• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Norfolk scope Arena

paramedic70002

imported post

Here's a little email I just fired off r.e. a Scope employee searching my wife's purse for weapons. Never mind that we were both armed. I tried to not make the letter seem too slanted so I could get his real feelings on the matter.
---------------------------

Mr. Ramstine,

I recently attended an event at the Norfolk Scope. A certain activity undertaken by one of your employees has left me, as a former law enforcement officer, with some concerns.

As I and my wife, and our two children, approached the ticketing area from the garage, we were stopped, and my wife was asked to open her purse for inspection. She inquired as to the nature of the search, and was told it was "for weapons." Please note that there were no police officers in the immediate area during this encounter.

My wife consented to the search due to the lateness of our arrival, but I must tell you that otherwise there would have been a refusal.

The emloyee used a flashlight to look around inside the purse. The search was quite ineffective, considering he overlooked two items that could have been considered weapons or weapons components. Once the search was completed, we approached a sign indicating that bags, cameras, etc. were not allowed inside Scope, but no mention was made of weapons. I assume the search was in lieu of having to take the purse back to the car?

At no time was the baby stroller or baby bag searched, or for that matter our persons. We were not advised that weapons were prohibited inside Scope, either by your employee or by signage, yet the purse was searched "for weapons." We were never asked if we had weapons, or if we had permits for weapons. Was the search really for weapons, or was that a convenient excuse?

Could you please clarify whether Scope bans the possession of weapons on it's property, and if so, exactly what types of weapons are banned and searched for?

If this employee had discovered a weapon in my wife's purse, what would have been his immediate course of action?

Would I or my wife have been in danger had the employee attempted to handle said weapon?

What training do these employees get in weapons handling?

What if a weapon is discovered and a physical confrontation takes place involving the employee?

I assume that Scope is public property, owned by the City of Norfolk. Is Scope public or private property?

In light of the recent publicity in Norfolk regarding police officers illegally arresting or otherwise harassing citizens that openly carry firearms, and considering that Virginia has state preemption of local firearms ordinances, do you as the Director of the Scope, have the legal authority to ban the possession of firearms?

What is your policy when citizens are found in possession of handguns, who are also in possession of a valid concealed handgun permit?

In light of these concerns, is the search of a woman's purse really an effective tool, or a liability?

I look forward to your reply.

Thank you,

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

paramedic70002 wrote:
In light of these concerns, is the search of a woman's purse really an effective tool, or a liability?
Its all good;and I especially liked this question.

Dutch Uncle

Campaign Veteran
imported post

paramedic70002 wrote:
If this employee had discovered a weapon in my wife's purse, what would have been his immediate course of action?
I guess the only way to know for sure is to have your wife go back there with a 1911 (condition 3) in her purse.

(I wouldn't suggest you go there with a purse .;))

Good letter!

vtme_grad98

imported post

One of their employees almost had his hand broken when my wife and I went to the gun show, because the guy doing purse searches just grabbed her purse side arm. No polite shoulder tap or anything. He just went straight to grabbing her arm.

Just one of many reasons for why that was both our first and last time to attend the gun show at the Scope.
I assume that Scope is public property, owned by the City of Norfolk. Is Scope public or private property?
I'd like to know the answer to that one as well.

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Ooooh. I'm really looking forward to the answer to this one. You've raised some EXCELLENT points.

I have a concealment purse, and an employee would have to know where to look for the weapon.

mobeewan

imported post

Scope is city property. Norfolk did not have gun shows at Scope for several years.

Due to full preemption of local gun laws by the change in state law a couple years ago they can no longer ban gun shows on city property. However, if someone rents the Scope for an event, they may be able to prohibit them.

The gun show organizers for shows in Hampton that used to occur at the Coliseum and now occur at the convention center post a sign that says no loaded weapons are allowed. They can do this since they are renting the facility. This is for liability reasons so no one pulls out a gun to show someone and has an accident. I have a CHP so I carry mine into the show concealed without checking it at the door, but I unload it in the truck before I go in and stick the mag in my pocket.

paramedic70002

imported post

Here is the text of the first preliminary reply:
---------------------
Thanks for taking the time to write. I am in the process of gather information about your visit and will respond once I have completed my review. John Rhamstine, CFE Director
--------------------------
Translation: My lawyers haven't called back yet.