Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Plans for an open carry walk forming on Calguns.net

  1. #1
    State Pioneer ConditionThree's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Shasta County, California, USA
    Posts
    2,231

    Post imported post

    New to OPEN CARRY in California? Click and read this first...

    NA MALE SUBJ ON FOOT, LS NB 3 AGO HAD A HOLSTERED HANDGUN ON HIS RIGHT HIP. WAS NOT BRANDISHING THE WEAPON, BUT RP FOUND SUSPICIOUS.
    CL SUBJ IN COMPLIANCE WITH LAW


    Support the 2A in California - Shop Amazon for any item and up to 15% of all purchases go back to the Calguns Foundation. Enter through either of the following links
    www.calgunsfoundation.org/amazon
    www.shop42a.com

  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Santa Clarita, California, USA
    Posts
    49

    Post imported post

    I plan on attending if this actually gets organized and planned properly. Hopefully I'll have my handgun by then (I don't turn 21 until November ). If for some reason I don't, I'll wear an empty holster.

  3. #3
    State Researcher
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Stanislaus County, California, USA
    Posts
    2,586

    Post imported post

    CaliforniaCarry wrote:
    I plan on attending if this actually gets organized and planned properly. Hopefully I'll have my handgun by then (I don't turn 21 until November ). If for some reason I don't, I'll wear an empty holster.
    Do you have to be 21 to carry a gun? I know you can't buy one until you're 21, but as far as I know there's no law against you owning one or possessing one.

    I hope I can make it. As I posted over on CalGuns, my truck broke down on me recently, and I'm not sure I'll trust it on a long drive. If I can arrange a ride, I'm there - as much as I hate SF.
    Participant in the Free State Project - "Liberty in Our Lifetime" - www.freestateproject.org
    Supporter of the CalGuns Foundation - http://www.calgunsfoundation.org/
    Supporter of the Madison Society - www.madison-society.org


    Don't Tread On Me.

  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Santa Clarita, California, USA
    Posts
    49

    Post imported post

    CA_Libertarian wrote:
    Do you have to be 21 to carry a gun? I know you can't buy one until you're 21, but as far as I know there's no law against you owning one or possessing one.

    I hope I can make it. As I posted over on CalGuns, my truck broke down on me recently, and I'm not sure I'll trust it on a long drive. If I can arrange a ride, I'm there - as much as I hate SF.
    I don't think you have to be 21 to carry, but I'd like it be as difficult as possible for the media and law enforcement to harass us. In my opinion, the fewer laws that we call into question (e.g., the legality of loaning someone without a HSC a handgun, or the legality of persons under 21 possessing handguns), the less open we make ourselves to potential harassment. We should be as visibly within the law as possible while still attaining our goal. We'd already be pushing the limits of what Californians can handle simply by gathering together and OCing; I don't see a need to push our luck any farther if it's not neccessary.


  5. #5
    State Researcher
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Stanislaus County, California, USA
    Posts
    2,586

    Post imported post

    CaliforniaCarry wrote:
    I don't think you have to be 21 to carry, but I'd like it be as difficult as possible for the media and law enforcement to harass us. In my opinion, the fewer laws that we call into question (e.g., the legality of loaning someone without a HSC a handgun, or the legality of persons under 21 possessing handguns), the less open we make ourselves to potential harassment. We should be as visibly within the law as possible while still attaining our goal. We'd already be pushing the limits of what Californians can handle simply by gathering together and OCing; I don't see a need to push our luck any farther if it's not neccessary.
    We should not bend to the legality myths and whims of what is socially acceptable. That is how we lose more rights. What you suggest is that we not only obey stupid laws, but that we also bow to public opinion. That is no way to effect change.

    In fact, I think that obeying the law will not effect change; civil disobedience (i.e. carrying loaded down main street) is the best way to draw attention to our issue to get things fixed. The only reason I'm not willing to violate the statutes is because it would impede my exodus. When I get to New Hampshire, I'm sure I'll be arrested/fined for civil disobedience at some point (though probably not for firearm issues, as NH actually recognizes the 2nd Amendment).
    Participant in the Free State Project - "Liberty in Our Lifetime" - www.freestateproject.org
    Supporter of the CalGuns Foundation - http://www.calgunsfoundation.org/
    Supporter of the Madison Society - www.madison-society.org


    Don't Tread On Me.

  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Santa Clarita, California, USA
    Posts
    49

    Post imported post

    CA_Libertarian wrote:
    We should not bend to the legality myths and whims of what is socially acceptable. That is how we lose more rights. What you suggest is that we not only obey stupid laws, but that we also bow to public opinion. That is no way to effect change.

    In fact, I think that obeying the law will not effect change; civil disobedience (i.e. carrying loaded down main street) is the best way to draw attention to our issue to get things fixed. The only reason I'm not willing to violate the statutes is because it would impede my exodus. When I get to New Hampshire, I'm sure I'll be arrested/fined for civil disobedience at some point (though probably not for firearm issues, as NH actually recognizes the 2nd Amendment).
    In general, I agree with you, but we're doing this to focus on a single issue. In this case the goal of the OC walk is shall-issue reform. I hardly see how distracting the media from the main issue is beneficial. What you propose is that we all just go out and do whatever we feel we have a right to do, regardless of what the government says about it. That's hardly going to get us our rights back unless everyone does it at once, which just isn't going to happen. Our rights were lost over a period of years, what makes you think we are going to gain them back overnight?

    Furthermore, for some of us civil disobedience would be irresponsible. I cannot sacrifice the well-being of my family because I believe that the government should recognize my right to bear arms in public. The risk of being in a situation where I actually needed a sidearm to defend my family outside of my home is extremely small when compared with the risk of being arrested for carrying said sidearm in a manner inconsistent with the law.

  7. #7
    State Researcher
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Stanislaus County, California, USA
    Posts
    2,586

    Post imported post

    CaliforniaCarry wrote:
    In general, I agree with you, but we're doing this to focus on a single issue. In this case the goal of the OC walk is shall-issue reform. I hardly see how distracting the media from the main issue is beneficial. What you propose is that we all just go out and do whatever we feel we have a right to do, regardless of what the government says about it. That's hardly going to get us our rights back unless everyone does it at once, which just isn't going to happen. Our rights were lost over a period of years, what makes you think we are going to gain them back overnight?

    Furthermore, for some of us civil disobedience would be irresponsible. I cannot sacrifice the well-being of my family because I believe that the government should recognize my right to bear arms in public. The risk of being in a situation where I actually needed a sidearm to defend my family outside of my home is extremely small when compared with the risk of being arrested for carrying said sidearm in a manner inconsistent with the law.
    I personally could care less about permits. The state has no authority to permit any activity, and very little authority to prohibit it. We live in tyranny and socialism. The state is constantly expanding it's 'authority' by claiming it needs to take your freedom to give everyone 'safety.' In this case, they have taken everyone's safety to ensure it's grip on our lives.

    As for the risk involved. I say that each person must weigh their own risks. I would rather be in jail or dead than live under such opression and collectivism. Fortunately, there are still some semi-free places in the world. Slavery, death, or relocation; I take the latter.

    It saddens me to think that you prefer slavery for yourself and your family. It is shameful that our parents let things get so bad without a fight. The status quo is not good enough for me. My conscience cannot bear, 'there's nothing more I can do.'

    Maybe I was born 200 years too late. Where have all the patriots gone?

    "What country can preserve its liberties if its rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms."
    -- Thomas Jefferson to William Stephens Smith, 1787. ME 6:373, Papers 12:356

    Participant in the Free State Project - "Liberty in Our Lifetime" - www.freestateproject.org
    Supporter of the CalGuns Foundation - http://www.calgunsfoundation.org/
    Supporter of the Madison Society - www.madison-society.org


    Don't Tread On Me.

  8. #8
    Newbie cato's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    California, USA
    Posts
    2,335

    Post imported post

    CA_Libertarian wrote:
    CaliforniaCarry wrote:
    In general, I agree with you, but we're doing this to focus on a single issue. In this case the goal of the OC walk is shall-issue reform. I hardly see how distracting the media from the main issue is beneficial. What you propose is that we all just go out and do whatever we feel we have a right to do, regardless of what the government says about it. That's hardly going to get us our rights back unless everyone does it at once, which just isn't going to happen. Our rights were lost over a period of years, what makes you think we are going to gain them back overnight?

    Furthermore, for some of us civil disobedience would be irresponsible. I cannot sacrifice the well-being of my family because I believe that the government should recognize my right to bear arms in public. The risk of being in a situation where I actually needed a sidearm to defend my family outside of my home is extremely small when compared with the risk of being arrested for carrying said sidearm in a manner inconsistent with the law.
    I personally could care less about permits. The state has no authority to permit any activity, and very little authority to prohibit it. We live in tyranny and socialism. The state is constantly expanding it's 'authority' by claiming it needs to take your freedom to give everyone 'safety.' In this case, they have taken everyone's safety to ensure it's grip on our lives.

    As for the risk involved. I say that each person must weigh their own risks. I would rather be in jail or dead than live under such opression and collectivism. Fortunately, there are still some semi-free places in the world. Slavery, death, or relocation; I take the latter.

    It saddens me to think that you prefer slavery for yourself and your family. It is shameful that our parents let things get so bad without a fight. The status quo is not good enough for me. My conscience cannot bear, 'there's nothing more I can do.'

    Maybe I was born 200 years too late. Where have all the patriots gone?

    "What country can preserve its liberties if its rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms."
    -- Thomas Jefferson to William Stephens Smith, 1787. ME 6:373, Papers 12:356


    I agree, but let the calgunners build support around one issue (CCW reform) coupled with the basic right to self defense. If there are eventually hundreds and thousands joining OC walks then other issues will gain more traction. Patience and good planning can sway public opinion as that is all that is possible until Heller and son of Heller give our position a better legal standing in CA.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •