• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Taproom Tuesdays in Manchester

KBCraig

imported post

Edit: the video has been removed from Youtube at the request of the business owner. Even though no laws or rules were being broken, and even though the business owners had nothing to do with making or posting the video, the liquor commission threatened to yank his liquor license if the video remained online.

:X

Even though the evenings are getting a bit cool to go without a jacket or sweatshirt, that doesn't stop the gang of Liberty Lovers in Manchester!

http://youtube.com/watch?v=u9VWbaw4KF8

KBCraig

imported post

FogRider wrote:
Thats awesome. Anyone in Manchester looking for an Autocad/Revit operator? :celebrate

Probably so. You know it's the home of Kamen Industries, makers of the Segway Scooter? Lots of other technology and manufacturing firms, too. I'm sure there are Autocad jobs.

If you're thinking about making the move, please think about joining the Free State Project!

http://www.freestateproject.org

Kevin

FogRider

imported post

KBCraig wrote:
Probably so. You know it's the home of Kamen Industries, makers of the Segway Scooter? Lots of other technology and manufacturing firms, too. I'm sure there are Autocad jobs.

If you're thinking about making the move, please think about joining the Free State Project!

http://www.freestateproject.org

Kevin

I was mostly joking. I realy like my job in Denver right now, but If I ever do move out of state it probably will be as a part of the fsp.

Demarest

imported post

As a result of that video being posted elsewhere, a series of events have precipitated that have me VERY seriously researching NH and the FSP for the purpose of probably joining both. Since this thread is about that video, I had a couple questions concerning it, something said in it, and something said in this thread.

In the video, somebody spoke of open carrying in a restaurant as if that's unusual. Likewise, the title here talks about open carrying in a bar legally as if that's unusual. Can somebody better help me understand the climate there? As demonstrated in the past, I'm not timid about doing my part and incurring some inconvenience for the sake of educating our countrymen and defending our rights. And since OCDO lists NH as anomolous (as well as Ohio, where I live and open carry everywhere), I was curious.

Normally, I would go to packing.org, but they've been down for the last 12 hours or so. I actually had to check out the Brady website, and their attempt to slam NH made me smile on all the points that are important to me. I'm mostly curious in the laws concerning open carry, how that is enhanced with a CHL, how it is impaired with a CHL. For example, in Ohio, having a CHL is the only way I can legally drive with a loaded firearm. BUT because I have a CHL, if any LEO asks me for ID for any reason, I have to provide it.

Sorry for the thread jack.

KBCraig

imported post

Demarest wrote:
In the video, somebody spoke of open carrying in a restaurant as if that's unusual. Likewise, the title here talks about open carrying in a bar legally as if that's unusual. Can somebody better help me understand the climate there? As demonstrated in the past, I'm not timid about doing my part and incurring some inconvenience for the sake of educating our countrymen and defending our rights. And since OCDO lists NH as anomolous (as well as Ohio, where I live and open carry everywhere), I was curious.

Normally, I would go to packing.org, but they've been down for the last 12 hours or so.
Carrying openly in bars and restaurants isn't common in NH, but it's pretty common when compared to the rest of the country. Virginia is probably the big exception, with a large energized group engaging in open carry.

I don't understand the OCDO rating of NH as "anomolous" on open carry while giving Vermont a gold star. Open carry in NH is exactly the same as Vermont: it's legal because there's no law against it. The law requires a license to carry concealed or carry a loaded handgun in a car, and is silent on open carry.

In many states it's illegal to carry where alcohol is served, but not in NH. Open or concealed, the list of prohibited places is very short: court rooms. That's it, just court rooms (and they provide secure storage for your gun while you're inside). (Federal buildings apply their own rules, of course.) There is complete statewide preemption; local governments cannot restrict carry.

While we've referred to Murphy's Taproom as a "bar", techically it's a restaurant (with a great menu). NH licenses businesses that serve alcohol as either restaurants or private clubs. The club rules are quite strict, and are usually places like the VFW, Elks, etc.

Private property rules always apply, of course. If a business owner doesn't want you to carry, they can ask you to leave, and refusing would be trespass.

Oh, and packing.org has been dead for a lot longer than 12 hours. It's been about 3 months now.

If you'd like to see more good videos, Dave has more of them up at http://www.youtube.com/ridleyreport .

JSK333

imported post

I'm sure the "anomolous" rating is due to needing a license for open/any loadedcarry inside a vehicle. Same reason Ohio is still rated this way (and PA, except you also need one for OC anywhere in Philly).

Demarest

imported post

Thank you for all the information. The more I read, the more I smile. I certainly hope to be able to join you all as soon as is realistic for me.

lasertech

imported post

The only place I can think of in Manchester where I can't carry outside of the court building would be the Verizon Wireless Arena.
Their website states no firearms nor knives and the last time I was there I was wanded.
Other than that, I can't recall seeing any "No Guns" signs around.

mvpel

imported post

lasertech wrote:
The only place I can think of in Manchester where I can't carry outside of the court building would be the Verizon Wireless Arena.

It's arguable that since the Verizon is a city-owned venue, regulations banning firearms run afoul of the state preemption, but nobody's decided to be the test case yet, particularly with a Democrat legislature in session.

mvpel

imported post

The reason people talk about OC in a bar as if it's unusual is because many states around the country have laws forbidding armed self-defense in bars, or sometimes even in any place that serves alcohol for consumpion on premesis, or even places that have a liquor license at all including package liquor.

And typically when the subject comes up on other forums, such as in an ongoing thread at TheFiringLine.com, you wind up with a lot of people expressing the same kind of puritanical "zero tolerance" attitude that you get from the gun grabbers.

Since I carry 100% I now drink 0% of the time.

They're certainly entitled to their opinion, but the problem is that it's hard to tell whether their opinion is a result of the law or vice versa, or whether they would support a repeal of such restrictions on lawful self-defense.

lasertech

imported post

mvpel wrote:
lasertech wrote:

It's arguable that since the Verizon is a city-owned venue, regulations banning firearms run afoul of the state preemption, but nobody's decided to be the test case yet, particularly with a Democrat legislature in session.

I'm not all that interested in becoming a test case as well, but I'll try to work up a letter to both the city legal council and State Attorney General asking for a status and opinion.

Though, I'm not all that sure when I'll get the time to do that though.

Edited to add: As I think about it, it might fall into a gray area of the lawas the building is city owned, but run/leased/ managedby a private corp.

Slowhand

imported post

mvpel wrote:
The reason people talk about OC in a bar as if it's unusual is because many states around the country have laws forbidding armed self-defense in bars, or sometimes even in any place that serves alcohol for consumpion on premesis, or even places that have a liquor license at all including package liquor.

And typically when the subject comes up on other forums, such as in an ongoing thread at TheFiringLine.com, you wind up with a lot of people expressing the same kind of puritanical "zero tolerance" attitude that you get from the gun grabbers.

They're certainly entitled to their opinion, but the problem is that it's hard to tell whether their opinion is a result of the law or vice versa, or whether they would support a repeal of such restrictions on lawful self-defense.
I am curious. Here is VA we can open carry in resturants that serve alcohol, but we can't drink while carrying. In NH, can you drink alcohol while carrying? (Not that I would)

vtme_grad98

imported post

I don't see how that's a puritanical attitude. If I'm going to carry the means to end the life of someone assaulting me, I want to have the best judgement possible available to me. It's just as reckless to be armed while your judgement is impaired as it is to drive a vehicle in the same condition.

I just wish you guys had an OC thing on Saturdays as well. I'm heading up that way on my motorcycle next weekend, and I'd be more than willing to break from the get-together I'm attending for a couple hours to support the local cause....even if I do just drink diet soda while armed.

KBCraig

imported post

I edited the original post to reflect this: the video has been removed from Youtube at the request of the business owner. Even though no laws or rules were being broken, and even though the business owners had nothing to do with making or posting the video, the liquor commission threatened to yank his liquor license.

:X

All patrons are asked to carry discreetly or concealed.