• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Why Open Carry

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

canynracer wrote:
Mike wrote:
In most states, no permit is required to open carry a handgun in public.
I must be reading the map wrong..I only see 10 states that allow without a permit
All states save the green and red states do not require a permit to open carry.

That's the way it should be - open carry is the pure right; the requirement to have a permit to conceal is reasonable regulation of that right.

ijusam

imported post

Mike wrote:

That's the way it should be - open carry is the pure right; the requirement to have a permit to conceal is reasonable regulation of that right.

I have to disagree with Mike. I feel that NO regulation of a right is reasonable. the limit of a right is when it infringes on another persons right.

canynracer

imported post

Mike wrote:
canynracer wrote:
Mike wrote:
In most states, no permit is required to open carry a handgun in public.
I must be reading the map wrong..I only see 10 states that allow without a permit
All states save the green and red states do not require a permit to open carry.

All states, "save the green and red states"...ok, I am lost again....are you saying the green and red allow open carry?

Pa. Patriot

State Researcher
Just a "wannabe" in Mtn. Top, Pennsylvania, USA
imported post

I think the point Mike was making is that carrying a gun is normal and should be veiwed as such. Having a badge, visible ID/permit is only conveying the status of a privilage.

I certainly see where your coming from and why your asking. That said I think you'll find that your perception of how people will act and how they actually do act are two very different things.
I open carry all over PA (mostly N.E.PA) and people could care less. I was told by countless internet experts that for open carrying in the places I do I was "stupid", going to "incite panic", have "soccer moms and kids panicking and calling police".
In reality it just doesn't happen as much as you would think. I say as much becasue as you can read on this forum there are a few incidents but in my experinces (no incidents) they are NOT the norm.
I carry a PA Gun Rights flyer with me. I do have positive encounters. I usually give the person a flyer or two. As for the specific situation you mentioned, family menbers, I can't imagine a better way than a synopsis of the laws. I think this would be better than any badge or other symbol of privilage.

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
imported post

ijusam wrote:
Mike wrote:

I have to disagree with Mike. I feel that NO regulation of a right is reasonable. the limit of a right is when it infringes on another persons right.
Correct. :exclaim:

nickerj1

imported post

canynracer wrote:
Hi,

I am new to this site, I am waiting for my TN carry permit. I have to option of open vs concealed...now I know this topic is all ofver the place andpeople have their opinions...but, I am on the fence...I think open is good cause its a deterrant, and it is easier to get there when needed...but I also like the element of suprise factor of concealed...

can someone give me some serious reasons why you all choose open carry vs concealed?

also, if open carry is my choice, do you all carry the badges? I just dont know about public reaction, and I dont want to attract unnecessary judgment to me or my family when I am with them...

thoughts?

Thanks,

JJ

Back to your original question on the OC versus CC.

It's all personal preference, so try out both. In the end you'll find all the variables that affect whether you choose to CC or OC into a situation. And I'm sure you'll mix it up.

For me, it depends on:
The clothes I'm wearing
The weather
The part of town I'm in
If the place serves Alcohol
The time of day
If I'm with someone and who it is
Which holster and gun I'm wearing

Probably a couple others I forgot.

canynracer

imported post

ummm...ok...but I am not questioning why carry....my question is why OPEN carry...:?

Pa. Patriot

State Researcher
Just a "wannabe" in Mtn. Top, Pennsylvania, USA
imported post

canynracer wrote:
....my question is why OPEN carry...:?

Welcome!
You will likely get very few responses to that specific question.
The reason is that people are reluctant to re-type information that has been discussed a million times (here).
Why not just do some reading and a search or two? Your at the right site :) Just read.

Bravo_Sierra

imported post

canynracer wrote:
ummm...ok...but I am not questioning why carry....my question is why OPEN carry...:?
Why Open Carry? Some people do not havea permit. If that's your only means of carry, then do it. I currently don't have a CCW becuase I can't accuratly supply every place I've lived in the past 10 years. They want every address. exact month I moved in/out and the exact duration down to month/year.. I just don't have that. I quite frankly I think its horse shit, considering that I can walk down to the gun store, buy any pistol I want, walk out in 20 minutes with said pistol and throw it in a holster and be legal, but can't conceal it. It makes no sense. You go through a background check when you buy the weapon. You don't need a permit to carry. just to hide it from everyone else.

Basic Guy

imported post

The main reason why I open carry is because I do not maintain a residence in the US.

I have a New Mexico driver's license, pay taxes and vote in NM but live outside the US. When I am back in the US I am primarily in NM or sometimes AZ so I OC while I am there.

I would get a license to CC if I was in NM enough tospend an entire weekendfor the class but Iwould rather spend what time I do have with my family there. Weekends are the only time I get to see some of themand I have not found a class in the ABQ area that is taught during the week.

Besides, I got used to OC'ing back in AZ years before they got CCW passed into law there so it feels real good to me.

colormered

imported post

By way of clarification, the green states DO allow unlicensed open carry, just not in vehicles - to open carry in vehicles requires license/permit. That leaves a handful of states (RED) completely banning or highly restricting open carry.

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

colormered wrote:
By way of clarification, the green states DO allow unlicensed open carry, just not in vehicles - to open carry in vehicles requires license/permit.
No, a green state requires a license to open carry, period.

Kevin Jensen

State Researcher
imported post

Mike wrote:
colormered wrote:
By way of clarification, the green states DO allow unlicensed open carry, just not in vehicles - to open carry in vehicles requires license/permit.

Mike, no licence is required to carry an UNLOADED firearm in Utah. Is our state green because we need a permit to carry loaded?

jeepinbanditrider

imported post

SGT Jensen wrote:
Mike wrote:
colormered wrote:

Mike, no licence is required to carry an UNLOADED firearm in Utah. Is our state green because we need a permit to carry loaded?

In Utah if you do not have a permit but still want to open carry you have to carry Condition 3 (mag in weapon chamber empty) this is commonly refered to as Isreali Carry.

If you want to carry condition 1 (mag in weapon round in chamber) you have to have a permit.

Kevin Jensen

State Researcher
imported post

jeepinbanditrider wrote:
In Utah if you do not have a permit but still want to open carry you have to carry Condition 3 (mag in weapon chamber empty) this is commonly refered to as Isreali Carry.

If you want to carry condition 1 (mag in weapon round in chamber) you have to have a permit.
I already know how our laws work here, I was just wodering if this is the reason Utah is classified as a "green state".

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

SGT Jensen wrote:
jeepinbanditrider wrote:

I already know how our laws work here, I was just wodering if this is the reason Utah is classified as a "green state".
Yes - we track OC of loaded handguns.