• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Another pitbull attack

papasmee

imported post

agent19 - just out of curiosity, would you let 1 or both of your children play in a group of dogs? also, were they all large breeds or did they vary in size? did you raise them? i notice that you have 2 kids but now only have 1 dog.

i agree 100% that poor breeding and bad owners has had a LOT to do with the situation. but, a group of dogs is still a group of dogs and can turn into a pack quickly and do unexpected things. much like a group of kids:lol:.never turn your back on a small group of kids - just look them firmly in the eye and back away slowly. thankswhat i do with the grand-kids:shock:.

and, of course, size does matter. while you might get attacked by a Pekingese or a dachshundthey are easy to defend against

but seriously, maybe i'm being overly cautious but i would never let a small child play in or near a group of dogs. just too much of a risk and you can never undo the damage if it goes wrong.

other the other hand - there'snothing like a large dog to make a bg keep walking.

papasmee(dog lover)

G

imported post

ilbob wrote:
as long as you keep your dog in your house, in your fenced in yard, or on a leash, I don't care if you keep a wolf.

don't expect the rest of us to feel sorry for you if the dog gets loose and someone shoots it. better safe than sorry and there is no way to know if a stray pit is dangerous or not.

same thing applies to other dog breeds known to be aggressive for no real reason (like GSDs, chows, rotties, etc.). I know that a lot of them are friendly as heck, but when they are more than ten feet away from their owner, you can't depend on that with any dog.

Bob,

Agreed on in the house or fenced yard, 'reasonably secure'. Personally I dont feel the fenced yard is enough when no one is home for any length of time.

I dont know about IL. But here you cant just shoot loose animals. You need 'reasonable cause'. 'Eminent threat' to you or yours. Trespassing or property damage in not justifiable. You can ask or sue for compensation but you cant just start shooting. This reminds me of a story on this very board about an off duty NY cop (NY if I recall correctly) that was in some trouble for shooting peoples dogs unjustifiably.

The old sayings of dont show fear and dont run are truely wise. Conversely if you run at a dog to scare it away or approach it threateningly with a baseball bat itmay very well react aggresively. To do so is escalation imo. Thats a classic situation. Billy bad and dumb ass in action. And then he says he was attacked without provocation.

The killings of three pits on murderous rampages in four days seems a bit far fetched but possible I suppose. Or is it just open season, legally questionable unspoken policy by LEO, or simply trigger happy.

Reverend,

Yours was a needless slur on a public forum.

G

imported post

Re: They attacked someones pug.

Thats reason enoughto shoot imo.

ilbob

Campaign Veteran
imported post

StrictlySig wrote:
Re: They attacked someones pug.

Thats reason enoughto shoot imo.
even "friendly" pits are notorious for being dog aggressive. just part of the genetic makeup I guess. good training and supervision will restrain those traits, but when they are off on their own, they tend to revert to type.

Marco

imported post

ilbob wrote:
SNIP:
even "friendly" pits are notorious for being dog aggressive
when they are off on their own, they tend to revert to type.

this is a untrue statement.
:dude::arrow::?
rose_wilted.gif

tarzan1888

imported post

ilbob wrote:
I suspect virtually all dog attacks are the result of irresponsible owners....

Sorry but I have been around dogs all my life and in one sense they are like people. There are good ones and bad ones and many of the bad ones run in families.

We can influence them, but still they have traits that they follow.

ilbob wrote:
One of my wives relatives has a pit.

So you have multiple wives and one of them has a relative that has a pit?

ilbob wrote:
....has a pit. It loves everyone. Sleeps with the children, the whole story. One time it came after my wife. Scared the **** out of me.....

I ever have a dog that shows aggression period and it is history. End of story.

I love my Black Lab and it is like one of the family, BUT it is a dog and aggression will not be tolerated.

Tarzan

G

imported post

ilbob wrote:
even "friendly" pits are notorious for being dog aggressive. just part of the genetic makeup I guess. good training and supervision will restrain those traits, but when they are off on their own, they tend to revert to type.

I understand ya. This is all as deep and wide as most subjects. I have to agree with Agent that pits dont have the market cornered.

Obvioulsy we agree that no dog should be running free. Not even a pug:) I call it the knowledge of evil. Once a dog finds out or experiences 'roaming'it will be a constant and continual problem in that respect for the rest of its life. It will teach others or others will teach yours. I'm serious:) Its something I consider and guard against among many other things in my personal methods and philosophies of dog ownership. Most of which I do to protect them as much as anything else.

To touch on what someone else said regarding all dogs, 'one is a pet, two or more is a pack'. And needless to say a roaming pack can be very bad news. And yes I know that even one is part of a pack. The packbeing the family he lives with, of which he is the lowest ranked member.Even below the newborn baby. Most dogs instinctively know that. A family that allows their dog to feel or act differently is headed for trouble.

When I hearabout another 'pitbull attack' the feeling is very similar to when I hear of another shooting spree. When I read a year or two ago about LEO and animal control knocking on peoples doors (in Denver I think it was) to confiscate their dogs, dogs thatare guilty of nothing except being the same breed, I wonder what country I'm living in.

I'm rambling, I know. Salutes, Bob.