• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Heres a scary real life event to ponder

zepman

imported post

About a month ago at 1:30 AM we lost power at my house. My daughter had a friend spending the night and wanted to light some candles. I suggested we move them out to my very comfortable toy hauler/camper that just happened to be at my house at the time.I grabbed my .45 to check out the backyard and ensure my power hadnt been cut by an intruder. It turned out a drunk driver hit a powerpole again(3rd time in 6 months) so out the front door we went, my 17 year old son was right behind me with my daughters dog (Cockapoo) in his arms and the girls were grabbing their bedding.No sooner had my son cleared the gate a neighbors pit bull and rott started the attack.My son screamed and tried to hold on to "Goldie" but the pitt was too strong and yanked her away. I got there seconds later gun drawn and grabbed the Pitts collar to hold it still while I found its backbone with my muzzle. Before I could squeeze the pitts owner, hearing the commotion ran across the street and jumped on his dogs back blocking my shot.By the time I got him/owner off and drug the dogs(Goldie was in his jaws)onto the grass(rather then concrete) for a safe shot, beating the Pitt in the head with my M1911 all the way, I found myself in a Police officers flashlite, his gun drawn on ME and demanding I drop mine.Thinking that I dont want this to turn into a gunfight and endanger my kids who are now behind me screaming and crying while their dog is torn into shreds, I did. So now I am disarmed and have only my hands left to fight this shithead dog, so I did.Unfortunatly I suffered some bites in the process BUT was able to beat the pitt off our dog. Goldie was torn up beyond any animal I have ever seen that lived BUT she did and is now doing fine.The attacking dogs owner stepped up to the plate and has spent 4K so far on Goldies medical care.

So my point is here I was, on my property, defending my family from a pitt bull attack and I was disarmed by my own PD. He later said he just paniced when he saw the gun and wished I would have shot the dog before he got there. He offered no help during or after the attack. He and another patrol officer just stood by and watched. The reason they were so close is that the drunk that hit the powerpole took off running and as they drove by my street they saw the Pitt bull owner running toward my house and mistaked him for the "runner" they were after.

Our own officers are conditioned that guns are always bad and automatically a danger to them EVERTIME they are present. We are in deep shit ........................John

vmathis12019

State Researcher
imported post

Well... that whole thing sounds like the absolute worst possible scenario. I think you did the right thing, after all, who wants to be shot by an overzealous officer on your own property in front of your kids. I would issue a complaint with the PD. What if the dog had turned on you?

So many things could have gone so much worse, glad your dog was okay. That would definitely make me ponder my decision to live in a state that is so gun paranoid.

SP101

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Wow, that is a scarry story. I'm glad everything turned out alright, except for them disarming you. I can see their side of the story also, which I almost always do not. It must have been one hell of a commotion going on, and very confusing to the LEO's.

zepman

imported post

SP101 wrote:
Wow, that is a scarry story. I'm glad everything turned out alright, except for them disarming you. I can see their side of the story also, which I almost always do not. It must have been one hell of a commotion going on, and very confusing to the LEO's.
And that is the only reason I didnt file the report. I went as far as getting the paperwork and then I got a call from the officer that drew on me. I can see why he would have been confused, they are only human. His actions post disarming me will never make sense and he even couldnt come up with an excuse for doing nothing.........John

CA_Libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

zepman wrote:
His actions post disarming me will never make sense and he even couldnt come up with an excuse for doing nothing.........John
THAT is what you should file a complaint about. He disarmed you while your life was in danger, then proceeded to allow you to be injured. I think you should talk to an attorney and consider recouping some damages on this one, even if it's just pain & suffering.

It's fine & dandy that the officer admits he made a mistake. I can live with that if he can. However, it will keep happening more and more if we don't force the department to better train their employees. Hit them in the bank account and they'll at least have a motivation to fix the problem. That's the purpose of punitive damages.

Lew

imported post

Aren't we always reminding each other not to rush into situations we don't know anything about, not to jump to conclusions? The same goes for officers, or it should. I know they think that they're always in charge, but it still doesn't mean they know jack ****. Geah! I'm so steamed, and this happened to a guy on the internet! Been reading about too much crap going on lately. :cuss:I need a smoke.

Glad you're all okay, though, sincerely. More people die from dogs....well, than you'd think!

Cheers.

zepman

imported post

I am going to use this event to foster some trust between me and my city police. Both officers commented on the fact I showed amazing restraint and tactical awarness by realizing I was over concrete and there were bystanders around. Something they are not used to from Joe average.These are the kind of event that MAY lead to a growing trust between LE and the rest of us.I will keep you guys informed. I have had 3 hours of discussions with the officer so far (a SGT by the way:banghead:) that disarmed me. (I had to fight that beast, I couldnt letGoldie die in front of my kids and I would do it again tomorrow.....................John:cool:

TrueBrit

imported post

zepman wrote:
I am going to use this event to foster some trust between me and my city police. Both officers commented on the fact I showed amazing restraint and tactical awarness by realizing I was over concrete and there were bystanders around. Something they are not used to from Joe average.These are the kind of event that MAY lead to a growing trust between LE and the rest of us.I will keep you guys informed. I have had 3 hours of discussions with the officer so far (a SGT by the way:banghead:) that disarmed me. (I had to fight that beast, I couldnt letGoldie die in front of my kids and I would do it again tomorrow.....................John:cool:

Sir, my hat is off to you for your commendable restraint!

Easy to criticize the cops, I do it all the time, and I was not there, but it seems strange that the copdid not shootthe dog, having preventing you from doing so?

I hope that you and your pet recover soon.

TrueBrit.