Oak Park -- An off duty Detroit police officer shot a would-be carjacker Sunday night during an attempted robbery in front of the officer's home.
The incident occurred at about 9 p.m. on Marlow Street, just north of Nine Mile, according to Lt. Mike Pousak.
"A Detroit police officer, who lives in our town, had just pulled into his driveway when he was approached by a man coming up his driveway," Pousak said.
"The man announced a robbery and carjacking. He brandished a weapon, the officer brandished his weapon and the perpetrator lost. The officer fired and hit the perpetrator more than once. The wounded man was able to flee, but was apprehended a short distance away."
According to Pousak, the suspect was transported to Southfield Providence Hospital, where he underwent surgery.
"It looks like he's going to make it," Pousak said.
"We'll probably take the case to the prosecutor's office some time today. The suspect will be arraigned later at 45B District Court."
Evidence technicians from the Oakland County Sheriff's Department responded to the scene and a weapon was recovered. Pousak declined to identify the suspect, but said he appeared to be a former resident of Oak Park and is believed to be in his mid-20s.
The incident was the third carjacking since Sept. 21 that ended in a shooting.
On Sept. 21, Taylor resident Amanda Brown was sitting in a truck in a parking lot in Hamtramck when a man walked up and shot her in the head. The carjacker pulled Brown from the truck and drove away, only to abandon the truck a short distance away.
Brown lingered for two days before she was declared brain dead and was removed from life support. Shooting suspect Jeremy Rice, 23, later surrendered to Detroit police and has been arraigned on first degree murder charges.

Then on Sept. 27, an 18-year-old would-be carjacker was shot and killed by his potential victim outside of Detroit police headquarters at 1300 Beaubien. According to reports, the incident occurred at about 11 p.m. when Detroit resident Michael Evans, along with three companions, attempted to steal the car of a 36-year-old Troy man.
When Evans produced a handgun, so did the Troy man, who then shot Evans several times. Officers inside police headquarters responded to the gunshots and arrested Evans' three companions. According to reports, the Troy man produced a valid permit to carry and was released by police. He is not expected to be charged in the shooting.