• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Disturbing Bar Fight

Heartless_Conservative

imported post

One thing I can't stand is the anti's pants s****ing crys of'vigilantism'. The media does a good enough job of spreading malicious misinformation as it is, they don't need our help.

Vigilantism is, by definition:
a) A group activity. AND
b) Always illegal (the proverbial "taking the law into your own hands" which is another phrase that has been brutally abused by the antis).

Lawful self-defense IS NOT VIGILANTISM.

FiremanJoe

imported post

One of the things is that a bar owner's last resort is to have to call the police in, they hate to have to do that, they'd rather let some guys go home with bloody noses then to have had to call the cops.

Having bounced at a few bars, it's usually a owner I have had say he will be the one to decide if we call the cops and he'll call. Now. yes it goes agaionst a bars record, but if your outside, and headingout, drive away and call a fight in progress call in in front of abc bar.... works well..

Had a fight atbar I work recently the other bouncer was strugling with a drunk obnoxous guy who reached in his pockets for something, people thoughtthe bouncer was going off on the guy and asome girls called 911, after the cops t get there the guy smarts off to th cops gets himselfaressted, obvious to the cops, but best of all the cops looked at the video, and open closed seen bouncer walk guy to door guy reaches in pockets rowdy, bouncer takes defensive action to get the guy out side and they tumbnled out into the sidewalk....If i need help I will call 911, oh yea the only thing I can be armed with is a nice heavy MAG Lite and my OC Spray. Im in ohio...lol

If my gun is in my truck, I ain't drinking... we got a zero level BAC if in possession of GUN. or if I do , it getssecured unloaded andlocked in the vault in the truck.

my 3 cents.

ilbob

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Heartless_Conservative wrote:
Lawful self-defense IS NOT VIGILANTISM.

I don't think anyone herequestions the right to defend one's self.

I question your right to meddle in the bar owner's business.

protector84

imported post

I question your right to meddle in the bar owner's business.
Safety is everyone's business. I have no problem meddling in people's business when I havereason to believe that my safety or the safety of innocents is at risk. This does not mean I am a "vigilante" as the anti-gun crowd would want to believe. It is the quality of being a good citizen. Human lives always outweigh company profits. When there is a large group of people fighting with bottles and knives and a maniac is trying to ram his car into the crowd, the hell with the "bar owner's business." That car could have easily ran into me just by walking out at the wrong time. Hell, that car could have gone right inside the bar and injured or killed countless innocents. In case you don't understand let me make it more clear. Three people were assaulting each other with deadly weapons, four with simple assault, and at least one of those was "attempting murder" and causing possibly fatal "reckless endangerment" of everyone inside and outside that bar. All you would care about is the stupid bar management's "rights" to run a business in those circumstances. Nonsense. Life, liberty, and pursuit of happiness are rights. Running a bar is a privilege.

Once again, I agree with other comments about not picking up the knife. However, looking back at the situation I probably should have actually opened fire on the man in the car which would have been lawful self-defense of a third-party. Had that maniac's car or any of the others with the bottle/knife came my direction, I would have opened fire. F*ck the bar owner. All they would do is lose business for one freaking night and maybe the next day.

I may have not mentioned this in earlier posts but I found out that the bar had the entire thing recorded on surveillance cameras located on the roof of the bar overlooking the parking lot. This is why I am sure I wasn't 86ed but only scolded. Deep down they are probably glad I took care of it rather than having an army of cops surrounding the place with a couple of them discussing the future of their liquor license. Truth be told, you are liable for what happens on your property. They could have been sued for negligence if any innocent was hurt or killed because due to their lousy security, management was clearly unaware of what was going on on their property when they should have been more diligent.

So to conclude my point, your defense of management's so-called "rights" is clearly incorrect and foolish.

protector84

imported post

I've noticed multiple incidents where people don't seem to understand third-party defense. This is probably because the American populace has lost the most basic values of citizenship and morality. Not to go off-track but to comment more on the point of "meddling in other people's business" I had a similar reaction from an incident at the university. I pulled a fire alarm in the chemistry building after 20 minutes had gone on with people smelling a gas leak on multiple different floors. Professors and teaching assistants would not ask their classes to evacuate and when I went to the building manager's office in the front entrance they gave me a stupid look. After all I shouldn't "meddle in their business." When the fire department decided to close the building for about twelve hours, naturally they were mad at me for "meddling with University affairs" but deep down they knew thathad they have messed with my record by filing a complaint, they would have been buried in court due to their negligence.

Meddling with people is a good thing when it keeps you and others from getting killed. All one has to do in an emergency situation is ask themselves whose interests the endangered has and what interests that management has. The difference should be obvious.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I'll throw in my 2 cents.

The primary mistake was being in condition white walking out of the bar. I ALWAYS pause and look outside when leaving a bar because if there is a fight it is often right outside on the sidewalk or in the parking lot. Had you been more alert exiting, you probably would have seen the altercation in which case I would hope you would have turned around, walked back in and alerted the bar management as to what was going on outside and made sure your friends and others didn't walk into it.

Having friends inside and maniacs fighting outside you were in a catch-22 situation. I would have most likely retrieved my weapon, called the police and then yelled at the brawlers that the cops are on the way (even if I didn't really call the police for some reason I would still have yelled that they are on the way). That usually breaks it up. I would have then moved into a defensive covered position, eg between parked cars where I could observe any innocent bystanders such as my friends possibly getting involved. I would NOT have done anything to draw attention to my pistol unless someone started aggressing on me because 1) it could cause an escalation and 2) it could be construed as brandishing if police arrive.
*shrug*

protector84

imported post

The primary mistake was being in condition white walking out of the bar. I ALWAYS pause and look outside when leaving a bar because if there is a fight it is often right outside on the sidewalk or in the parking lot. Had you been more alert exiting, you probably would have seen the altercation in which case I would hope you would have turned around, walked back in and alerted the bar management as to what was going on outside and made sure your friends and others didn't walk into it.
I normally am in condition yellow but this definitely seemed like a challenging situation because it took place so close to the door that I don't know if being even more alert would have helped because literally the second the door opened, I was in the middle of it. In fact, I don't even the think the door had come halfway closed before I was struck by one of the members in the fight. One reality about self-defense that I learned is that even the best techniques are not 100% effective. Even in condition yellow you can be caught off-guard. Suppose I was sitting near the door well aware of what was going on in my surroundings. That wouldn't help me if suddenly a pickup truck came crashing through the wall right where I was sitting. So this was one of those complicated situations. One of the reasons I keep drinking moderate (in addition to health and driving reasons) is that too much alcohol can quickly drop you from condition yellow to condition white and causes a delayed reaction response to a problem. Alcohol wasn't a factor in this case since it had probably been a good hour since the last drink since I often have waters before heading out and only had two or three that day (I can't remember but I may have mentioned it in my original post).

As to alerting security/management/police, the problem I run into is that they are often in condition white or not even around at all. Situations such as these often happen so fast and in just a few seconds they escalate to a dangerous level. You don't have five minutes to explain to the security all the details and there is the chance that you can't even find them (say he is in the men's room). Then you tell them and they don't even want to deal with it. Pretty frustrating. I've had problems before in public places where I tell a person that is in charge something like "Serious situation around the corner. Better do something quickly." and then I getfive seconds of a blank dumb look on their face followed by a "Huh?" So then I have to repeat myself a second time going into more details and they still have the same blank dumb look and don't know what the hell I am talking about.

I don't want to have to deal with third-party defense but it seems like too many times the only way to get things done is to handle it yourself. It is scary how those in charge are so in condition white that you almost have to pull out your gun to wake them up (I'm only kidding). This is even true with many cops I've come across. They will be so focused on one thing that they are completely oblivious to the overall surrounding environment.

Having friends inside and maniacs fighting outside you were in a catch-22 situation. I would have most likely retrieved my weapon, called the police and then yelled at the brawlers that the cops are on the way (even if I didn't really call the police for some reason I would still have yelled that they are on the way). That usually breaks it up. I would have then moved into a defensive covered position, eg between parked cars where I could observe any innocent bystanders such as my friends possibly getting involved. I would NOT have done anything to draw attention to my pistol unless someone started aggressing on me because 1) it could cause an escalation and 2) it could be construed as brandishing if police arrive.

I used to handle situations by calling the police but have found it completely ineffective. I had a man pull a knife on me and try to carjack me while I was in the car. I rolled up the window on his arm forcing him to try to retreive it before I took my foot off the brake and nearly broke his arm. Instead of running away after I twisted his arm he goes up to another person in a car. So I pick up the phone and call 911. I get a busy signal. I call back again and get a recording. Finally I get through and the person is already gone. I have to repeat myself twice over the phone to two different dispatchers. Then the police come to me instead of looking for the criminal and I have to tell three cops the same story again. Then they rush in the direction he went but couldn't catch him because they forgot that it was a dead-end road. So now the criminal is out there somewhere on the streets instead of in jail. Because of the police incompetence and my aggressive defense, instead of attacking another young man it will probably be a senior citizen. At the time I was simply armed with a phone and not a gun.

It does seem like sad to say that a couple of well-placed bullets is the only way to get things done. I'm sure I would have been in my right to shoot him just like I probably could have shot three of them at the bar (the ones with the bottle, knife, and car).

All my friends tell me "avoid this crap." The problem is that you can't avoid it. It seems like society is getting so f-ed up that anywhere you go day or night there is a problem. Whether it is driving or walking, pumping gas, getting groceries, running other errands, spending time with friends, it seems like without exception there is always something going on. What is interesting is that I am almost the only person that actually notices this stuff and then they say I am looking for trouble. The reason others never see it is because they are so in condition white and have the mentality of "it will never happen to me." I guess though it is better for yourpsychological well-beingto not notice this crap than to keep having to deal with it. Naturally if you notice a problem you are going to have to deal with it one way or another. Again, how is it that seven men are trying to kill one another and nobody knows what is going on? Why is it that almost 100% of people's brainsseem to be the case of "the lights are on but nobody's home?" Scary.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

protector84 wrote:
I normally am in condition yellow but this definitely seemed like a challenging situation because it took place so close to the door that I don't know if being even more alert would have helped because literally the second the door opened, I was in the middle of it. In fact, I don't even the think the door had come halfway closed before I was struck by one of the members in the fight. One reality about self-defense that I learned is that even the best techniques are not 100% effective. Even in condition yellow you can be caught off-guard. Suppose I was sitting near the door well aware of what was going on in my surroundings. That wouldn't help me if suddenly a pickup truck came crashing through the wall right where I was sitting. So this was one of those complicated situations. One of the reasons I keep drinking moderate (in addition to health and driving reasons) is that too much alcohol can quickly drop you from condition yellow to condition white and causes a delayed reaction response to a problem. Alcohol wasn't a factor in this case since it had probably been a good hour since the last drink since I often have waters before heading out and only had two or three that day (I can't remember but I may have mentioned it in my original post).

As to alerting security/management/police, the problem I run into is that they are often in condition white or not even around at all. Situations such as these often happen so fast and in just a few seconds they escalate to a dangerous level. You don't have five minutes to explain to the security all the details and there is the chance that you can't even find them (say he is in the men's room). Then you tell them and they don't even want to deal with it. Pretty frustrating. I've had problems before in public places where I tell a person that is in charge something like "Serious situation around the corner. Better do something quickly." and then I getfive seconds of a blank dumb look on their face followed by a "Huh?" So then I have to repeat myself a second time going into more details and they still have the same blank dumb look and don't know what the hell I am talking about.

I don't want to have to deal with third-party defense but it seems like too many times the only way to get things done is to handle it yourself. It is scary how those in charge are so in condition white that you almost have to pull out your gun to wake them up (I'm only kidding). This is even true with many cops I've come across. They will be so focused on one thing that they are completely oblivious to the overall surrounding environment.

I used to handle situations by calling the police but have found it completely ineffective. I had a man pull a knife on me and try to carjack me while I was in the car. I rolled up the window on his arm forcing him to try to retreive it before I took my foot off the brake and nearly broke his arm. Instead of running away after I twisted his arm he goes up to another person in a car. So I pick up the phone and call 911. I get a busy signal. I call back again and get a recording. Finally I get through and the person is already gone. I have to repeat myself twice over the phone to two different dispatchers. Then the police come to me instead of looking for the criminal and I have to tell three cops the same story again. Then they rush in the direction he went but couldn't catch him because they forgot that it was a dead-end road. So now the criminal is out there somewhere on the streets instead of in jail. Because of the police incompetence and my aggressive defense, instead of attacking another young man it will probably be a senior citizen. At the time I was simply armed with a phone and not a gun.

It does seem like sad to say that a couple of well-placed bullets is the only way to get things done. I'm sure I would have been in my right to shoot him just like I probably could have shot three of them at the bar (the ones with the bottle, knife, and car).

All my friends tell me "avoid this crap." The problem is that you can't avoid it. It seems like society is getting so f-ed up that anywhere you go day or night there is a problem. Whether it is driving or walking, pumping gas, getting groceries, running other errands, spending time with friends, it seems like without exception there is always something going on. What is interesting is that I am almost the only person that actually notices this stuff and then they say I am looking for trouble. The reason others never see it is because they are so in condition white and have the mentality of "it will never happen to me." I guess though it is better for yourpsychological well-beingto not notice this crap than to keep having to deal with it. Naturally if you notice a problem you are going to have to deal with it one way or another. Again, how is it that seven men are trying to kill one another and nobody knows what is going on? Why is it that almost 100% of people's brainsseem to be the case of "the lights are on but nobody's home?" Scary.
Yes, scary.
yessmiley.gif

spurrit

imported post

First off, abandon this "Protector" name/persona, and get a clue. Buying a couple of guns odes NOT qualify you to protect anyone. PLUS, if you ever do end up in a third party shooting, and the prosecutor for some reason, gets ahold of your computer, it will go to state of mind-AGAINST you.

Second, once you got to safety, (your truck) you should have armed yourself and called 911, and told them guys were trying to kill each other. If people were egging the guy in the car on, there was no longer anyone in need of protection. The assault was mutual, at that point. In that situation, you keep your ass down and wait for the cavalry.

Third, the bar owner is a dick. If you felt the need to protect yourself, and wanted to pick up a free knife or keep a kid from finding a dangerous object, that's your business. Tell her to go to hell and hire some decent security. It's none of her business. Drink somewhere else.

Me

imported post

I realize this is an old thread, but I think it's interesting. It sounds to me like everyone who was there wanted to be involved (ex: the "cat and mouse"). You didn't really come to anyone's defense, but rather broke up a fight.

Also, the fact that you had been drinking seems to be asking for legal trouble.

I'm glad it worked out for you, and that you broke up the fight. Next time I'd do otherwise.

jimwyant

imported post

This is off topic, but when did HankT get promoted to State Administrator? I thought he'd disappeared. He hasn't posted since early December, at least nothing that has survived LW's delete button. :D

spurrit

imported post

....in other words..... Don't throw sh.. stuff around, and maybe the flies won't show up! :banghead:

Liko81

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I definitely would have gotten my gun. I would not have used it (or threatened to do so which in many jurisdictions is the same thing) unless it was clear that the fight was going badly for somebody and they weregoing to die for it.

Justificationfor defense of another personusually only covers situations in which the person you are defending would themselves be justified, and that person is NOT justifiedif they provoked their attacker or engaged in mutual combat, unless they tried to retreat or disengage and were thwarted. Sounds like these guys were all intent on making it a big brou-ha-ha, and none of them were backing down, so your intervention on anybody's behalf was not justifiable. I'm not saying it was wrong to break up the fight, certainly since you did so without firing a shot (the best possible method), but understand that had the police shown up you would likely have been chucked in the cruiser and charged with escalation, brandishment, etc.

YOU SHOULD NOT HAVE TOUCHEDTHE KNIFE! It is evidence of a crime (assault with a deadly weapon or aggravated assault depending on jurisdiction) and your having interfered with it risks your exposure to destruction of evidence, obstruction of justice, or similar charges even if nobody else is ever charged with a crime.

spurrit

imported post

Oh, come on, now! He was just looking out for the little kids that hang out near bars late at night! :p