• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

ccw permits

wilkie

imported post

I know this is off topic but my friend was denied a permit because his only training was with the vdgif. I have checked the regulations and can only find where this is approved,so my question is why was he denied? Isnt Virginia a shall issue commonwealth?

OC-Glock19

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Training is training.Even if it's a hunter safety course from another state it meets the qualifications to get a Virginia concealed carry permit, andassuming that your friend is otherwise not disqualified he should not have any problems. VCDL has followed up on several jurisdictions making up their own requirements regarding concealed carry permits and gotten them to follow state law. You might want to have your friend call or write to Philip Van Cleave about this.

bayboy42

imported post

OC-Glock 19 is spot on with his response. Below is the specific code that he is referring to:

18.2-308 Part G

G. The court shall require proof that the applicant has demonstrated competence with a handgun and the applicant may demonstrate such competence by one of the following, but no applicant shall be required to submit to any additional demonstration of competence:

1. Completing any hunter education or hunter safety course approved by the Department of Game and Inland Fisheries or a similar agency of another state;

2. Completing any National Rifle Association firearms safety or training course;

3. Completing any firearms safety or training course or class available to the general public offered by a law-enforcement agency, junior college, college, or private or public institution or organization or firearms training school utilizing instructors certified by the National Rifle Association or the Department of Criminal Justice Services;

4. Completing any law-enforcement firearms safety or training course or class offered for security guards, investigators, special deputies, or any division or subdivision of law enforcement or security enforcement;

5. Presenting evidence of equivalent experience with a firearm through participation in organized shooting competition or current military service or proof of an honorable discharge from any branch of the armed services;

6. Obtaining or previously having held a license to carry a firearm in the Commonwealth or a locality thereof, unless such license has been revoked for cause;

7. Completing any firearms training or safety course or class conducted by a state-certified or National Rifle Association-certified firearms instructor;

8. Completing any governmental police agency firearms training course and qualifying to carry a firearm in the course of normal police duties; or

9. Completing any other firearms training which the court deems adequate.

A photocopy of a certificate of completion of any of the courses or classes; an affidavit from the instructor, school, club, organization, or group that conducted or taught such course or class attesting to the completion of the course or class by the applicant; or a copy of any document which shows completion of the course or class or evidences participation in firearms competition shall constitute evidence of qualification under this subsection.

fizzer

imported post

my initial application was rejected for the same reason...training. the letter they sent with the denial should state the EXACT reason why. mine was because the court did not know if the training meets the va. requirements by law. the company i took the course thru stated that the court has there training regime on record and that this was a problem they encountered before. remember, it is not the judge or even the clerk of the court who initially processes these apps. all i needed to do was send them a notorized letter from the instructor stating that the course i took met the va. requirements. good luck.

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

You need to fight this or they will not stop - contact your Clerk of courts and request an ore tenuse hearing to have your rejection reviewed by a judge - its an informal hearing and you should prevail withou any lawyer - do it ASAP - clock is ticking.

wilkie

imported post

Yes they said denial is based on lack of firearm training. I thought Virginia was a shall issue state meaning if the court can PROVE you are unfit then they can deny a permit other than that they issue the permit.vdgif is a court approved course so whats up?

i

fizzer

imported post

try calling the "civil intake" for the court house, i live in ffx county and they were very helpful with what i needed. see EXACTLY what they need. silly question, but did he submit the training paperwork with the app? or just write down what training was taken?

bayboy42

imported post

OK then.........refer to Mike's post above:
You need to fight this or they will not stop - contact your Clerk of courts and request an ore tenuse hearing to have your rejection reviewed by a judge - its an informal hearing and you should prevail withou any lawyer - do it ASAP - clock is ticking.

Skeptic

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Wow.. all I can say is I am shocked the more I read and hear lately about abuses like this here in Virginia.

Virginia, mother of presidets; home of so many of our founding fathers, it is just hard to reconile it now being the home of so many small minded, ignorant bureaucrats who seek to sqeeze away what is arguably our most important right.

This is a battle that was already supposedly won, if not in the constitution then at least when they passed the current CHP laws. It is disheartening to see this sort of thing here.

Granted, at least we aren't as bad off as in the "Free" state to our north, or NY.

wilkie

imported post

I agree its really hard to believe that Virginia and more specific Norfolk is getting away with this behavior. Trying to figure out why more citizens dont let their voices be heard is making my head hurt.People like their rights and freedoms but no one wants to stand up for them;They think someone else will.

bayboy42

imported post

So wilkie...........are you covertly trying to tell us your friend doesn't intend to do anything about the situation? I'm not quite sure that a sample size of 1 is large enough to make a blanket statment that "Norfolk is getting away with this behavior". Maybe if you friend requests the hearing and still doesn't get things sorted out, I'd be more comfortable with such a statement.

Toad

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Mainsail wrote:
Washington state doesn't require training to exercise your rights. Just thought I'd rub that in a little. :lol:
Vermont and Alaska don't either and you don't even need to ask permission... so there’s a little salt for your wounds too.:p

wilkie

imported post

Not at all my friend is apealling this decision. Have you not been reading the post on here about the problems with the Norfolk police and people who carry guns? They dont have a good track record.

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

wilkie wrote:
Not at all my friend is apealling this decision. Have you not been reading the post on here about the problems with the Norfolk police and people who carry guns? They dont have a good track record.

He is "appealing" to the court of appeals?

I do not have a good feeling for what is going on here at all.

If he does not quickly file for ore tensu review it will be denied - filing an appeal requies a lawyer and money.