• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Another pitbull attack

khmer_gentleman

imported post

MIDDLEBURG, Fla. -- [/b]A 42-year-old woman was fatally mauled by her two pit bulls, which also attacked the victim's son and a sheriff's deputy before both dogs were shot and killed on Tuesday morning, according to the Clay County Sheriff's Office.

http://www.news4jax.com/news/14250768/detail.html

theres also a video on the website, has the 911 recording of the son calling before he was attacked

ilbob

Campaign Veteran
imported post

The apologists for these type of dogs will no doubt have some kind of explanation for why these dogs turned. The usual claims of mistreatment and dog fighting don't seem to fit this particular case, nor do they seem to fit a lot of cases.

What amazes me is that anyone would want a pit when they know what can, and occasionally is the direct result of having a dog known to turn now and then, when the results are often fatal.

ilbob

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Rockford cops shot a pitbull yesterday at a school. Then arrested the owner for resisting. Police dept claims legit shoot. All non-police witnesses claim otherwise.

Maybeanother case of "the man with a hammer thinks all problems are nails".Who knows?

CA_Libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

ilbob wrote:
What amazes me is that anyone would want a pit when they know what can, and occasionally is the direct result of having a dog known to turn now and then, when the results are often fatal.
While owning a pit is statistically more risky than owning a goldfish, I would rather own a pit. I was raised from age 2 with a pit. We had him 15 years, and he never bit anyone, even the time he chased burglar out of our house (and over the fence and down the street).

It all comes down to training. A pit can be a docile and friendly animal if it is raised right; much how human temperament is shaped. Just like humans, there is no fail-safe way to do this.

Reverend73

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Ahh, good ole' Middleburg, white trash capitol of Florida. Did any of you catch this

A family friend at the home at the time shot at the dogs with a 9mm handgun, but they were still alive and one of them lunged at an arriving deputy before it was shot and killed.
2nd time the anemic 9mm has failed to stop a pit (that I know of)

FYI, Clay County Sherriffs office uses 10mm [Tim the toolman Tayor] ugh, ugh ugh[/Tim the toolman Taylor]

PT111

imported post

Reverend73 wrote:
Ahh, good ole' Middleburg, white trash capitol of Florida. Did any of you catch this

A family friend at the home at the time shot at the dogs with a 9mm handgun, but they were still alive and one of them lunged at an arriving deputy before it was shot and killed.
2nd time the anemic 9mm has failed to stop a pit (that I know of)

FYI, Clay County Sherriffs office uses 10mm [Tim the toolman Tayor] ugh, ugh ugh[/Tim the toolman Taylor]

Says he shot at the dogs, not that he shot them so I wouldn't jump to conclusions that a 9mm isn't effective against a pit bull.

G

imported post

Hi all. 'I here am new'. Been lurking a good while. Its been interesting. The militarization of the police and all the other good subjects and topics. And someone usually will post a view similar to mine so I've refrained from farting on the fire. 'How bout somemore beans, Mr. Hagert';) And maybe I should go ahead and say goodbye since Mike or Babcav may not be too thrilled with my first post/reply. I'll try to keep it semi civil though:)

ilbob wrote:
The apologists for these type of dogs will no doubt have some kind of explanation for why these dogs turned. The usual claims of mistreatment and dog fighting don't seem to fit this particular case, nor do they seem to fit a lot of cases.

Fine upstanding sir. I'll no more apologize for owning, loving and caring about "these type of dogs" anymore than I, or probably you, need to apologize or explain why accidents and criminaluse of9mm hand guns appears pervasive. Get it? If not heres a hint. There are alot of them, and alot of irresponsible people. Ever noticed how guns and pitbulls get very similar 'bad' attention from the media?'Guns AND pit bulls are bad. Lets ban them. And utopia will be at hand!' 'If we can save JUST ONE LIFE! blah blah'. Responsibilityfor a dog or any animal, particularly one of any size is just as serious as your responsibilty regarding firearms.

I take it you arrived at your anti pitbullsentiment after having atleast owned or known a few. No you didnt say ban. But after a little more bad press maybe?

99.9 infinitum % regardless of breed, dogs dont 'just turn'. Some mistake was made no matter how blatant or undiscernible. And I'm sure in this case as in most, we will never know what. Fwiw my best advice to any dog owner is _NEVER_EVER_ encourage aggression of any kind in a dog.Not even in playfullness.

Why have I taken issue here? I'm 43. I've owned and known the breed all my life just as I have known and owned firearms all my life. And on both issues I'm sick and tired of the anti BS. So, they'll get my dogs right after they get my guns. 'Unforseen consequences'. Get my drift? And they'll say 'He was a mad man. With guns, and lots of ammo, and a FULL two liter gasoline can in the shed out back that was certainly intended for.. well we can only imagine... :)

Re: the rockford incident and why the cops call it ligit and the bystanders dont. I'll take a shot, pun or not. The cop saw too many negative news reports and or propaganda about pits. The cops or the callers mind went off, 'OH MY GOD ITS A PITBULL! KILL IT!' Much like people and 'OH MY GOD ITS A MAN WITH A GUN! Out of the car, long hair! ;)

Reverend73,

Fine upstanding sir. And what is your point exactly? That Florida is a white trash state with the capitol being in middleburg. Or do you just have a problem with white people? And are you really a reverend, saying such things? Or just think you should be revered for some reason?

Reverend73

Founder's Club Member
imported post

StrictlySig wrote:
Reverend73,

Fine upstanding sir. And what is your point exactly? That Florida is a white trash state with the capitol being in middleburg. Or do you just have a problem with white people? And are you really a reverend, saying such things? Or just think you should be revered for some reason?
Ah, must of struck a cord with this one.

.40 Cal

State Researcher
imported post

I'm with you. We used to breed Rottweilers when I wasa kid, I had a Pitbull Terrier, and i currently own a Cane Corso (Italian Mastiff). All these breeds have been deemed viscious, but I've seen all of them around multiple strangers and kids and never once has there been more than a bark from any of them. Usually the problem is that the big dogs always want to sit on people's laps. That's a no no!:shock:

edit: the picture of the dog was too big!

dkd

imported post

ilbob wrote:

sorry but i own 2 of these dogs and they have never bitten anyone i sometimes leave them with my parents at their house in charles town, west virginia when i am traveling for work and they also love them. they are sometimes dog agressive but situational awareness and training handles any problems that could possibly arise. i love this breed and it will be the only one i ever own.

Marco

imported post

This is my rifle. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
My rifle is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life.
My rifle, without me, is useless. Without my rifle, I am useless. I must fire my rifle true. I must shoot straighter than my enemy who is trying to kill me. I must shoot him before he shoots me. I will...
My rifle and myself know that what counts in this war is not the rounds we fire, the noise of our burst, nor the smoke we make. We know that it is the hits that count. We will hit...
My rifle is human, even as I, because it is my life. Thus, I will learn it as a brother. I will learn its weaknesses, its strengths, its parts, its accessories, its sights and its barrel. I will ever guard it against the ravages of weather and damage as I will ever guard my legs, my arms, my eyes and my heart against damage. I will keep my rifle clean and ready. We will become part of each other. We will...
Before God, I swear this creed. My rifle and myself are the defenders of my country. We are the masters of our enemy. We are the saviors of my life...
So be it, until victory is America's and there is no enemy, but peace!

ilbob

Campaign Veteran
imported post

as long as you keep your dog in your house, in your fenced in yard, or on a leash, I don't care if you keep a wolf.

don't expect the rest of us to feel sorry for you if the dog gets loose and someone shoots it. better safe than sorry and there is no way to know if a stray pit is dangerous or not.

same thing applies to other dog breeds known to be aggressive for no real reason (like GSDs, chows, rotties, etc.). I know that a lot of them are friendly as heck, but when they are more than ten feet away from their owner, you can't depend on that with any dog.

ilbob

Campaign Veteran
imported post

cops killed some more pits yesterday. brings to 5 the number of dogs killed by cops within 15-20 miles of me this week. one rottie mix and four pits.

ilbob

Campaign Veteran
imported post

i heard yesterday that they normally only kill about ten per year.

lots of irresponsible dog owners letting their pits run loose at the same time I guess.

at least in the rottie mix case they tried to corral it first and only shot it when it seemed like it was going to attack. the practice with pits seems to be to take no chances. can't say I blame them one bit.

BTW, i think it is actually a total of 3 pits and the rottie mix. still an unusual number of dog shootings in four days.

vmathis12019

State Researcher
imported post

This is on the effectiveness of a 9mm against a dog.

I watched with my own two eyes my friend plug a Rotweiler with two Federal FMJs in the side. The dog ran off, and came back three days later and attacked his femal german shepard AGAIN. This time he met a deer slug from a Remington 870. He did not escape and heal up. Upon inspection, you could see both entry and exit wounds in the Rot' from the 9mm rounds. I am convinced that short of unloading an entire mag into the dog, 9mm is not the best route, or of course a spinal cord, brain, or heart shot.

Not arguing either way as I carry esclusively .357 mag or .45 auto. After all, if all you have is a 9mm, shoot the damn thing with the 9mm. However, if given a choice between 9mm and anything larger, I would go with the larger caliber. Dogs are very resilient animals, and under the right circumstances, extremely vicious. Even a mortally wounded dog can and may continue to attack, only dying after it's prey is dead.

papasmee

imported post

it is important to note that in this instance it was 2 dogs mauling their owner -a woman who had presumably raised them and acted kindly towards them. i notice that many of the posts seem to indicate that they onlyt have 1 dog - not serveral at the same time.

unless you personally raised these dogs from birth and personally knew their bloodlines i would never assume that they were not potentially aggressive.

also - if they were totally devoted to you they might never hurt you, but would turn on someone they saw as either a threat to youor sawas competiton for their affection.

in many (not all but many - maybe most??) cases the mauling occur when there are 2 or more dogs involved. remember, dogs are first and always animals. sure, they are domesticated to a certain extent but they will always revert back to their wolf-like nature should the ocassion or need arise.

when 2+ dogs get together there is often competition to determine the "alpha" and people can get caught in the middle. a group of dogs can quickly revert to their pack nature and see preyinstead of "owner".and every animal wants the largest share of the kill.

dogs can often tell the small, weak, old(children, older women, etc) and will attack them most often. you rarely hear of dog attacks on a group of men - or even a single man [ yes, you might find cases but i am willing to bet that the majority of all attack are as noted above]. wolves never attack the most healthly - they look for the old, weak, small or young.

i grew up with german shepherds and had them as an adult - but only singly. i have seen what happens when large breed dogs get together. the same dog that, by itself will sit all day in your lap and share your ice cream cone will, in an instance, turn vicous if another large dog decided to compete on any level for your attention.

now that i am older i have a smaller dog which i can easily handle with a stern glance or a bribe:D- and my .380 if necessary :cool:.

papasmee

Attachments

• kit the jack russell terror & beer hound.JPG
    kit the jack russell terror & beer hound.JPG
    52.6 KB · Views: 360

ilbob

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Agent19 wrote:

poor breeding and irresponsible owners tend to be the problem
I suspect virtually all dog attacks are the result of irresponsible owners, at least those attacked by strays. There is NEVER a good reason to let any dog run loose. They should always be under control, such as being confined in an enclosed area, or on a leash.

I once chatted with an experienced animal control officer whoopined thatshe felt stray dogs tend to be more aggressive then normal because they are under stress from being lost and in an unfamiliar situation.

One of my wives relatives has a pit. It loves everyone. Sleeps with the children, the whole story. One time it came after my wife. Scared the **** out of me. Fortunately her niece got the dog under control. No discernible reason why it decided to be aggressive toward my wife and no one else. I have never seen any other breed of dog go from friendly to just plain scary like that before, and I have been around dogs for most of my 49 years. Most dogs give you some warning signs. Pits generally don't. Plus pits don't just bite. They aim to kill when they attack. That is why pit attacks tend to be far more serious than beagle attacks.

The paper reported that the two pits the cops just shot here yesterday were attacking a pug, and the pug's owner tried to fend them off with a pool cue to no avail. Cops shoot one of them, it dies, the other one leaves, and then comes back later and threatens cop who shoots it.