• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Please help me out here...

G

imported post

The article below is what is written in our States Constitution which does give us the right to "Open Carry" or as the Article states "The right of the individual citizen to bear arms in defense of himself" While RCW 9.41.290 supports this article saying that the State pretty much controls all aspects of firearms there still is grey area that I am not sure about when it mentions something to the effect that local municipalities can write up there own ordinances but not to exceed the States. Seems to me this is a grey area. Bear in mind I am very new at this. I will be interested like you all will to see what happens in Bellingham. RCW 9.41.290 clearly states that Parks are not off limits to firearms so...

Article I, Section 24

The right of the individual citizen to bear arms in defense of himself, or the state, shall not be impaired, but nothing in this section shall be construed as authorizing individuals or corporations to organize, maintain or employ an armed body of men.

Dave

G

imported post

No need to reply. After further reading of RCW 9.41.290 I have a better understanding of it. More or less says that city, town and municipalities make up there own law governing where a Gun Shop can set up shopand can not operate within 500' of secondary school etc etc and other laws protecting the safety of it's citizens but no way takes away are right as gun owners to "open carry". I am really at the early stages of all this but once I am educated on my"right" I will then feel comfortable. About the time my Holster comes in from K&D Holsters for my Ruger SP101.

How many people carry copies of this RCW 9.41.290 & Article I, Section 24 of the States Constitution with them when they are out and about? I think I will...

Dave

openryan

State Researcher
imported post

You really don't have to carry anything on your person except a license/permit where applicable. Although carrying additional documentation would not hurt, but I suspect that not too many LEO's will be very receptive to being informed how to do their job by you, but it has worked before.

The nerves go away with time, good luck, and let us know how it goes!

Bear 45/70

imported post

openryan wrote:
You really don't have to carry anything on your person except a license/permit where applicable. Although carrying additional documentation would not hurt, but I suspect that not too many LEO's will be very receptive to being informed how to do their job by you, but it has worked before.

There is no permit required in Washington to do open carry anywhere. Oregon is the place that has a requirement to have a CPL to open carry in some cities and places.

expvideo

imported post

It's not a gray area. The cities like to write the same laws as the state so that they can prosecute a person on a city ordinance instead of making every criminal a burden of the state. The laws mirror the states, but can't be any more restrictive. They can be less restrictive, but the state law still applies, so it doesn't matter.

joeroket

imported post

Bear 45/70 wrote:
openryan wrote:

There is no permit required in Washington to do open carry anywhere. Oregon is the place that has a requirement to have a CPL to open carry in some cities and places.
Just to clarify, I know bear knows, you need to have one if you carry loaded in any vehicle.

Bear 45/70

imported post

joeroket wrote:
Bear 45/70 wrote:
openryan wrote:

Just to clarify, I know bear knows, you need to have one if you carry loaded in any vehicle.
Yeah I know,that CPL requirement for carrying in a car,I fine baffling to say the least.