• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Going to DC!!

Diesel23

imported post

Ok guys, Ineed some help. I will be going to DC next weekend and well I can't take my firearm. So does anyone know DC laws about having a pocket knife or some OC spray? Any advice or info will be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I don't have any info.

Perhaps a check of the City Ordinances if they are on-line. Maybe the police website has something useful. Reliability will depend on whether they cite the Code.

Hokie94Sheepdog

imported post

CCW.... Don't ask, Don't Tell. Make sure you have large caliber or .357M.The District is dangerous- especiallyat night and weekends"Tis' better to be judged by twelve than be carried by 6."

swatpro911

imported post

if your scared to go out in Dc then take peper spray just incase. In DC you have to register mace but u can say i didnt know that and I am from virginia. Police would work with you. If you carry gun its going to be a big case. So leave the gun at home

LEO 229

imported post

If you carry a gun or pepper spray... you can get a ticket.

I am not sure why pepper spray would even need to be registered. It really does appear to me that DC actually wants to make fighting off criminals harder.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pepper_spray

Laws on Pepper Spray in the United States of America differ between states.

• Washington, D.C., possession of pepper spray must be registered with the DC Metropolitan Police.

vrwmiller

imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
If you carry a gun or pepper spray... you can get a ticket.

I am not sure why pepper spray would even need to be registered. It really does appear to me that DC actually wants to make fighting off criminals harder.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pepper_spray

Laws on Pepper Spray in the United States of America differ between states.
  • Washington, D.C., possession of pepper spray must be registered with the DC Metropolitan Police.
Sheesh. What a bunch of idiots in DC...and the citizens continue to vote those same morons into office that vote in these stupid ordnances that don't do sh!t to actually help the city be any safer. It's no wonder I never go into DC anymore. In fact, the last several times I've had the chance to go into DC I have refused because I will not go into a city that chooses to disarm me and remove my ability to defend myself.

This type of thing really makes me want to vomit!

Diesel23

imported post

Well I'm not going to carry a firearm into DC. I can't believe if I take pepper spray that I would have to register it with the police. Thanks for the info guys!! Everyone have a great weekend.

30 cal slut

imported post

black leather trenchcoat with a steyr aug and several 30 round mags? :celebrate

but then you'd have to accessorize with the right sunglasses.

decisions, decisions.

p.s. it's insane that you have to register OC with D.C. police. Might as well carry asmall spray bottle of habanero chili sauce or a bag of finely crushed hot red pepper on your person.

Skeptic

Founder's Club Member
imported post

The district does NOT want you to PROTECT yourself in anyway, if you are forced to they will charge you with whatever Crime they can drum up and even some they can't, may as well just go to CHINA...
So sad but true.

Perhaps DC is concerned that it would take away from the local thug economy if tourists (or anyone else) are allowed to defend themselves.

Dutch Uncle

Campaign Veteran
imported post

In a way, we shouldn't be surprised that DC is so bizarre. When any political entity is run for many years by a left-wing political machine, its bound to become terribly corrupt. One group of thugs owns the streets, and another group of thugs runs the government, with the honest citizens caught in between. Sickening.

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

Agent19 wrote:
bug spray works just as good as mace/pepper spray

Cite? I would be concerned that this could cause injury to the receiver. Does it matter to you? Probably not, but you could probably get sued/charged for it.. Doesn't hornet/wasp spray effect the nerves? It IS labeled as a poison if I'm not mistaken, so wouldn't you be essentially poisoning someone? This is a REALLY bad suggestion the way you worded it.

Something like thissounds like it would work and not have any long-term side effects, but something like Raid or Ortho has a potential to cause cancer and, and other severe complications..

http://www.getipm.com/articles/letters/raid-ortho.htm

Anyway, as far as the original question, I would suggest a classic CIA letter openeror something similar. You'll have a "knife" on you, and you wont have to worry about metal detectors. It's sad that we have to suggest that someone breaks the law in their own country's capital city just to protect themselves...

ChinChin

imported post

Agent19 wrote:

check local laws if you like but you can legally carry bug spray(RAID),find the smallest possible spray can that will fit into your cargo pocket

bug spray works just as good as mace/pepper spray
the stufffor wasp/hornets shoots a stream
Add a zippo, and you have the makings of a VERY effective criminal deturrant!

Dutch Uncle

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Bug sprays are neurotoxins. Although the dose of organophosphates produced by a spray to the face would probably not be enouhg to do a human any major harm, the point of deterrant sprays is to stop an attack without causing harm. I think you could be sued for using any poison spray or damaging irritant. Perhaps you could get around the OC spray law by getting a small squeeze bottle and filling it with Tabasco sauce that has been filtered through a paper towel (to get the particles out). I'll bet a face full of that would ruin your whole day!

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Ok guys, I need some help. I will be going to DC next weekend and
Let me offer my condolences......

In the interest of "preserving the domestic tranquility" I'll occasionally (very occasionally) go in to DC with visiting family. And I live less than 6 miles away.

Try not to spend money there. Why pay taxes to a government that doesn't support your rights.

True story - I was preserving the domestic tranquility but refused to stop for coffee with my sisters. We got on the Metro (another scam, but beats driving in the city), and got off in Virginia to have coffee.

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
imported post

Very simply, Washington, D.C. is a garbage dump.. full of, guess what?.. garbage. Just look what lives there and what runs the place. And for you people out there obsessed with race, no, I am not referring to black people specifically. Hell, they comprise the bulk of the criminals' victims. Most of our cities in this country with populations of 500,000 or more are cess pools of human waste. And they feed themselves upon the helpless victims those very cities have created.

DC is one of the worse of the lot. The local government is criminal as are the police and many of the other "service" agencies. Best thing that could happen to those idiots is to all climb about several large aircraft and meet up with some suicital hyjacker.

Sorry, but those types really discust me.