Thread: Visiting Colorado

Post imported post

My familly andI are considering a vataction To Colo arounf the X-Mas seaon.

My questions basicaly ellde to generally open carring in Cloraodo and any other rules pertainig local ordanaces curtailing one abliity to carring a side arm openly.

Post imported post

OC is banned in Denver, generally frowned upon in the surrounding suburbs (too many Californians moving here). Where are you planning on vacationing?

Post imported post

Flying into Denver and driving to Colorado springs; as well seeingsthat my wife was raised there, iI amsure she has plently of over side excursions planned too.

Post imported post

Keep in mind that DIA is in Denver, as Denver's city limits extend northeast (presumably to get the airport in city limits.) Also, traffic on E470 to I25 will be the lightest, so if you don't mind the tolls that may be the best route for you.

Edit:
    The E470 toll calculator says your total for Pena Blvd. (DIA) to I25 would be $5.75, so that is definitely worth it.

Post imported post

I have OCed in parts of Colorado Springs and Old Colorado City. It is very pro gun, and OC is generally accepted. One snag is at the Garden of the Gods, which has banned guns for some reason. My FL concealed carry license is not good in Colorado anymore because I am a resident of OH, so OC was the only way to go.

Post imported post

The Denver ban on OC, already noted in this thread, is the only place where OC is illegal in the state. Here in Aurora, the police are apparently gauranteed to hassle anyone who dares. I have seen anecdotal evidence in other threads here that OC is possible without hassle in Colorado Springs, Boulder, and a few other places.

Anywhere in CO, it is legal to have a concealed loaded pistol in your vehicle--links to 2 relevant statues are provided below.

18-12-105. Unlawfully carrying a concealed weapon - unlawful possession of weapons.]

(1) A person commits a class 2 misdemeanor if such person knowingly and unlawfully:

(a) Carries a knife concealed on or about his or her person; or

(b) Carries a firearm concealed on or about his or her person; or

(c) ...

(d) (Deleted by amendment, L. 93, p. 964, ยง 1, effective July 1, 1993.)

(2) It shall not be an offense if the defendant was:

(a) A person in his or her own dwelling or place of business or on property owned or under his or her control at the time of the act of carrying; or

(b) A person in a private automobile or other private means of conveyance who carries a weapon for lawful protection of such person's or another's person or property while traveling; or

18-12-204. Permit contents - validity - carrying requirements.

(1)... [permit stuff]

(2)... [permit stuff]

(3) (a) A person who may lawfully possess a handgun may carry a handgun under the following circumstances without obtaining a permit and the handgun shall not be considered concealed:

(I) The handgun is in the possession of a person who is in a private automobile or in some other private means of conveyance and who carries the handgun for a legal use, including self-defense; or...

Post imported post

Most of the time here in Colorado Springs open carry is more of a curiosity to people than a bother. The only place I have been asked to leave with my gun was a place that sells guns. Go figure.

Hope you enjoy your stay.

Post imported post

Anubis wrote:
    The Denver ban on OC, already noted in this thread, is the only place where OC is illegal in the state. Here in Aurora, the police are apparently gauranteed to hassle anyone who dares. I have seen anecdotal evidence in other threads here that OC is possible without hassle in Colorado Springs, Boulder, and a few other places.
    Out of the all the people who have spoken to me about OC (including a younger guy who asked me about my Ruger today) only three had a problem with it, and two of those were cops who seemed surprised that I had not had any problems with anyone else.

(sorry, I couldn't figure out how to shrink the font to a decent size)
    The drop-down list in the upper left with numbers is the text size. 2 is default.

Post imported post

FogRider wrote:
    Out of the all the people who have spoken to me about OC (including a younger guy who asked me about my Ruger today) only three had a problem with it, and two of those were cops who seemed surprised that I had not had any problems with anyone else.

The drop-down list in the upper left with numbers is the text size. 2 is default.
    Thanks for the tip; I spruced up my earlier post.

Well, sounds like Aurora may not be as bad as I have heard--good news.

Post imported post

Anubis wrote:
    FogRider wrote:

Thanks for the tip; I spruced up my earlier post.

Well, sounds like Aurora may not be as bad as I have heard--good news.
    Well, the cops REALLY had a problem with it. Their concerns about people panicing seem rather unfounded in my experience. See my earlier post: http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum13/4559.html

Post imported post

Are valid out of State CHLs accepted on Colorado or is it like Oregon where no other states pespected?ermits are r

Moderator / Administrator

Post imported post

SetivaSicWood wrote:
    Are valid out of State CHLs accepted on Colorado or is it like Oregon where no other states pespected?ermits are r
    No CHL is needed to OC in Colorado.

Post imported post

Colorado no longer accepts licenses of other states if you do not reside in the state that issued the license.

Post imported post

Immortal_Ben wrote:
    Most of the time here in Colorado Springs open carry is more of a curiosity to people than a bother. The only place I have been asked to leave with my gun was a place that sells guns. Go figure.

Hope you enjoy your stay.
    Just out of curiosity, what place selling guns was it?

Curious in Colorado Springs...

Forrest

Post imported post

Where are you getting your info for Garden of the Gods being off limits? Only place I've heard or read about off limits is Denver, which does anyone have any links to how it is off limits. By that I mean what caused it and what states it now?

I've been in the store on Fountain near Acadamy. I didn't open carry in there but I did concealed. I've never actually seen a gun store that accepted it in any fashion.

Post imported post

The store I was in that requested me to leave with my pistol is Dicks Sporting Goods. The corporation seems very anti-carry. I believe they live up to the name very well. I refuse to shop there since.

The Sports Authority on Academy near the Citadel Mall is very friendly towards open carry, and I have had a discussion with one of the managers about it.

Also, Specialty Sports here in CS is friendly towards OC, but some store policies are insane. Say you want to try a holster for the firearm you are carrying. They want you to clear your weapon there in the middle of the store before you put it in the holster. Thats alawsuit waiting to happen, andthe employees ehre all seem to think they k now more about guns and tactics than Clint Smith or JMB. I dont shop there anymore either.

The Shootin' Den is the place to go for OC friendly, knowledgable folk. They dont have a HUGE selection, but they can get you wantyou need.

Post imported post

BrokenR1 wrote:
    Where are you getting your info for Garden of the Gods being off limits?

It is posted on a big "park rules" sign at the entrance. I don't know about the main entrance, but the one leading in from Manitou Springs is. It is some kind of quasi- private/government easment park, so it isn't exactly public property.

Post imported post

SetivaSicWood wrote:
    Flying into Denver and driving to Colorado springs; as well seeingsthat my wife was raised there, iI amsure she has plently of over side excursions planned too.

I was in Colorado Springs Aug 31st and Sept 1st, 2nd and talked to a Sergeant there about OCing and they Recognize it but don't like it.

You WOULD for sure according to him GET Police attention if and when somebody would call in.

I have his name somewhere in my notes + his ph # give me til tomorrow and I will see what I can do.

Colorado sure is Pretty to me. Could 'maging livin' there but their Gun Laws are worst than Utahs

According to usacarry.com

http://www.usconcealedcarry.com/public/359.cfm

You would not be able to Carry Concealed since they don't recipricate Oregon, which is hard since Denver is Anti Gunto Ocing.

Post imported post

I just found another off limits place in the springs, but I am having trouble determining who made the rule. Pike's Peak North Slope Recreation Area:

http://www.springsgov.com/Page.asp?NavID=398

"Hunting or the possession of firearms for any purpose is not permitted."

As far as what the police say about carrying in unrestricted areas, this is all I hear:

"Blah, blah, blah, blah, we recognise it, blah, blah, blah, blah,blah"

Post imported post

Hmmm, but signs don't carry any weight for the law. Was it Texas that if they have a correctly worded and placed sign it had legal force behind it?

Post imported post

Just thought about it also, kinda funny since to get to Rampart Range you drive through Garden of the Gods.

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

Hi Everyone,

I am in Durango for a ski trip. So far I open carried everywhere the last three days. The most pleasantly surprised I am open carrying in the Diamond Belle saloon, while sitting at the bar for two hours. I listened to a live Blue Grass band and was sitting right in front of them wearing a short sleeve polo shirt and a Glock 17 in a law enforcement holster. I didn't drink alcohol. Since, I swhitched seats several times, and the bar was well lit, one of the band members jokingly told someone in my way to make room for the guy with the pistol.... Another one sitting behind me was talking to his friend saying that is a Glock... Accross the street three buildings just burned down and there were about three patrol cars outside. Nobody panicked and called the cops in to check me out. I open carried at my Doubletree hotel, Dennys, Del Taco, and everywhere I went. The whole thing was a non-event. I am really impressed!!! If you guys visit Durango you'll love it here...

Post imported post

reefteach wrote:
    Colorado no longer accepts licenses of other states if you do not reside in the state that issued the license.
    VERY TRUE.

I had that discussion with a Sargeant Miyakusu in Colorado Springs and I respect the way that he handled it due to the fact that he stated the Fact that I could NOT CCW due to fact that I was from Utah. We hung up and he called back later, apologized, and said that I was within my right to CCW in CO.

I knew this before hand due to fact that I had talked to Agent Kitchen at BCI in CO but just wanted to see Colorado Springs PD's take on it.

They know better now

TJ

Post imported post

reefteach wrote:
    I have OCed in parts of Colorado Springs and Old Colorado City. It is very pro gun, and OC is generally accepted. One snag is at the Garden of the Gods, which has banned guns for some reason. My FL concealed carry license is not good in Colorado anymore because I am a resident of OH, so OC was the only way to go.
    Garden of the Gods is owned by the city of Colorado Springs. The Colorado preemptive law prohibits them from banning firearms where state law would otherwise permit them--particularly with respect to CCW holdersor CC in your car. I've been there and carried--concealed. On top of which, Colorado Springs and El Paso county are as pro-gun as any place in the US. I think you have bad info.
    "For any man who sheds his blood with me this day shall be my brother...And gentlemen now abed shall think themselves accursed, they were not here, and hold their manhoods cheap whilst any speaks who fought with us on Crispin's day." Henry V