• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Question about the 2nd Amendment

Notso

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I'm just curious how different people handle this issue. If you're having a discussion about the 2nd, how do you answer when the statement is made..... "The 2nd amendment only guarantees that the militia is armed, it has nothing to do with the rights of the individual".

Dutch Uncle

Campaign Veteran
imported post

To quote George Mason: "I ask sir, who is the militia? It is the whole people, save for a few public officials".

Any questions??

Sitrep

imported post

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

See the word "people"? Not Militia members only, or the right of the Militia, it's the right of the people to keep and bear Arms.

Anyone who reads this in any other way is just trying to back the position they want backed. It was very clearly written and is not at all ambiguous.

Sitrep

imported post

The argument that the right to keep and bear Arms applies only to the Militia is about as sensible as saying that the right of the people to peaceably assemble (First Amendment) only applies to the religions or the press that were previously mentioned.

FogRider

imported post

A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.

Bold is the important part, and can stand apart from the rest of the statement. The first part is why the right to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed. Tell them to go back to high school and re-learn how to diagram a sentence.

imperialism2024

imported post

At the time the Bill of Rights was written, the "militia" consisted of basically everyone capable of fighting. I forget the exact criteria, but essentially back then there was no special group run by the government that is our definition of "militia" today.

Also, at least IMO, the militia referred to in the amendment is what was intended to keep the government in check, such as how the militias in America rebelled against the British tyranny. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that the framers of the country advocated constant civil wars between the government and the people, but rather the framers valued the system of government much more than the actual people in that government. It was to prevent abuse of power by a tyrannical, corrupt government when all other options have been expended except for a response from the armed militia to put the government officials back in line with the American system of government. I hardly think that the writers of the amendment intended to have militias working as an instrument of the government, so clearly the colonial duties of the militia have fallen to individuals. Thus, the militia referred to in the 2nd amendment is the collection of freedom-loving individuals in today's America.

Sitrep

imported post

imperialism2024 is absolutely correct that the Militia is supposed to keep the govenment in check, thats why it doesn't say Army or Military. The Militia can't be a government organization, because then it would just be part of the Military.

I guess you can tell that this whole 2nd amendment thing gets under my collar.:cuss:

I really hope I'm not the only one!

Tomahawk

imported post

I don't need the 2nd Ammendment or any other words written on paper to determine what my rights are. I have inlienable rights to life and property, and by extension, the right to defend that life with the appropriate tools, so long as I do not violate others' rights.

I like to blow an anti's mind sometimes by bypassing the Constitution altogether.

After all, when Jefferson wrote about the rights to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness in the Declaration, what "constitution" or "bill of rights" was he getting that from? They weren't even thought of yet.

Now, for something more useful, when faced with the "militia" vs. "individual" question on the 2nd, consider this: every other time the "people" are mentioned in the BOR, it is understood that this refers to individuals, including the 10th Amm., which specifically makes a distinction between "states" and "people". Why would the 2nd Amm. be a special case?

Right Wing Wacko

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Sitrep wrote:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Let me paraphrase:

We need a militia to protect the state (country). Because we do NOT trust standing armies as our experience tends to show they eventually become corrupt, it is VERY IMPORTANT that the right of the PEOPLE to keep and bear arms as protection against this corruption shall not be infringed.

In other words... we don't trust the king, president, congress.... whatever you call themand the people shall always have the right to protect themselves against tyranny. :cuss:

Notso

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Thanks to everyone for replying so quickly. I can tell that this topic is(as it should be) very important to all of us. And as you said Sitrep, it gets under my collar too. I just can't understand how anyone can argue against any of the thoughts that each of you put forth.

I suppose everyone has seen the Brady Lie #3 video. It would be funny if it weren't so damn frustrating to see someone do what this guy does.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=L5QvYliZCq8&mode=related&search=

imperialism2024

imported post

Tomahawk wrote:
I don't need the 2nd Ammendment or any other words written on paper to determine what my rights are. I have inlienable rights to life and property, and by extension, the right to defend that life with the appropriate tools, so long as I do not violate others' rights.

I like to blow an anti's mind sometimes by bypassing the Constitution altogether.

After all, when Jefferson wrote about the rights to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness in the Declaration, what "constitution" or "bill of rights" was he getting that from? They weren't even thought of yet.
There's a Ted Nugent interview where he talks about this... It's what really hit home for me about how there is a basic human right to self defense, and I don't need an amendment to tell me that.

sccrref

imported post

FogRider wrote:
A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.

Bold is the important part, and can stand apart from the rest of the statement. The first part is why the right to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed. Tell them to go back to high school and re-learn how to diagram a sentence.
Do they still teach that in schools today? Half of the kids cannot even speak the language in a proficient manner.:banghead:

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

A good pro-gun analysis of the Constitutional law is at the attorneys handling the DC v. Heller case http://dcguncase.com/blog/faqs/ (mentioned in the DC section of OCDO).

I am careful with whom I discuss the 2A. A question with that premise, "The 2nd amendment only guarantees that the militia is armed, it has nothing to do with the rights of the individual", suggests that someone is not ready to discuss it but to only argue base opinion. Like associating relative points of view with Einstein - not even wrong but invincibly ignorant on the subject at hand (Bloomberg? rich but ignorant).

Either we are equal or we are not. Good people ought to be armed where they will, with wits and guns and the truth. NRA KMA$$

thnycav

imported post

Quote from Ron Paul Speech on the 2nd Amendment

"Few people asking that question, however, know much about the banned weapons or the Second amendment itself. The law in question bans many very ordinary types of rifles and ammunition, while limiting magazine capacity for both rifles and pistols that are still legal. Many of the vilified “assault rifles” outlawed by the ban are in fact sporting rifles that are no longer available to hunters and outdoorsmen. Of course true military-style automatic rifles remain widely available to criminals on the black market. So practically speaking, the assault weapons ban does nothing to make us safer.

More importantly, however, the debate about certain types of weapons ignores the fundamental purpose of the Second amendment. The Second amendment is not about hunting deer or keeping a pistol in your nightstand. It is not about protecting oneself against common criminals. It is about preventing tyranny. The Founders knew that unarmed citizens would never be able to overthrow a tyrannical government as they did. They envisioned government as a servant, not a master, of the American people. The muskets they used against the British Army were the assault rifles of the time. It is practical, rather than alarmist, to understand that unarmed citizens cannot be secure in their freedoms. It’s convenient for gun banners to dismiss this argument by saying “That could never happen here, this is America”- but history shows that only vigilant people can keep government under control. By banning certain weapons today, we may plant the seeds for tyranny to flourish ten, thirty, or fifty years from now.

Tortured interpretations of the Second amendment cannot change the fact that both the letter of the amendment itself and the legislative history conclusively show that the Founders intended ordinary citizens to be armed. The notion that the Second amendment confers rights only upon organized state-run militias is preposterous; the amendment is meaningless unless it protects the gun rights of individuals. Georgetown University professor Robert Levy recently offered this simple explanation:

“Suppose the Second amendment said ‘A well-educated electorate being necessary for self-governance in a free state, the right of the people to keep and read books shall not be infringed.’ Is there anyone who would suggest that means only registered voters have a right to read?” "

thnycav

imported post

Anouther Quote

HON. RON PAUL OF TEXAS
IN THE HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES

January 9, 2003

Mr. Speaker, I rise to restore the right the founding fathers saw as the guarantee of every other right by introducing the Second Amendment Protection Act. This legislation reverses the steady erosion of the right to keep and bear arms by repealing unconstitutional laws that allow power-hungry federal bureaucrats to restrict the rights of law-abiding gun owners.

Specifically, my legislation repeals the five-day waiting period and the "instant" background check, which enables the federal government to compile a database of every gun owner in America. My legislation also repeals the misnamed ban on "semi-automatic" weapons, which bans entire class of firearms for no conceivable reason beside the desire of demagogic politicians to appear tough on crime. Finally, my bill amends the Gun Control Act of 1968 by deleting the "sporting purposes" test, which allows the Treasury Secretary to infringe on second amendment rights by classifying a firearm (handgun, rifle, shotgun) as a "destructive device" simply because the Secretary believes the gun to be "non-sporting."

Thomas Jefferson said "The constitutions of most of our States assert that all power is inherent in the people; ...that it is their right and duty to be at all times armed." Jefferson, and all of the Founders, would be horrified by the proliferation of unconstitutional legislation that prevents law-abiding Americans form exercising their right and duty to keep and bear arms. I hope my colleagues will join me in upholding the Founders' vision for a free society by cosponsoring the Second Amendment Restoration Act.

thnycav

imported post

One more

5. What is the militia?

The "militia" was provided for in Section 10 of the United States Code (often abbreviated USC). The Code is the list of all the laws that are written by the federal government. Section 10 USC 311 reads:
"All able-bodied males at least 17 years of age…and under 45 years of age who are or have made a declaration to become a citizen of the United States." Additionally, another provision allows for a "reserve militia" (as opposed to the "ready militia" described above), that includes women, children and the elderly.

WhiteFeather

imported post

313 of title 32, under 45 years of age who are, or who have made a declaration of intention to become, citizens of the United States and of female citizens of the United States who are members of the National Guard.
(b) The classes of the militia are—
(1) the organized militia, which consists of the National Guard and the Naval Militia; and
(2) the unorganized militia, which consists of the members of the militia who are not members of the National Guard or the Naval Militia.

http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/html/uscode10/usc_sec_10_00000311----000-.html

UTOC-45-44

imported post

Sitrep wrote:

See the word "people"? Not Militia members only, or the right of the Militia, it's the right of the people to keep and bear Arms.

Anyone who reads this in any other way is just trying to back the position they want backed. It was very clearly written and is not at all ambiguous.

I read it as2 parts of the sentence myself

the 1st part

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State,"...

("A well regulated Militia" = Natonal Guard, for expample)

the 2nd part,

..."the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

("the people" = Civilians)

This way it makes it very easy too understand.

Just my 2