Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Please help me out here...

  1. #1
    Guest

    Post imported post

    The article below is what is written in our States Constitution which does give us the right to "Open Carry" or as the Article states "The right of the individual citizen to bear arms in defense of himself" While RCW 9.41.290 supports this article saying that the State pretty much controls all aspects of firearms there still is grey area that I am not sure about when it mentions something to the effect that local municipalities can write up there own ordinances but not to exceed the States. Seems to me this is a grey area. Bear in mind I am very new at this. I will be interested like you all will to see what happens in Bellingham. RCW 9.41.290 clearly states that Parks are not off limits to firearms so...

    Article I, Section 24

    The right of the individual citizen to bear arms in defense of himself, or the state, shall not be impaired, but nothing in this section shall be construed as authorizing individuals or corporations to organize, maintain or employ an armed body of men.


    Dave

  2. #2
    Guest

    Post imported post

    No need to reply. After further reading of RCW 9.41.290 I have a better understanding of it. More or less says that city, town and municipalities make up there own law governing where a Gun Shop can set up shopand can not operate within 500' of secondary school etc etc and other laws protecting the safety of it's citizens but no way takes away are right as gun owners to "open carry". I am really at the early stages of all this but once I am educated on my"right" I will then feel comfortable. About the time my Holster comes in from K&D Holsters for my Ruger SP101.

    How many people carry copies of this RCW 9.41.290 & Article I, Section 24 of the States Constitution with them when they are out and about? I think I will...

    Dave



  3. #3
    State Researcher
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    , Indiana, USA
    Posts
    1,606

    Post imported post

    You really don't have to carry anything on your person except a license/permit where applicable. Although carrying additional documentation would not hurt, but I suspect that not too many LEO's will be very receptive to being informed how to do their job by you, but it has worked before.

    The nerves go away with time, good luck, and let us know how it goes!

  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Union, Washington, USA
    Posts
    3,256

    Post imported post

    openryan wrote:
    You really don't have to carry anything on your person except a license/permit where applicable. Although carrying additional documentation would not hurt, but I suspect that not too many LEO's will be very receptive to being informed how to do their job by you, but it has worked before.

    The nerves go away with time, good luck, and let us know how it goes!
    There is no permit required in Washington to do open carry anywhere. Oregon is the place that has a requirement to have a CPL to open carry in some cities and places.

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Lynnwood, WA, ,
    Posts
    1,487

    Post imported post

    It's not a gray area. The cities like to write the same laws as the state so that they can prosecute a person on a city ordinance instead of making every criminal a burden of the state. The laws mirror the states, but can't be any more restrictive. They can be less restrictive, but the state law still applies, so it doesn't matter.

  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Everett, Washington, USA
    Posts
    3,339

    Post imported post

    Bear 45/70 wrote:
    openryan wrote:
    You really don't have to carry anything on your person except a license/permit where applicable. Although carrying additional documentation would not hurt, but I suspect that not too many LEO's will be very receptive to being informed how to do their job by you, but it has worked before.

    The nerves go away with time, good luck, and let us know how it goes!
    There is no permit required in Washington to do open carry anywhere. Oregon is the place that has a requirement to have a CPL to open carry in some cities and places.
    Just to clarify, I know bear knows, you need to have one if you carry loaded in any vehicle.
    "A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."

    "though I walk through the valley in the shadow of death, I fear no evil, for I know that you are by my side" Glock 23:40

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Union, Washington, USA
    Posts
    3,256

    Post imported post

    joeroket wrote:
    Bear 45/70 wrote:
    openryan wrote:
    You really don't have to carry anything on your person except a license/permit where applicable. Although carrying additional documentation would not hurt, but I suspect that not too many LEO's will be very receptive to being informed how to do their job by you, but it has worked before.

    The nerves go away with time, good luck, and let us know how it goes!
    There is no permit required in Washington to do open carry anywhere. Oregon is the place that has a requirement to have a CPL to open carry in some cities and places.
    Just to clarify, I know bear knows, you need to have one if you carry loaded in any vehicle.
    Yeah I know,that CPL requirement for carrying in a car,I fine baffling to say the least.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •