• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Out of Control Physicians

Dutch Uncle

Campaign Veteran
imported post

http://www.bostonherald.com/news/opinion/op_ed/view.bg?articleid=1035832

This is one of the most repulsive things I have read in a long time. It appears the liberals in the American Academy of Pediatrics are trying to force pediatricians to spy on the parents of their patients. All for the greater good, of course. Expect these fascists to be given even greater encouragement if HillaryCare ever comes to pass. Maybe they will start asking about the parents' political affiliation, and if they answer "conservative" they will be referred for some "re-education".

WV XD Guy

imported post

This is outrageous. Now I can see a physician asking some of these questions if they suspect abuse. But to just do this across the board is non-sense. But, I guess this is the new America where everyone is guilty until proven innocent and there no longer is any expectation or respect for privacy.:cuss:

hsmith

imported post

I don't understand how this doesn't violate HIPPA, but I guess that doesn't matter when you want to grab guns.

Skeptic

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Don't swimming pools kill more kids than guns in the US?

Perhaps only government officials like police and military should be allowed to have swimming pools.

And then the good doctors can turn their spying to the national epidemic of evil that is the Home Swimming Pool. :lol::lol:

Bulldog1967

imported post

Skeptic wrote:

Perhaps only government officials like police and military should be allowed to have swimming pools.

And then the good doctors can turn their spying to the national epidemic of evil that is the Home Swimming Pool. :lol::lol:

DOCTORS kill more people through malpractice than guns!

30 cal slut

imported post

yeesh. to be honest, i haven't run across any docs that are this nosy (even in Massholechussets)... if this happens, i'll just find a new doc. no shortage of good ones where i live.

if it's any more than "turn your head and cough" or "dang, you need to lose weight and stop eating like a pig" then i'm outta there.

Doc, what’s up with snooping?
Pediatrician paranoia runs deep

By Michael Graham| Thursday, October 4, 2007|http://www.bostonherald.com|Op-Ed
They’re watching you right now.

They counted every beer you drank during last night’s Red Sox [team stats] game.

They see you sneaking out to the garage for a smoke.

They know if you’ve got a gun, and where you keep it.

They’re your kids, and they’re the National Security Agency of the Nanny State.

I found this out after my 13-year-old daughter’s annual checkup. Her pediatrician grilled her about alcohol and drug abuse.

Not my daughter’s boozing. Mine.

“The doctor wanted to know how much you and mom drink, and if I think it’s too much,” my daughter told us afterward, rolling her eyes in that exasperated 13-year-old way. “She asked if you two did drugs, or if there are drugs in the house.”

“What!” I yelped. “Who told her about my stasher, I mean, ‘It’s an outrage!’ ”

I turned to my wife. “You took her to the doctor. Why didn’t you say something?”

She couldn’t, she told me, because she knew nothing about it. All these questions were asked in private, without my wife’s knowledge or consent.

“The doctor wanted to know how we get along,” my daughter continued. Then she paused. “And if, well, Daddy, if you made me feel uncomfortable.”

Great. I send my daughter to the pediatrician to find out if she’s fit to play lacrosse, and the doctor spends her time trying to find out if her mom and I are drunk, drug-addicted sex criminals.

We’re not alone, either. Thanks to guidelines issued by the American Academy of Pediatrics and supported by the commonwealth, doctors across Massachusetts are interrogating our kids about mom and dad’s “bad” behavior.

We used to be proud parents. Now, thanks to the AAP, we’re “persons of interest.”

The paranoia over parents is so strong that the AAP encourages doctors to ignore “legal barriers and deference to parental involvement” and shake the children down for all the inside information they can get.

And that information doesn’t stay with the doctor, either.

Debbie is a mom from Uxbridge who was in the examination room when the pediatrician asked her 5-year-old, “Does Daddy own a gun?”

When the little girl said yes, the doctor began grilling her and her mom about the number and type of guns, how they are stored, etc.

If the incident had ended there, it would have merely been annoying.

But when a friend in law enforcement let Debbie know that her doctor had filed a report with the police about her family’s (entirely legal) gun ownership, she got mad.

She also got a new doctor.

In fact, the problem of anti-gun advocacy in the examining room has become so widespread that some states are considering legislation to stop it.

Last year, my 7-year-old was asked about my guns during his physical examination. He promptly announced to the doctor that his father is the proud owner of a laser sighted plasma rifle perfect for destroying Throggs.

At least as of this writing, no police report has been filed.

“I still like my previous pediatrician,” Debbie told me. “She seemed embarrassed to ask the gun questions and apologized afterward. But she didn’t seem to have a choice.”

Of course doctors have a choice.

They could choose, for example, to ask me about my drunken revels, and not my children.

They could choose not to put my children in this terrible position.

They could choose, even here in Massachusetts, to leave their politics out of the office.

But the doctors aren’t asking us parents.

They’re asking our kids.

Worst of all, they’re asking all kids about sexual abuse without any provocation or probable cause.

The American Academy of Pediatrics has declared all parents guilty until proven innocent.

And then they wonder why we drink.

Article URL: http://www.bostonherald.com/news/opinion/op_ed/view.bg?articleid=1035832

tarzan1888

imported post

Skeptic wrote:

Here are the real Stats. See for yourself. These are for 2004, which are the latest available for the entire US. 2005 will be available soon.

http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/nvsr/nvsr55/nvsr55_19.pdf

(Table 11 Page 34)

For children 14 and under here are just a few stats for accidents;

Firearms - 63

Poisoning - 86

Falls - 107

Drowning - 761

Just thought you would like to know.

Tarzan

[align=center][/align]

[align=center][font="GEIKH K+ Helvetica,Helvetica"][/align][/font]

Thundar

imported post

This is medical malpractice.

The only way to correct medical malpractice is with ambulance chasers!

It is absurd to think that a doctor would ask such intrusive questions. Questions about family safety are inappropriate. Doctors are medical experts, not safety experts.

It is actionable when doctors violate their trust with a patient and inform police about people’s personal lives. All it takes is one good case where a citizen is “harmed” by these reprehensible actions of the physician. If a few good citizensthenwidely disseminatethe financial consequence to the physicians insurance company, this practice would stop.

When did they slip the “informant” job description into the Hippocratic Oath anyways?

zoom6zoom

imported post

Heck, five gallon buckets kill more kids than guns. And don't forget for a lot of their statistics they count anyone under 25 as a "child". Gotta love honest statistics.

Skeptic

Founder's Club Member
imported post

zoom6zoom wrote:
Heck, five gallon buckets kill more kids than guns. And don't forget for a lot of their statistics they count anyone under 25 as a "child". Gotta love honest statistics.
True - and I know some of the stats also count "kids" who shoot each other in gang shootings and drug buys gone bad.

NytoVa

imported post

Our pediatrician askedif we have guns in the houseduring my son's appointment several years ago.

I said sure do..lots of them. And all 3 kids (her patients) are great shots and shoot 2-3 times a month. All she did was hand me a pamphlet on gun safety & storage. She's never said a word since.

BobCav

Founder's Club Member
imported post

So let's start a database of all doctors that ask these questions and publish it on the net! Oh, and invite them to visit and see their name in lights!

It works both ways.

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

NytoVa wrote:
Our pediatrician askedif we have guns in the houseduring my son's appointment several years ago.

I said sure do..lots of them. And all 3 kids (her patients) are great shots and shoot 2-3 times a month. All she did was hand me a pamphlet on gun safety & storage. She's never said a word since.
I would have either politely refused the pamphlet or set it down. If she asked why, I would have handed her a pamphlet on testicular cancer and said "that's about as relevant to me as this is to you".

vtme_grad98

imported post

Ok, I'm normally civil with my posts. But I just can't restrain myself on this one.

First, shove a copy of this in their face: http://www.2ampd.net/Articles/horn2/Firearms%20Malpractice%20Form.pdf. Then, if the pea-brained fucks are too stupid to grasp that they don't know what in the ******* hell they're talking about, and keep bringing it up, go find another doctor.

Ok, now that I've got that out of my system...

I have definitely learned one thing from that article. My wife and I intend to adopt in the next year or so. Now I know to not leave my child alone with the medical staff for even a second. I may also have to bring along some good noise protection for the young boy or girl to wear so they don't have to hear me school the doctor what what he is, and is not, trained to make judgements on.

It is absolutely reprehensible for doctors to abuse the trust that a young child has to violate the privacy of that child and his family.

vtme_grad98

imported post

DreQo wrote:
NytoVa wrote:

I would have either politely refused the pamphlet or set it down. If she asked why, I would have handed her a pamphlet on testicular cancer and said "that's about as relevant to me as this is to you".
I really like that one. Another good way to phrase it is "Here, because I'm as qualified to educate you on this as you are to "educate" me about firearms and firearm safety."

Dutch Uncle

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I asked my wife about her experience with our kids. About 10 years ago when my daughters were 8 and 10, the pediatrician asked about guns in the home. My wife recalls saying something like "Yes, we do. And each of the girls has her own .22 rifle. My husband has taught them gun safety and proper gun handling. They only use the rifles with his supervision, but they are pretty good shots for their age". He had nothing to say. At one point, I believe he said he kept a gun at home too.

TrueBrit

imported post

Dutch Uncle wrote:
I asked my wife about her experience with our kids. About 10 years ago when my daughters were 8 and 10, the pediatrician asked about guns in the home. My wife recalls saying something like "Yes, we do. And each of the girls has her own .22 rifle. My husband has taught them gun safety and proper gun handling. They only use the rifles with his supervision, but they are pretty good shots for their age". He had nothing to say. At one point, I believe he said he kept a gun at home too.

Yeah! Reminds me of the Sunday morning back in England, years ago, when I was cleaning my shotgun on the kitchen table, two small daughters"helping" me!

The ex mother in law came round for a coffee, so I propped the gun up in the corner, prior to washing my hands, and returning the gun to the gun-safe. MIL proceeded to berate me, telling me that the kids might run off with the gun! I just smirked at the old gal, and innocently asked her, "Why would they ever needdo that, Ma, since they have their own shotguns?" Much consternation and alarm ensued.....;)

Quite right to alert us to these meddling quacks, Uncle ! They should definitely be told to behave like medical professionals, and NOT THE SPANISH INQUISITION!

TrueBrit.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

On a talk radio program today, it was pointed out that this is the future of socialized medicine, with the clarification that doctors will be working for the state, who will be paying their fees. So guess who they are going to comply with.

Of course, a justified response would be to inquire in depth of the nurse at the front counter about the doctor's billing practices, sickened anyone from a medical mistake, had any controlled substances under their control go missing,ever been alone in an examination room with someone of the opposite sex with the door closed, whether they've ever disclosed patient information, gossipped about patients in the office, etc.

I'm sure you all can come up with even better questions.

kerchaulk

imported post

All I can say is know who you are taking your family to. I take my kids to the same doctor's office I went to as a child. Stay away from the "quick care" facilities, you never know who you will get or what they will do. IMHO