• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Good encounter

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

So I was out at the Ace Hardware in Emerald Isle getting some Boy Scout stuffs for the g/f's kid. There was an old guy sitting in the store on an outdoor folding chair, and as I walked by he says "who you with??". I obviously knew he was asking about the gun, but it was an akward question so I played dumb and said "umm..what do youmean?". "You've got a sidearm, wonderin if yer Police or security..I'm retired (whatever PD)." I smiled and told him I just carried for personal protection. He started telling me about how I gotta be careful because lots of stores don't letcha do that anymore. You gotta watch for signs. I smiled politely and ended the conversation..

About 5 minutes later, as we were walking out, he came around a corner and just started talking..."ya know the reason I asked is because ya just don't see that anymore...people just don't do it. You're the first one I've seen in 6 years that wasn't a cop. More people should do it, it's your right. I really haven't carried like that since I retired...I should, though."

Needless to say what I THOUGHT was a bad encounter turned into a good one :).

acritical

imported post

Definitely a great encounter. Goes along with the encounter of mine in Raleigh this past weekend. Looks like NC LEO, for the most part,is a proponent of their citizens carrying.

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

Eh I've met my fair share of each. The local PD here in Havelock has the "why bother? It's too dangerous. Just call us" attitude. Then again the supervisor in Morehead City gave me free reign in the entire city unless there's a sign posted. (I was asking about some beach access, and he literally said that I unless I see a sign I'm fine, lol.) I realize there's more to it than that, but normally you expect PDs to advise to stay on the side of caution, lol.