• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

County weighs ban on firing guns in some locations

bayboy42

imported post

TraumaRN.....are you from Gloucester?

As long as they make sure to include the typical caveats (i.e. does not apply to self defense situations) I'm o.k. with these types of bans.

psmartin

imported post

bayboy42 wrote:

As long as they make sure to include the typical caveats (i.e. does not apply to self defense situations) I'm o.k. with these types of bans.

Let's not kid ourselves.. all government meddling is generally un-needed.

How have we managed to avoid the following tragedies for so long:
1) Hunter accidentally kills family of 6 in a Home Depot parking lot while deer hunting
2) Target shooter accidentallyshatters elementary school windows, his only comment was: "Damn, my apartment is over 1000 feet from the school, what's the problem?"

We've got enough laws on the books as it is for thedischarge of firearms..

There have been laws on the books against prostitution since the beginning of recorded history, and lawmakers still find the need to "tweak" them for their personal gain.

Don't be suprised if one day you need to go down to the courthouse to get a license for dating, along with all the required fingerprintsand $28 processing fee.

bayboy42

imported post

Your entitled to your opinion psmartin and I even agree with the term "generally" that youused. But being a resident of Gloucester, and seeing what types of incidents occur each hunting season, I see things a little different.

psmartin

imported post

bayboy42 wrote:
Your entitled to your opinion psmartin and I even agree with the term "generally" that youused. But being a resident of Gloucester, and seeing what types of incidents occur each hunting season, I see things a little different.

I'm not saying public safety is not paramount, and I am familiar with the Gloucester area (and it has exploded with growth over the years).

My point is.. Why make a new laws when there are 20 other laws on the books that apply to the "problem activity"

If a new law is needed to take care of the problem, I encourage you to push your representatives to ADD A LAW. If there are laws on the books which are being ignored, your representatives need to push law enforcement to use the ones they already have.

Maybe we HAVE gotten to the point where a "general laws" are not good enough.. Instead of a law against Jaywalking, we need a lay for Jaywalking on Monday, Jaywalking on Tuesday through Saturday, and a limited Jaywalking law for Sunday, because lots be people walk to church and need not be concerned with laws while praising the lord.

That was my point, not that Gloucester doesn't need to control firearm discharges, but "is it a law in search of a problem?"

TraumaRN

imported post

bayboy42 wrote:

Nope, just work in the area.

"Supervisor Michelle Ressler asked him how the board might define areas that are so heavily populated that shooting firearms is dangerous."

Shooting is dangerous in all areas, populated or not. Somehow we need to instill common sense back into things and not look to laws and ordinances (government) to "protect" us. Seen enough drunk hunters in tree stands fall out and end up in the hospital that perhaps this issue is more of a problem, but I don't live there and don't know what is going on to provoke this.

TraumaRN

imported post

psmartin wrote:
bayboy42 wrote:

I'm not saying public safety is not paramount, and I am familiar with the Gloucester area (and it has exploded with growth over the years).

My point is.. Why make a new laws when there are 20 other laws on the books that apply to the "problem activity"

If a new law is needed to take care of the problem, I encourage you to push your representatives to ADD A LAW. If there are laws on the books which are being ignored, your representatives need to push law enforcement to use the ones they already have.

Maybe we HAVE gotten to the point where a "general laws" are not good enough.. Instead of a law against Jaywalking, we need a lay for Jaywalking on Monday, Jaywalking on Tuesday through Saturday, and a limited Jaywalking law for Sunday, because lots be people walk to church and need not be concerned with laws while praising the lord.

That was my point, not that Gloucester doesn't need to control firearm discharges, but "is it a law in search of a problem?"

beat me to it by 2 minutes. thinking on the same page!

67GT390FB

imported post

bayboy42 wrote:

As a hunter please explain the types of incidents you have seen yourself or are you relying on word of mouth or even worse media reports. I like to find out about the idiot hunters out there as they give the good guys a bad name similar to the experiences we get as OC's or CC's. I don't like seeing a fellow gun guy profiling all hunters as you seem to be doing. The guys I deer hunt(asopposed to bird hunting which doesn't have the samebad rap)with are all professionals, have all their teeth and aren't married to their first cousin or sister, and this includes myself.

We hunt in Chesterfield County(land of we haven't met a development we don't like)on several 300+/-acre parcels of propertydirectly bordering 100+ home housing developments some surrounded by them. Are you telling me that because my property is surrounded by a housing development I can no longer hunt on it ,just because there is a min. 50 house development next to it? And you are OK with this?Is the ordinance saying that because i border the housing development i can't hunt on my land or is it saying i need to leave a buffer zone similar to the buffer zone required near a state maintained road. I'm interpreting it as a blanket ban maybe you can fill me in if it is not.

I checked the DGIF website and glouchester's one hunting reg is no hunting from a roadway.

please fill me in thanks,

Joe

TraumaRN

imported post

Hunter Stupidity- witnessed and cared for by myself, over 15 years of nursing in various level 1 trauma centers in Virginia, wouldn't be able to reveal incidents on public forum, you might know one of them- gotta love the HIPPA rules, another fine example of "Government" and it worked so well for Va Tech.

Media reports- usually only report the sensational. i.e. those that end up shot or shooting someone else. More often than not the generic 20 ft fall from the stand doesn't get reported.

67GT390FB

imported post

TraumaRN wrote:
Hunter Stupidity- witnessed and cared for by myself, over 15 years of nursing in various level 1 trauma centers in Virginia, wouldn't be able to reveal incidents on public forum, you might know one of them- gotta love the HIPPA rules, another fine example of "Government" and it worked so well for Va Tech.

But you could speak hypothetically, also is hunter stupidity any different than goof with gun syndrome?or baby mamma with boxcutteritis? please divide number of incidents you have seen over the years by the total number of hunters over those same years.

67GT390FB

imported post

TraumaRN wrote:

Media reports- usually only report the sensational. i.e. those that end up shot or shooting someone else. More often than not the generic 20 ft fall from the stand doesn't get reported.

quoted before your edit.

also a fall from a tree stand poses no danger to the neighborhood next door unless the guy is doing a john woo action film firing while falling. which would definitely make the news.

sitedzn

imported post

67GT390FB wrote:
bayboy42 wrote:

As a hunter please explain the types of incidents you have seen yourself or are you relying on word of mouth or even worse media reports. I like to find out about the idiot hunters out there as they give the good guys a bad name similar to the experiences we get as OC's or CC's. I don't like seeing a fellow gun guy profiling all hunters as you seem to be doing. The guys I deer hunt(asopposed to bird hunting which doesn't have the samebad rap)with are all professionals, have all their teeth and aren't married to their first cousin or sister, and this includes myself.

We hunt in Chesterfield County(land of we haven't met a development we don't like)on several 300+/-acre parcels of propertydirectly bordering 100+ home housing developments some surrounded by them. Are you telling me that because my property is surrounded by a housing development I can no longer hunt on it ,just because there is a min. 50 house development next to it? And you are OK with this?Is the ordinance saying that because i border the housing development i can't hunt on my land or is it saying i need to leave a buffer zone similar to the buffer zone required near a state maintained road. I'm interpreting it as a blanket ban maybe you can fill me in if it is not.

I checked the DGIF website and glouchester's one hunting reg is no hunting from a roadway.

Joe
where in CC did you find 300 acres? i'm just dying to get back out this fall. (sorry for the OT post).

67GT390FB

imported post

sitedzn wrote:
67GT390FB wrote:
bayboy42 wrote:

Joe
where in CC did you find 300 acres? i'm just dying to get back out this fall. (sorry for the OT post).
its was actually 3 300acre parcels and 1 100+ acre parcel in western chesterfield. we were lucky and the guys i hunt with have been hunting these properties for 25-30 years. it used to all belong to one gentleman but some has been sold over recent years and we have been lucky enough to keep renting it until they develop it. last year we lost one of the three a 350+ acre plotbehind watkins nursery and transected by 288 off of hungary springs road but a couple hundred in rent for hunting stands no chance to the 3+ million they sold the property for. i have been searching cumberland and buckingham counties for land hoping to outrun the development for a little while at least.

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

Rates of a self-selected population are not a statistically valid base of data. John Lott, Jr. might be able to do a valid analysis but not any of us. Public policy should not be derived from personal anecdotes.

My personal evaluation of the hazard starts with the observation from simple physics that a random shot's probability of hitting a spot of interest is proportional to the ratio of the area of a semi-sphere of radius 'range' to the area of the spot of interest.

Here, the blue-hairs all wear blaze-orange and swear it's a death sentence to step outdoors not wearing orange during hunting season, inspite of no incidents. The shooters are their husbands, sons and grandsons.

It's kind'a like the hysteria over celebratory air-shots, irresponsible but not particularly dangerous. We should not fear things, hoplein, but should fear the evil ignorant people behind them.

Either we are equal or we are not. Good people ought to be armed where they will, with wits and guns and the truth. NRA KMA$$