• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Email from Sportsmans' Warehouse

Farlo

imported post

I got this after inquiring about an encounter a friend of mine had at the Meridian Sportsmans' Warehouse.

Dear Mr. XXXXX,

Our policy at this time is we welcome people to carry a gun as long as it stays in the holster if they have a CCL. If you intend on taking the gun out to check accessories, holsters, cases, etc...we require you check the gun in and it stays unloaded throughout your visit. Many stores report accidents with guns going off while people are trying on holsters and we are trying to watch out for EVERYONE'S BEST INTEREST. If someone comes in with a gun under their jacket and keeps it there we do not require it to be checked in or unloaded.

Thanks for your inquiry,

Clayton Upshaw
Store Manager

Saint

imported post

Hmm... I will talk to Idaho Corsair about this, because that is not what their posted policy is. The posted policy says nothing about having a CCL and only states that you have to obtain a gun check slip (given to you at the front desk to show that the gun is yours) unless you plan on removing it from the holsters.

We have had some probblems with Sportsmans in the past but I thought they were resolved... hmmm... oh well... Impact Guns and Cabella's both welcome open carry without making you check or unload your guns. :D

gregma

imported post

Hmm... I will talk to Idaho Corsair about this, because that is not what their posted policy is. The posted policy says nothing about having a CCL

Could be that the person responding does not realize that having a CCL is not a requirement to OC'ing. Or the inquiry stated concealed carry?

Please help our growing organization: http://www.nwcdl.org

FogRider

imported post

The SW in Aurora, CO has a promenent sign at the front door that all firearms must be unloaded and checked at the customer service counter, with the exeption of legally concealed and secured weapons. Dunno what the secured part is about, the gun staying on my hip is pretty secure to me.

gregma

imported post

FogRider wrote:
The SW in Aurora, CO has a promenent sign at the front door that all firearms must be unloaded and checked at the customer service counter, with the exeption of legally concealed and secured weapons. Dunno what the secured part is about, the gun staying on my hip is pretty secure to me.
Two of the SW's in western washington also had those signs, until the management was contacted. They were both taken down quickly.

Please help our growing organization: http://www.nwcdl.org/

nathan

imported post

The Sportsmans Warehouse in Vancouver, WAhas a new (as of a couple months or so) sign that states that rifles must be unloaded but handguns may remain loaded as long as they stay in their holster. Doesn't say anything about OC/CC or a CC license. The old sign said all firearms must be unloaded. I like the new sign better. :)

Nathan

http://www.outdoorstrader.com

FogRider

imported post

gregma wrote:
Two of the SW's in western washington also had those signs, until the management was contacted. They were both taken down quickly.

Can you tell me what was said to the management? This is something I am interested in doing, but I would like to know the language used that worked in WA. If a letter/email got sent, can you send me that? I have a feeling that simply stating that OC is legal may not work, as I am pretty sure the management does have the right to restrict weapons on their property.

UTOC-45-44

imported post

FogRider wrote:
gregma wrote:

Can you tell me what was said to the management? This is something I am interested in doing, but I would like to know the language used that worked in WA. If a letter/email got sent, can you send me that? I have a feeling that simply stating that OC is legal may not work, as I am pretty sure the management does have the right to restrict weapons on their property.

It depends what corporate says. Usually the company has a corporate policy YES or NO and does not let individual Managers run "their" store they way that they want.

Cabelas for example has a corporate policy that they follow state and federal Law on CCW/OC. I 've been plenty of times at Cabelas and OCed without problems. ( Loaded Weapon IN my holster, I'm sure glad it didn't decide to jump up by itself and cause mischief:lol:)

gregma

imported post

UTOC-45-44 wrote:
FogRider wrote:
gregma wrote:

It depends what corporate says. Usually the company has a corporate policy YES or NO and does not let individual Managers run "their" store they way that they want.
Although I didn't speak with the management (this was a phone call, not a letter), the gist was that corporate policy was to uphold the laws of the state in which the store is located. Since the laws of WA does not prohibit OpenCarry, the store must follow that. I believe it took the management checking with corporate to verify this, then down came the signs, or they were changed to reflect corporate policy.

Lonnie Wilson is the person who took care of this in the two circumstances I'm aware of, a PM to him might yield further information.

Please help our growing organization: http://www.nwcdl.org

UTOC-45-44

imported post

He does make a BIG difference in making sure the State and Fed Laws are followed by the many companies out there. Good Call

FogRider

imported post

Well I decided to stop in the local store on my way home, and it has gone from bad to worse. The original sign has been replaced, and the new sign says ALL firearms must be unloaded and checked, with NO mention of concealed. I did talk to the manager, but that was disappointing to say the least. She said it was up to the individual store (true), but seemed to ignore my mention of corporate policy. She said concealed was ok, as long as it stayed that way, because no-one would know I was armed. She also said that she didn't know why anyone would want/need a loaded gun in the store, and that was why it was not allowed. she then pretty much ended the conversation by stepping away to help the (armed!) security guy who was presumably collecting the cash. (there was an armored truck outside when I left.) So, you can still conceal, but the sign is misleading at best.
Any suggestions? Letter/e-mail/call to corporate?

UTOC-45-44

imported post

FogRider wrote:
Well I decided to stop in the local store on my way home, and it has gone from bad to worse. The original sign has been replaced, and the new sign says ALL firearms must be unloaded and checked, with NO mention of concealed. I did talk to the manager, but that was disappointing to say the least. She said it was up to the individual store (true), but seemed to ignore my mention of corporate policy. She said concealed was ok, as long as it stayed that way, because no-one would know I was armed. She also said that she didn't know why anyone would want/need a loaded gun in the store, and that was why it was not allowed. she then pretty much ended the conversation by stepping away to help the (armed!) security guy who was presumably collecting the cash. (there was an armored truck outside when I left.) So, you can still conceal, but the sign is misleading at best.
Any suggestions? Letter/e-mail/call to corporate?
OH MY, oh my, OH MY:cuss::banghead:

IdahoCorsair

State Researcher
imported post

ug.

please take some time to read the previous idaho threads on sportsman's wharehouse.

after talking multiple times with the REGIONAL manager, sw's policy is to comply with state law... the only exception is that if you plan on removing your gun from the holster, whether to fit a holster or for gunsmithing, you have to get a slip to 'check it in' in these cases... i think saint worded his understanding backwards... there is NO requirement to check in a legally carried OC or CC weapon... oc, and cc is ok... NO ccl required for OC. seriously, do a search on this board... you'll see several threads from several states... including idaho... i will take personal credit for getting Sportsman's to clarify this issue... I'm just saying i know what i'm talking about... including a 45 minute phone call with their regional manager apologizing for any misunderstandingss.... trust me. oc and cc is ok. period. just don't go waving your gun around and you'll be fine.

idaho - stay safe and vigilant

IdahoCorsair

State Researcher
imported post

saint,

i think you meant to say the slip was only if you were going to remove it from the holster like to fit a new holster orfor gunsmithing. i know you know, you just mis-typed! :p

Saint

imported post

Nope i worded it correctly.. as of the last time I was in there they make you get a 'gun-check' slip (you must got to the front counter, and get a signed slip of paper that lists your model and serial number on it proving that it is your gun, after which you can walk around the store OCing without unloading). The last time I was in there they had tried to make myself, black_nyt and another of our friends unload our guns to get our check slips, and it was only after I pointed out the policy sign on the front door that they allowed us to keep our holstered side arms loaded.

Mainsail

imported post

Saint wrote:
Nope i worded it correctly.. as of the last time I was in there they make you get a 'gun-check' slip (you must got to the front counter, and get a signed slip of paper that lists your model and serial number on it proving that it is your gun, after which you can walk around the store OCing without unloading). The last time I was in there they had tried to make myself, black_nyt and another of our friends unload our guns to get our check slips, and it was only after I pointed out the policy sign on the front door that they allowed us to keep our holstered side arms loaded.

The store in Lacy WA tried the same thing with me. I basically refused, I told them it was safe in my holster and I wouldn’t take it out. The manager said “oh, ok” and walked away.

bourneshooter

imported post

As of sunday Sept. 1st, when I OC'd into Sportsmans in Meridian, I was not stopped at all. Nothing was said about a "gun check slip" or anything. Just did my thing and left.

FogRider

imported post

I think I will just walk in OC'ing, and see if I am asked to leave. If not, then cool. If I am, I will question the policy again, and inform them that they will lose a customer.
I will let y'all know how that goes next time I need something.