• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC in Metropolitan Los Angeles

Hellrazor227

imported post

I hadn't even stumbled upon this thread but i'm glad to know i'm not alone in ocing in Los Angeles county.

ConditionThree

State Pioneer
imported post

Hellrazor227 wrote:
I hadn't even stumbled upon this thread but i'm glad to know i'm not alone in ocing in Los Angeles county.
Looks like LA county has its first OC meet up brewing. You and FTC could compare notes and partner up when you feel the notion to open carry if you aren't too far apart.

FreshTapCoke

imported post

Figured it would be good to get back in the practice of open-carrying again with the dinner this weekend and the repeated reports of freeway shootings in souther California!

Grabbed my S&W60 and voice recorder and headed out the door. Realized how long it had been when it took me a few tries to get the revolver in its holster without looking.

Realized on the way home from my girlfriend's that I was running low on gas. Pulled into a gas station and started filling up. No customers were around, just the attendant who was sweeping.

Gave my windows a quick wipe and got back on the freeway. Got home safely.

Hopefully I'll be able to make some updates while on the road opencarrying this weekend.

FreshTapCoke

imported post

Started open carrying from the dodger stadium area. went and picked up cato and stopped at an enterprise to add him to the list o drivers. there was no rection from the employees although the person handling our transction seemd a little nervous.

jumped on the road and stopped to eat at a fastfood place; no issues ordering or dining in the restaurant. going to jump back on the road now.

FreshTapCoke

imported post

Stopped at an atm to grab some cash before getting to the dinner. There was a man in his car waiting right in front of the atm. Walked right in front of him; he did not try to un me over.

Reached the dinner location and met up with CA Libertarian and hi friends. Walked through the restaurant to check on our table status and were met with some stares. One person in our party overheard someone on the phone with their friend talking about seeing armed men.

We were seated after 11 people showed up and are currently eating. We've been receiving great service!

FreshTapCoke

imported post

Drove back the same night open carrying. Stopped to use the restroom and get some coffee in Merced. Open-carried in front of multiple employees and some teens that were getting a late night snack. Never received a hint of any apprehension from anyone.

Stopped again at the foot of the Grapevine at a gas station to refill. Went inside to use the bathroom and struck up conversation with the attendant who was very friendly. Bought a pack of gum and left.

Came back home after dropping off my friend and girlfriend. It was very much worth the drive.

J.A.G.

imported post

dude, i enjoy reading your posts...it gives me hope for building up the courage to carry in my area... (hollywood blvd, sunset blvd, etc...).

What do you do when you drive several places? lock the gun in the trunk, then when you get out, just go to the trunk and throw it on your hip?

Decoligny

imported post

J.A.G. wrote:
dude, i enjoy reading your posts...it gives me hope for building up the courage to carry in my area... (hollywood blvd, sunset blvd, etc...).

What do you do when you drive several places? lock the gun in the trunk, then when you get out, just go to the trunk and throw it on your hip?

There is no need to lock it in the trunk, just keep in unloaded in the holster.

There is nothing that I have found in the CA Penal Code that makes unloaded open carry in a vehicle illegal. You just have to be careful in planning your route. You can't knowingly go within 1000 feet of school property. The key is in the language of the Penal Code. It says you commit a crime when youcarry a firearm into an area that you know, or reasonably should know, is a school zone. (This does not affect Concealed Carry Permit holders).

Decoligny

imported post

ConditionThree wrote:
Decoligny wrote:
(This does not affect Concealed Carry Permit holders).
What's that? Arethey like those who possess a license to carry concealed weapon?:p

Higher order brain function isa little impairedright now. Currently in a minor fog from pain meds. Every once in a while the exact technical terminology eludes me.

I just started physical therapy (torture) for shoulder surgery I had several months ago. It is helping my range of motion, but during the first session I did confess to shooting both John F. Kennedy and Abraham Lincoln.:cry::cuss::cry:

J.A.G.

imported post

what happens in the event that a cop pulls you over? just making sure the gun is in plane sight? so that it isn't considered concealed in the vehicle?

cato2

imported post

J.A.G. wrote:
what happens in the event that a cop pulls you over? just making sure the gun is in plane sight? so that it isn't considered concealed in the vehicle?
12025's prohibitionincludes carrying concealed on or about ones person and carrying concealed in a vehicle

PC 12025 (f) - firearms carried openly in belt holsters are not considered concealed...

PC 12031 (e) - any peace officer may check any firearm to insure it is not loaded when in a loaded prohibited zone

In "plain view" on the dash or passenger seat isalso not considered concealed. If any part of the pistol or revolverbecomes concealed it is a violation of 12025.

Loneviking

imported post

You know, I've got to hand it too you folks in Kalifornia, you've got some real cojones to be doing what you're doing! I'm a native Californian who escaped to Ohio and then Nevada. The Kalifornia gun laws are such a nightmare to try to figure out that I'm really surprised that some of you folks are trying OC! More power to you and I sure wish you all the best...

J.A.G.

imported post

LeagueOf1607 wrote:
J.A.G. wrote:
12025's prohibition includes carrying concealed on or about ones person and carrying concealed in a vehicle 

PC 12025 (f) - firearms carried openly in belt holsters are not considered concealed...

PC 12031 (e) - any peace officer may check any firearm to insure it is not loaded when in a loaded prohibited zone

In "plain view" on the dash or passenger seat is also not considered concealed.  If any part of the pistol or revolver becomes concealed it is a violation of 12025. 

League, that is OUTSTANDING! thank you for bringing this part of the law to my attention. That clears up a lot. I'm currently organizing to get ready to carry in the more populated areas of Los Angeles... hollywood, west hollywood, beverly hills, santa monica...etc.

cato

imported post

I'm hoping you've read and understand the fliers found elsewhere on the CA forum? There are a lot more codes then just those two mentioned above.

ConditionThree

State Pioneer
imported post

cato wrote:
I'm hoping you've read and understand the fliers found elsewhere on the CA forum? There are a lot more codes then just those two mentioned above.

Yeah- plus 1 on that.

There are likeseven that are hyper-critical to be in compliance with.

12025, 12031, and 626.9 as general rules everywhere in the State of California- and the prohibitions of possession on Postal property, inside public buildings,State, and National Parks. Please, oh please read and understand the laws before going out, because the "pop quiz" may be conducted in the form of a detention conducted by less than understanding law enforcement officers- who may not take kindly to your assertions that what youre doing is legal because the 'interweb' said so. Take time to print one of the flyers and memorize the code and keep it with you.

J.A.G.

imported post

OH I know. I've been reading them and gathering all the necessary info. I don't think I'm ready to do it yet, I have too many un-answered questions. I was just confused about the car thing.