• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Is this the AG we want

Kelly J

imported post

http://www.redpills.org/?p=347

Sullivan is now in confirmation hearings for BATFE Director; and he is after your guns

27 Sep 2007

U.S. Attorney Michael Sullivan, who is the acting BATFE Director, is NOW undergoing Senate confirmation hearings. As has been shown in previous posts regarding the ATF, Sullivan is out to get your guns. If you do not believe me then for heaven’s sake read the previous redpills posts, then read below what Sen. ‘Chappaquiddick’ Kennedy, Sen. John ‘Swabbie’ Kerry, and Sen. ‘Chuckie’ Schumer have to say re: Sullivan and their wanting MORE gun tace data! Then read what Ryan Horsley of Red’s Trading Post has blogged then check out the Jews for the Preservation of Firearms Ownership site.
If you’re still with me, ask yourself, why do Bloomberg, Schumer, Kerry and Kennedy want MORE gun tracing data? Oh, yeah, they just want to send you a card on your birthday…yeah, that’s it, because they will have that data and oh, where you live. When, in the history of mankind, have the despotic powers that be, have the information where the guns are (or other primary means of citizen defense) AND they don’t eventually come and confiscate them or ‘encourage’ the owner to turn them in? I would love to be wrong on this. Tell me. When has it not happened?

You had better contact your Senator TODAY and ask them not to confirm Sullivan. Then keep after your Senator until we get a Director who believes that the proper function of government is to ensure the liberty of the citizens, not usurp it. Otherwise, kiss your AR and ‘06 good-bye. In my opinion, this is the real thing people.

Oh, and in case you forgot, it was the SOB who appointed Sullivanin the first place.

Confirmation hearing report follows:

U.S. Attorney Michael Sullivan fielded some tough questions about gun laws, but he also won praise at a Senate confirmation hearing Wednesday to become director of the federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.

Sullivan, a former Republican state legislator and district attorney, was nominated by President Bush for the job in March. He has been acting director of the agency for more than a year.

Sen. Edward Kennedy, D-Mass., who chaired the Senate Judiciary Committee hearing, lauded Sullivan’s “distinguished career in public service.”

Sen. John Kerry, D-Mass., introduced Sullivan at the hearing, praising both his professional abilities and his character.

“It is a job that he’s proven more than qualified and capable of performing,” said Kerry.

Sullivan also faced some grilling from Kennedy and Sen. Charles Schumer, D-N.Y., about whether the ATF would be willing to release more gun tracing data, a move the senators said could help state and local law agencies fight gun crime.

The ATF frequently refuses to share gun tracing information with local law enforcement investigating trends in gun crime, according to Schumer.

A provision in the Justice Department’s spending plan for next year prohibits ATF from releasing case-specific information to the public.

New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg has pushed for the information that he says will help local officials uncover dealers who sell guns that disproportionately end up in the hands of criminals.

But gun rights advocates such as the National Rifle Association, who successfully fought for the ban, said mayors want the data to sue out-of-state gun dealers. Gun rights supporters also say easing the ban could lead to the disclosure of police officers’ identities to criminals.

Sullivan said there has been past confusion about what data ATF could share. But he said he hopes ATF will provide more data.

“I’m optimistic that there will be even more information available than provided in the past,” he said.

The restrictions on gun tracing data began almost four years ago when Rep. Todd Tiahrt, R-Kan., succeeded in limiting the ATF from publicly revealing information from its gun trace database.

Sullivan was appointed U.S. attorney just one week before two planes hijacked from Boston’s Logan International Airport were used in the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks. He led the prosecution of would-be airplane shoe bomber Richard Reid when the international flight carrying Reid was diverted to Boston later that year

As U.S. attorney, Sullivan has been known for a tough stance on drug and gun cases. One judge criticized him publicly for burdening the federal system with cases that could be handled by state prosecutors.

Michael Loucks, a prosecutor who has been working as acting U.S. Attorney during Sullivan’s time in Washington, and Assistant U.S. Attorney Brian Kelly, head of the office’s public corruption unit, are among the names that have been floated as possible replacements for Sullivan.

Kelly J

imported post

WhiteFeather wrote:
Am I the only one who sees the irony in this??? They appoint a man who is named after another criminal who passed the Sullivan Act in NY that to this day keeps the average citizen from owning a firearm?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sullivan_Act

Thanks for passing that on KellyJ!

I can not understand what was on Bushes mind to appoint this guy.

imperialism2024

imported post

Kelly J wrote:
WhiteFeather wrote:
Am I the only one who sees the irony in this??? They appoint a man who is named after another criminal who passed the Sullivan Act in NY that to this day keeps the average citizen from owning a firearm?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sullivan_Act

Thanks for passing that on KellyJ!

I can not understand what was on Bushes mind to appoint this guy.
Because, as much as I like some of the things Bush has done, just like every other president, he like to try to expand the executive branch of government. Unfortunately, he relies on the simplistic equation in most Americans heads of "Guns+terrorists=9/11". Eh, I'll avoid going off on a tangent there.

Well, maybe we can compromise. How about just letting the BATFE keep a sales record of all gun sales? It's not registration, obviously (rolls eyes).

Demarest

imported post

We need a disbanding of the ATF more than we need a disbanding of the IRS. The ATF has been the single largest enemy of the Second Amendment to date. If the right of the people to keep and bear arms SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED, there is no justification for an authoritative body over it.

imperialism2024

imported post

Demarest wrote:
We need a disbanding of the ATF more than we need a disbanding of the IRS. The ATF has been the single largest enemy of the Second Amendment to date. If the right of the people to keep and bear arms SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED, there is no justification for an authoritative body over it.

Not just the 2nd amendment... It violates the 1st, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th, 8th, 9th and 10th amendments, some of those more egregiously than others. And that's just the Bill of Rights.