• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Incident with Virginia State Police

just a guy with a Glock

imported post

Hello everyone, I'm a newbie here and hate to start off with a negative open carry experience but that is life. I have been open carry only for one year now and carrydaily,so I guess two bad experiences is notthat bad. I will post the details of my recent encounter with Virginia State Police at a rest stop in a few days after my formal complaints are filed. Basically the typical illegal detaining of an armed citizen, with an amusing twist.

I'm writing State Police Superintendent Flaherty, The State police director of Professional Standards/internal affairs, Bob Mcdonnell (Attorney General of Virginia) American Civil Liberties union of Virginia, The Rutherford Institute, Larry Pratt over at Gun owners of America, and filing a formal complaint under 42 usc 14141with the civil rights division at the US Department of Justice.

Now my question: Anyone else I should write ?

muzz3256

imported post

Not to sound negative, but can you give us a little more information, it sad that it happened, but difficult to give an opinion on what happened without more information.

ChinChin

imported post

As far as who to complain to, you seem to have a comprehensive and appropriate list. Not sure I'd include the ACLU, but that is based on my own low opinion of the orginazation, YMMV. I

The collective brain trust here on OCDO might be able to help you crafting that document, but without more information on the incident and reasons stated as to why your firearm was taken, help would be limited.

If you are not already a member, joining up with the VCDL (VCDL.org) would also be a good idea as they are a very recognizable guns right organization in the commonwealth, are well known to LEO agencies in the area as "those people who will come after government when they misbehave"and might be able to assist, depending on the facts of your encounter.

LEO 229

imported post

I think we all would be interested in hearing about the actual contact and what happened.

taurusfan

imported post

We sure love stories about police and gun toters here!

Attachments

• icon_popcorn.gif
    icon_popcorn.gif
    2.8 KB · Views: 648

VAopencarry

imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
I think we all would be interested in hearing about the actual contact and what happened.
Do you really need to hear? Just start defending the VSP now and get a head start on everyone else defending the OC'er. He was probably standing near a vending machine at the rest stop, there is money in the machine, he should have known better and hopefully he learned his lesson. That should cover it..........:lol:

TrueBrit

imported post

VAopencarry wrote:
LEO 229 wrote:
Do you really need to hear? Just start defeding the VSP now and get a head start on everyone else defending the OC'er. He was probably standing near a vending machine at the rest stop, there is money in the machine, he should have known better and hopefully he learned his lesson. That should cover it..........:lol:

Nah, he went to use the rest room, and an al Queda sniper opened up on him.Being a proper sort of guy, he returned fire, but unfortunately he perforated the top crown of the mountie hat of the VSP cop, who was coming out of the Krispy Kreme at the time. Much consternation and confusion ensued....

Welcome to OCDO, Sir, and ignore my warped sense of humour!

Tell us what happened as, when and if you deem it appropriate to do so!

TrueBrit.

LEO 229

imported post

VAopencarry wrote:
LEO 229 wrote:
Do you really need to hear? Just start defeding the VSP now and get a head start on everyone else defending the OC'er. He was probably standing near a vending machine at the rest stop, there is money in the machine, he should have known better and hopefully he learned his lesson. That should cover it..........:lol:
I at least want to know what I am about to completelydefend and plan my exit strategy!! :lol:

TrueBrit

imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
VAopencarry wrote:
LEO 229 wrote:
I at least want to know what I am about to completelydefend and plan my exit strategy!! :lol:

Smart man! This guy is a BAD outlaw,and, if I were a cop, I would not want to be running HIS gun's serial numbers any time soon.

Check out his laundry list of folks that he is contacting!

'229, he would likely come after you with the Dagenham Girl Pipers, the Enniskillin Dragoons and the Drunks Against Mad Mothers!:lol:

TrueBrit.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

TrueBrit wrote:
SNIP '229, he would likely come after you with the Dagenham Girl Pipers, the Enniskillin Dragoons and the Drunks Against Mad Mothers!:lol:

TrueBrit.
Where DO you all come up with these names? :)

TrueBrit

imported post

Citizen wrote:
TrueBrit wrote:
SNIP '229, he would likely come after you with the Dagenham Girl Pipers, the Enniskillin Dragoons and the Drunks Against Mad Mothers!:lol:

TrueBrit.

All well known groups in the Old Country, Sir! Our heritage goes back a wee bit further than yours, and we have had plenty of time for these exotic folks to evolve! Besides, it is always fun to try and bamboozle poor old LEO229 occasionally, no?;)

Just havin' fun,

TrueBrit.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

TrueBrit wrote:
Citizen wrote:
TrueBrit wrote:

TrueBrit.

All well known groups in the Old Country, Sir! Our heritage goes back a wee bit further than yours, and we have had plenty of time for these exotic folks to evolve! Besides, it is always fun to try and bamboozle poor old LEO229 occasionally, no?;)

Just havin' fun,

TrueBrit.
Point taken.

I would like to point out that our heritage goes back just as far as yours,mate. :) Heck, we've still got some old English common law in our system. Incorporated by referencein one ofour statutes, if I recall.

One of the more annoying ones is something called sovereign immunity.We know who thought that one up.No offense.

TrueBrit

imported post

Citizen wrote:
TrueBrit wrote:
Citizen wrote:
TrueBrit wrote:

TrueBrit.

Just havin' fun,

TrueBrit.
Point taken.

I would like to point out that our heritage goes back just as far as yours,mate. :) Heck, we've still got some old English common law in our system. Incorporated by referencein one ofour statutes, if I recall.

One of the more annoying ones is something called sovereign immunity.We know who thought that one up.No offense.

Sure, sovereign immunity can be a bitch.Much of our legal system here is indeed, as you say, based on English Common Law. When I speak of heritage, I guess I fell into the trap of dating America in its present form from the time of the Pilgrim Fathers,ie 1600ish. I tell my Southron lady wife that these guys got put on the boat by theTrueBrits for complaining about the dog fighting, cock fighting,gambling, horse racing, witch burning hobbies of the majority!:lol:Quite right to correct me!

Best wishes,

TrueBrit.