• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Detroit Free Press Article

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

FYI: A pro self-defense article by the Free Press..it's true.:shock:

STATEWIDE

Gun law helping victims of crimes
September 30, 2007

BY BEN SCHMITT

FREE PRESS STAFF WRITER

Southfield resident Wayne Heath has a few guns. He keeps a shotgun in his car. At 5-foot-7, Heath, 47, calls his collection an equalizer of sorts. "I absolutely would not hesitate to take somebody's life if it were in defense of my home, my wife or any of my friends," he said. "We've had enough of the thugs owning our streets and neighborhoods. Enough is enough." And the law is on Heath's side. Michigan's self-defense act will be a year old Monday. The law allows people to use deadly force, with no duty to retreat, if they reasonably think they face imminent death, great bodily harm or sexual assault. They can use deadly force anywhere they have a legal right to be. The legislation, promoted by gun-rights activists, clarified when a person can use deadly force in self-defense during break-ins, carjackings and other potentially violent crimes -- even in incidents away from the person's home. Such was apparently the case Thursday night in Detroit. One week after a fatal carjacking in Hamtramck, an 18-year-old would-be carjacker was killed when his potential victim opened fire. Police said Michael Evans of Detroit brandished a handgun as he approached a 36-year-old man from Troy as he got into his vehicle after having dinner with friends. The Troy man used his registered handgun to shoot Evans in apparent self-defense. The shooting, which occurred in front of Detroit Police headquarters at 1300 Beaubien, remains under investigation, but prosecutors likely won't charge the unidentified Troy man if his version of events checks out. And in May, a 53-year-old Detroit man fatally fired his gun to protect his car from being stolen at a Detroit car wash. He, too, had a permit to carry a concealed weapon. The botched carjacking on Grand River and Prevost came after a string of robberies in Detroit on Thursday, which police said were committed by Charles Parker Jr. and four others ranging in age from 16 to 20. Parker brandished an unloaded handgun in a robbery attempt before a man shot and killed him. After the shooting, police questioned the 53-year-old man and released him, noting that he had a valid concealed-weapons permit. Concealed-weapons permits rose by nearly 1,000 in Wayne County -- where much of the region's crime is concentrated -- between 2004-05 and 2005-06. Permits issued during the same time period dropped by about 1,000 in Macomb County and more than 2,000 in Oakland County, according to state records. Law enforcement officials said they're not reading much into the statistics. Macomb County Sheriff Mark Hackel said he rarely sees abuse of concealed-weapons laws. "Of course, you're going to get a case once in a while where someone's out waving a gun or something," he said. "But overall, most people are responsible." When it comes to self-defense, Hackel said, the law is fairly basic. "I get asked all the time: 'What does self-defense mean?' " he said. "Every case is going to be reviewed individually by police agencies and prosecutors. It boils down to the totality of circumstances: Do they feel their life is in imminent jeopardy? "It's the same level that we use in guidelines for police to use force.":shock:

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070930/NEWS06/709300597/1003/NEWS01

Leader

imported post

Problem is it starts off with an example of someone violateing the law.

You can NOT have a loaded shotgun in a vehicle under any circumstances in Michigan. I don't even know how the police get away with it now that I think about it.

Marco

imported post

Leader wrote:

You can NOT have a loaded shotgun in a vehicle under any circumstances in Michigan. I don't even know how the police get away with it now that I think about it.

No where in the article does it say the man keeps a loaded shotgun in his car.
It states "He keeps a shotgun in his car
."

many people keep long guns in their trunks unloaded with ammoreadily accessible(where legal)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Whitman
Ramiro Martinez, an officer credited with neutralizing Whitman's threat, later stated in his book that the civilian shooters should be credited, as they made it difficult for Whitman to take careful aim without being hit.

.40 Cal

State Researcher
imported post

Leader wrote:

Actually, your shotgun can be loaded. It just needs to be in a case.

Leader

imported post

.40 Cal wrote:
Leader wrote:

Maybe in N.C. but not in MI.

And to Agent19... It implys he had a loaded shotgun.. I may be wrong but I don't think so.

Bottom line.. you are correct, it doesn't actually say he did.

Marco

imported post

Leader wrote:
And to Agent19... It implys he had a loaded shotgun.. I may be wrong but I don't think so.

your reading too much into it as a gun owner you believe all guns are loaded as you should but
it States"he keeps a shotgun in his car"

it doesn't imply loaded or unloaded just that a gun is present for self defense and the owner is willing to use it

Cue-Ball

imported post

Leader wrote:

I think the more important question to ask is WHY is a loaded long arm in a vehicle illegal in the first place? A shotgun is virtually impossible to conceal, and is much less likely to cause an unintentional death. If anything, you would think that peace officers would prefer people to have shotguns over handguns.

.40 Cal

State Researcher
imported post

Leader wrote:
.40 Cal wrote:
Leader wrote:

I moved away from MI in 2003. At the time, my understanding was that it could be loaded but in the case.

imperialism2024

imported post

Cue-Ball wrote:
Leader wrote:

I think the more important question to ask is WHY is a loaded long arm in a vehicle illegal in the first place? A shotgun is virtually impossible to conceal, and is much less likely to cause an unintentional death. If anything, you would think that peace officers would prefer people to have shotguns over handguns.

Because of regulations on the 2.5th amendment: the Right to Hunt. At least that's the case in PA... they don't want you having loaded long guns in vehicles because you might hunt with them. Because there aren't enough deer running around Pennsylvania already.

Cue-Ball

imported post

Seems like more fallacious reasoning and unnecessary law to me. Are we to assume that everyone who carries a shotgun is going to illegally hunt?

<sigh> Not that Pennsylvania is any different from anywhere else. I guess I'm just venting my frustration at the shortsightedness of it all.

imperialism2024

imported post

Cue-Ball wrote:
Seems like more fallacious reasoning and unnecessary law to me. Are we to assume that everyone who carries a shotgun is going to illegally hunt?

<sigh> Not that Pennsylvania is any different from anywhere else. I guess I'm just venting my frustration at the shortsightedness of it all.

Yup, just like how I can't unlicensed OC my revolver for protection when bowhunting, or else I get in trouble with the game commission. Even though I think it would be fairly obvious when I'm dragging my dead deer whether it died from an arrow or a .44 magnum round. Not to mention the gunshot would be a dead giveaway...

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

.40 Cal wrote:
Leader wrote:
.40 Cal wrote:
Leader wrote:

I moved away from MI in 2003. At the time, my understanding was that it could be loaded but in the case.
In Michigan all long guns must be unloaded and either cased or locked in the truck or broken down incapable of firing. This has been the law since at least 1968 when I started hunting. The principle reason for this is game laws. Many states out west you can have a loaded long gun in the car, at least as of a few years ago.

muzzleblast

imported post

In Colorado, you may have a loaded concealed handgun in your vehicle and you may also have a long gun in your vehicle as long as a round is not chambered. No permit or other nonsense required ...

--MuzzleBlast