, it doesn't much matter. But if Cert is granted, it would be nice to see which justices want to review the case. It would certainly help in reading the tea leaves so to speak.
    I don't think it really matters which way the justices vote for cert. Because they could be voting to hear the case because they want to uphold it or becuase they want to overturn it. They could also deny cert because they agree with the lower court's decision and don't think they need to hear that particular case.

Meaning, I don't think their vote for or against cert will tell you anything about their jurisprudential view on the case itself.