• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

DC vs HELLER!!!!!!

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

Looks like a late on Sunday press release, Im sure we will hear more this week.

My question is can you have an all night tailgate party at the Supreme court while you wait to get a seat?

Basic Guy

imported post

I would say that this has to potential to be the most far reaching decision on this issue that we will see in our lifetimes.

If they rule based on original intent and wording it could shake the foundations of every gun law on the books. Somehow I doubt that they will take such an aggressive route -I expect they will try to stay within the bounds of what the average Joe would consider "rational".

But somehow they will have to make some waves with somebody - either the pro-rights groups or the police state group. The gap between the original intent and the current state being enforced is too wide to straddle in a believablemanner.

BarryKirk

Opt-Out Members
imported post

Does anybody here know the process by which the Supreme Court announces which cases are granted Cert and which ones are denied Cert?

Monday, I couple of cases were granted Cert, and I hear that they will make the final decision on DC vs Heller by Friday.

But is that Friday, or no later than Friday. In other words, could they decide on Heller Wednesday or Thursday?

Sometimes waiting is the hardest part.

BarryKirk

Opt-Out Members
imported post

Just did some research on the SCOTUS web site.

http://www.supremecourtus.gov

Very interesting. I checked another case in progress and saw something interesting. Apparently, if Cert is granted, the petioner, in this case DC has to file their brief first. Respondent, Heller, has almost a month to examine DC's brief and file their own brief.

I would think that gives oursidea slight additional advantage. In addition to the overwhelming advantage of the wording of the Bill of Rights.

cato

imported post

Four more weeks of nail biting!

http://dcguncase.com/blog/2007/10/04/33/

We filed our response to D.C.’s cert petition today...

...D.C. now has the opportunity to file a reply brief. We expect the Supreme Court to announce in early November whether it will grant cert. We also have our
conditional cross-petition pending, in which we have asked the Supreme Court to review the D.C. Circuit’s decision that only one of our clients, Rich Heller, has standing to challenge D.C.’s gun ban. So the remaining plaintiffs are still very much in the case.

vmathis12019

State Researcher
imported post

Has anyone else really sat down and letthis sink in. I mean, if the Supreme Court either denies the appeal, or refuses to overturn it, we are finally looking at what we've been waiting for for 2 centuries. It seriously excites me. Not only for the people in DC, but for people everywhere who are subject to unfair litigation infringing upon their right to own guns.

Toymaker

imported post

cato wrote:
Four more weeks of nail biting!

http://dcguncase.com/blog/2007/10/04/33/

We filed our response to D.C.’s cert petition today...

...D.C. now has the opportunity to file a reply brief. We expect the Supreme Court to announce in early November whether it will grant cert. We also have our
conditional cross-petition pending, in which we have asked the Supreme Court to review the D.C. Circuit’s decision that only one of our clients, Rich Heller, has standing to challenge D.C.’s gun ban. So the remaining plaintiffs are still very much in the case.

Excellent response to DC's lies, misrepresentations, twists, and half truths rhetoric.

This just goes to show that they're willing to do anything to support their fanatical cause.

BarryKirk

Opt-Out Members
imported post

Read the brief and had my wife read it. Well worth it.... These Gura and Levy are fabulous. I can't believe that the Supreme Court Justices reading that breif wouldn't be impressed by it.

Yes, it is 4 more weeks of nail biting, but.... the Brady bunch is probably frustrated beyond belief, not that i'm complaining.

BarryKirk

Opt-Out Members
imported post

I've got a question aboutCert.

When the Supreme Court denies or grants cert, does it reveal which justices voted which way on the issue?

If Cert is denied, it doesn't much matter. But if Cert is granted, it would be nice to see which justices want to review the case. It would certainly help in reading the tea leaves so to speak.

TEX1N

imported post

BarryKirk wrote:
I've got a question aboutCert.

When the Supreme Court denies or grants cert, does it reveal which justices voted which way on the issue?

If Cert is denied, it doesn't much matter. But if Cert is granted, it would be nice to see which justices want to review the case. It would certainly help in reading the tea leaves so to speak.
I don't think it really matters which way the justices vote for cert. Because they could be voting to hear the case because they want to uphold it or becuase they want to overturn it. They could also deny cert because they agree with the lower court's decision and don't think they need to hear that particular case.

Meaning, I don't think their vote for or against cert will tell you anything about their jurisprudential view on the case itself.