• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Federal Way Ordinance

heresolong

imported post

I was just reading the Federal Way synopsis of open carry that they put out for their officers and was curious about the FW ordinances that are listed at the bottom of the document. Aren't they a violation of state law? Seems like state preemption ONLY allows local governments to pass laws restricting the firing of weapons and restricting non permit holders in certain areas.

I'm not from FW but has anyone challenged these ordinances?

amlevin

imported post

heresolong wrote:
I was just reading the Federal Way synopsis of open carry that they put out for their officers and was curious about the FW ordinances that are listed at the bottom of the document. Aren't they a violation of state law? Seems like state preemption ONLY allows local governments to pass laws restricting the firing of weapons and restricting non permit holders in certain areas.

Cities and Counties often "mirror" state law so THEY can prosecute the crime. I only State Law was in force then all crimes covered would have to be prosecuted by the State AG.

The preemption law says that only laws "more restrictive" are nullified.

gregma

imported post

amlevin wrote:
heresolong wrote:

Cities and Counties often "mirror" state law so THEY can prosecute the crime. I only State Law was in force then all crimes covered would have to be prosecuted by the State AG.

The preemption law says that only laws "more restrictive" are nullified.
More specifically. RCW 9.41.290 states (Bolded emphasis mine):

...Cities, towns, and counties or other municipalities may enact only those laws and ordinances relating to firearms that are specifically authorized by state law...
...Local laws and ordinances that are inconsistent with, more restrictive than, or exceed the requirements of state law shall not be enacted and are preempted and repealed...
Thus as Amlevin states, local jurisdictions may enact laws that mirrow state laws.

Please help our growing organization: http://www.nwcdl.org

G27

imported post

I think he is referring to the two ordinance that say you can't carry in a public building and you can't carry into any establishment that serves alcohol. I'm just going off the top of my head, sorry if it is something different. But yes, these repealed because they are stricter than state law. When in doubt, always follow state law. Local laws mean nothing if it were to be brought before a judge.

deanf

imported post

I (sic) only State Law was in force then all crimes covered would have to be prosecuted by the State AG.

Uh, no. City attorneys and county prosecutors have full authority to prosecute violations of state law. City attorneys misdemeanors only - county prosecutors misdeneanors and felonies.