• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Recent experience open carrying

acritical

imported post

This past weekend, I was with my girlfriend riding around Raleigh, when we were sitting at a stop sign at the corner of Six Forks Rd and Norwood Rd. We were trying to decide which way on Six Forks to turn when all of a sudden a 4runner slammed on brakes right in front of us, traveling down Six Forks.

Looking, I see a Nissan Altima, traveling the opposite direction on Six Forks, had pulled into his path. They were turning left onto Norwood and was hit by the 4runner. The Altima in turn spun and hit the rear bumper of a Volvo that was behind it.

About 15 minutes and many fireman later, a State Trooper showed up to the scene to take a report. I was there as a witness, open carrying my Springfield XD40. Where I can tell the officer obviously noticed my firearm, he never addressed my presence. After getting everyone's statement, including mine, he then asked if I was a detective or officer with a local department. I immediately, but politely said no. He then said, "Oh, just a citizen with a firearm?" I agreed to that statement. He chuckled and then said, "Nothing wrong with that. I think more people (who can do so legally) should carry firearms. The right citizens carrying, sure makes my job a lot easier."

I was impressed with his attitude. It really threw me for a loop when he suggested that I think about getting my concealed carry permit. When I told him that I have it, he then said, "You are definitely one of the good guys. We need more like you."

All in all, I consider this a great encounter.

vrwmiller

imported post

That's great to hear! Along the lines of his statement "You are definitely one of the good guys. We need more like you", we could also say the same of LEO. We need more like him.