• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Hi-Points; why Cleveland criminals like them

dng

State Researcher
imported post

http://www.earthtimes.org/articles/show/112221.html

Cleveland crooks favor made-in-Ohio guns

CLEVELAND, Sept. 22 An Ohio-produced handgun is being seized more often by Cleveland police.

Police stats found that 92 pistols made by Hi-Point Firearms in Mansfield had been seized in Cleveland this year, more than any other brand among the 1,150 guns seized over all.

"They'll never make Consumer Reports for the best guns, but they are really popular with criminals," Gerald Nunziato, a retired Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives agent told the Cleveland Plain Dealer.

Hi-Points have also been the leading brand of pistol seized in New York, where 310 were confiscated last year.

The company told the Plain-Dealer its 9mm weapons are designed for blue-collar families that desire an inexpensive means of protection.

One Cleveland prosecutor has proposed requiring gun makers to test fire every gun before it leaves the factory and entering the ballistics markings in a national data base so that the owners can be more easily tracked down if the weapon is later used in a crime.

I don't think it has anything to do with the idea that these criminals have some sort of twisted loyality to Ohio. I think it is because they are cheap firearms and quite a few of them are in Ohio. It's a gun you can use once in a crime, and then get rid of it without loosing too much money.

But I have a wonderful idea. Why don't we make guns too expensive for criminals to buy? That would solve Cleveland's trouble, right? (Sarcasm! :idea:)

Edit: to show I am being sarcastic; sorry, sometimes it's hard to catch unless you're in person

dkd

imported post

often times criminals especially those involved in drug dealing make more money than most citizens due to lack of taxing so they can afford expensive or blackmarket guns, in cleveland it was only 92 out of 1150 were hi-points so they are using a lot more brands than just hi-point....wow ballistic fingerprinting what a joke, criminals dont buy legal guns, i think maryland tried that crap and it turned out to be an expensive joke

imperialism2024

imported post

dngreer wrote:
http://www.earthtimes.org/articles/show/112221.htmlBut I have a wonderful idea. Why don't we make guns too expensive for criminals to buy? That would solve Cleveland's trouble, right?

I can't tell if you're being serious or sarcastic there... But guns are, overall, much cheaper on the black market.

I do find it funny that some people think that ballistic "fingerprints" are good at matching guns. From what I read, it's basically a crapshoot. But, it's a way for the government to register guns...

TrueBrit

imported post

My stepson has one in S&WFoh-tay!

Crudest piece that I ever shot, but it goes bang every time, and shoots straight if you hold it straight.

I irreverently refer to it as "Bob's ghetto Glock!" It has the sideways sights, too!

TrueBrit.