Thread: But officers, I know the law....do you?? All at Wal-Mart too

Post imported post

http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=14350

I originally posted this story at silencertalk. Thought it very fitting here.

http://www.knoxnews.com/news/2007/sep/22/gun-owner-receives-apology/

Local VP of large firearms store/range has to inform two officers that he CAN carry openly (by mistake he later says) as he is falsely imprisoned and accosted.

The officer cited his using Ohio state law from his previous LE job while working here in Tennessee.

I've met the man and it is sad to see lawful people get hastled.

Thanks Knoxville Police Department!

"Trevor Putnam, who was stopped while he legally carried his gun inside a Wal-Mart by an officer who was mistaken about the state’s gun permit laws, received an apology from Police Chief Sterling P. Owen IV."

I guess a letter of appology is enough to rectify being falsely imprisoned and accosted.

I'd sue.

Post imported post

This was in this week's Gunweek as well.

I too would have sued. It wasn't that he was mistaken about the law [in TWO states], but that he threatened to falsely arrest the man on made up charges. That needs to be punished SAVAGELY.
    --- Gun control: The theory that 110lb. women have the "right" to fistfight with 210lb. rapists.

Post imported post

Hey Nauss, Good to see another silencertalk.com member over here and another member of the gun shop crew. You handled yourself well, I would carry a copy of that letter around to show the next cop that thinks he knows the law.

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

cato wrote: Thanks, Cato.

Any corrobating info that can give it more credibility than the investigation report issued by Manassas PD after the Tony's incident?

I'm not making a sideways comment. I haven't been following the story as closely as I should.
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

Post imported post

Yeah....nice to see you here.

This kind of thing goes on everyday in our country.

Police are set to a different standard AND set of laws then the public.

Too bad. This is why our country is going down the tubes.

Corruption and no punishment.

Post imported post

Having read this, I feel sickened.

What a sorry example of a person, let alone a police officer.

This guy SHOULD be sued and terminated for being uneducated and ignorant (and acting on his ignorance while on duty)

Post imported post

I disagree with the finding that the officers use of force wasn't excessive. Since the stop was not justified, even touching putnam was unjustified. Doesn't matter how much force was used.
    CZ 75B 9mm, Ruger P94 .40 S&W, Bersa Thunder .380, AR-15 Homebuild

Post imported post

j2l3 wrote:
    I disagree with the finding that the officers use of force wasn't excessive. Since the stop was not justified, even touching putnam was unjustified. Doesn't matter how much force was used.
    Correct. If he will just sue then it might get "worked out". What a jerk this guy is.

Post imported post

"not in plain view (with the) hammer back,”

Gotta LOVE that statement. Just like a Cop trained with the idiot proof Glock. Oh my god, the hammer's back! Being a huge 1911 fan, this just makes me laugh that much more.

Aaron

Post imported post

j2l3 wrote:
    SNIP:
    the stop was not justified
    , touching putnam was unjustified.
    1+
    If you think like a Statist, act like one, or back some, you've given up on freedom and have gone over to the dark side.
    The easiest ex. but probably the most difficult to grasp for gun owners is that fool permission slip so many of you have, especially if you show it off with pride. You should recognize it as an embarrassment, an infringement, a travesty and an affront to a free person.

~Alan Korwin

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

Agreed, there is far too much of this in America today. What to do about it? Once upon a time in America, discussions such as thiswere allowed to logically progress to the next level because they were held in private in someone's shop or store, home or barn. To that extent, open discussion on the internet to a certain degree, actually keeps patriots and those who would do and ensure that others in positions of power, do the right thing, as is their right; in check.

It lulls many intoa"false sense of freedom"and providesinherent built in limits of public postings such as this (based on our fears, etc.)they most certainly depend on and enjoy. (i.e. they're not worried about what they can read...it's what they can't read that frightens them.)

Post imported post

BobCav wrote:
    Agreed, there is far too much of this in America today. What to do about it? Once upon a time in America, discussions such as thiswere allowed to logically progress to the next level because they were held in private in someone's shop or store, home or barn. To that extent, open discussion on the internet to a certain degree, actually keeps patriots and those who would do and ensure that others in positions of power, do the right thing, as is their right; in check.

It lulls many intoa"false sense of freedom"and providesinherent built in limits of public postings such as this (based on our fears, etc.)they most certainly depend on and enjoy. (i.e. they're not worried about what they can read...it's what they can't read that frightens them.)

The Internet was designed to provide dissemination of information without censorship. Remember the old saying?

The Internet treats censorship and routes around it.

The liberty inherent in that conceptualization is still valid, though certain actors have now taken a big hatchet whack to it. I'm speaking of those who actively and capriciously censor speech for their own mis-guided and self-serving needs and goals. Some of the censorious actors delude themselves into thinking that just because they click on the delete post icon that the information goes away. That just because they an get a bunch of bobble-heads to agree with their censorious acts that everying is alright.

Lord Acton said: Power tends to corrupt.

He was right. Even with just a little power to wield, some get corrupted a lot, Bob. Like at THR, Bob....like elsewhere.

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

HankT wrote:
    BobCav wrote:

The Internet was designed to provide dissemination of information without censorship. Remember the old saying?

The Internet treats censorship and routes around it.

The liberty inherent in that conceptualization is still valid, though certain actors have now taken a big hatchet whack to it. I'm speaking of those who actively and capriciously censor speech for their own mis-guided and self-serving needs and goals. Some of the censorious actors delude themselves into thinking that just because they click on the delete post icon that the information goes away. That just because they an get a bunch of bobble-heads to agree with their censorious acts that everying is alright.

Lord Acton said: Power tends to corrupt.

He was right. Even with just a little power to wield, some get corrupted a lot, Bob. Like at THR, Bob....like elsewhere.
    And right on time, there's HankT commenting on my post. How predictable and dull....

Hahahahaha.......

Post imported post

Bigger_Is_Better wrote:

Gotta LOVE that statement. Just like a Cop trained with the idiot proof Glock. Oh my god, the hammer's back! Being a huge 1911 fan, this just makes me laugh that much more.

Aaron
    I've read the same thing in MANY different post on MANY different forums.

I own a Glock but never use it. I carry a HK USP 45 and Beretta 21a (pea shooter I know)

Just like the LEO who can't "secure" your weapon when they have no idea how to use a retention holster like my Blackhawk Serpa II.

Read about THAT too! How sad.:celebrate

Post imported post

It was nice of the Chief to issue a written apology but I think the officer should have been made to issue a personal public apology to him as well. Right in front of Walmart. (Then perhaps have the officer do a TV public awareness bit on the right to open carry with a license in Tennessee.)

Doc

Post imported post

nauss wrote:
    Bigger_Is_Better wrote:

Aaron
    I've read the same thing in MANY different post on MANY different forums.

I own a Glock but never use it. I carry a HK USP 45 and Beretta 21a (pea shooter I know)

Just like the LEO who can't "secure" your weapon when they have no idea how to use a retention holster like my Blackhawk Serpa II.

Read about THAT too! How sad.:celebrate
    I've heard that whole thing about the hammer back on a 1911 too, makes me laugh. Ignorance ofguns and their safe use is rampant it would seem.

Post imported post