• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

"The NRA might be right after all"

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
imported post

vmathis12019 wrote:
Excitement oozes from my pores. It just warms my soul to see that the liberals have brains after all.
While they very well may have brains, they have a difficult time using them logically and correctly. Having been on that side of the political fence in my youth, I can tell you that they just do not think at all like us. Furthermore, they have distain for us and consider us the "great unwashed masses".. at least the more radical of them.

Tomahawk

imported post

Dutch Uncle wrote:
The intellectually honest ones seem to realize the left is going to get reamed and there will be a whole new attitude about gun laws if/when this happens.
One can only hope! :)

Although I have my reservations. This SC has a lot of "conservatives" on it, who, aside from maybe Clarence Thomas, are pretty squishy on matters of personal liberty. It wouldn't surprise me if they rule for the individual right, but then water it down with a bunch of BS about "reasonable restrictions" blah blah blah, in which case we might be in a bind. Remember, these dunderheads found McCain-Feingold to be constitutional.

sjhipple

imported post

Tomahawk wrote:
This SC has a lot of "conservatives" on it, who, aside from maybe Clarence Thomas, are pretty squishy on matters of personal liberty.
Tell me about it.
It wouldn't surprise me if they rule for the individual right, but then water it down with a bunch of BS about "reasonable restrictions" blah blah blah, in which case we might be in a bind. Remember, these dunderheads found McCain-Feingold to be constitutional.
There is no doubt at all that they are going to say that there can be "reasonable restrictions." They say this about EVERY personal right. They allow "reasonable restrictions" on free speech too. I doubt guns will be any different. That will be much better a situation than what we have now.

Really though, that's not going to be a bad thing. The thing about the situation we're in right now is that there is ONLY an upside. We've ALREADY been operating under the assumption that there is no Constitutional right to keep and bear arms. All the rights we've gotten have been at the ballot box. Even if we lose, it will be very damaging because of the bad precedent, but it will mostly put us right back where we were in the first place: all our rights being at the ballot box.

Thundar

imported post

The article is interesting, but I disagre in part. The constitution did not create the right to arms. That right existed before the constitution was written. The constitution merely affirmed that right.

dng

State Researcher
imported post

Thundar wrote:
The article is interesting, but I disagre in part. The constitution did not create the right to arms. That right existed before the constitution was written. The constitution merely affirmed that right.
I agree! I believe we have the God given right to have the means to protect ourselves, and the constitution merely re-states what is already a right.