• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Nerves

openryan

State Researcher
imported post

Anyway, for one reason or another I have been doing much more cc than oc over the past 2-3 weeks, I lost quite a bit of weight, so its easier to fit the gun inside the pants now, and I haven't gotten to the store to update the wardrobe, but soon will.

Anyway I have been getting back to my oc routine of the past couple days, and while certainly not "nervous" I found myself much more concerned with how other people reacted the first couple times I went out again, although I know it really doesn't matter and I am legal, it felt like the first time I decided to try it all over again... ha.

Similar feelings?

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
imported post

openryan wrote:
Anyway, for one reason or another I have been doing much more cc than oc over the past 2-3 weeks, I lost quite a bit of weight, so its easier to fit the gun inside the pants now, and I haven't gotten to the store to update the wardrobe, but soon will.

Anyway I have been getting back to my oc routine of the past couple days, and while certainly not "nervous" I found myself much more concerned with how other people reacted the first couple times I went out again, although I know it really doesn't matter and I am legal, it felt like the first time I decided to try it all over again... ha.

Similar feelings?
Yes.

I have only been OC'ing since this past July. I am still cognizant of where I am going (my intended travels) and who I may be around. Call it nerves or just being self-conscious or maybe a bit of both. I try not to appear this way and I think I succeed in doing so, but there are times..

I still CC of course, but in the warm months, OC'ing is much more comfortable. Anyway, OC'ing is still quite new to me and breaking through that barrier took some doing. It was this site and the experiences of others in my area that convinced me to give it a try.

Demarest

imported post

Well I don't think he was talking about the heightened awareness. That much is a good thing. I think he meant the potential nervousness WHILE carrying openly. Which is truly unfortunate. Only the bad guys should ever have to feel like bad guys. I remember that nervousness. But, as has already been pointed out, the more you open carry, the less nervous you get about it. It's then, when we are comfortable, that we can better answer question others might have and otherwise demonstrate that good guys are armed too and that's okay.

Maybe all of us open carrying together will help shift the climate so that newer open carriers don't have to feel that nervousness or at least not as much.

openryan

State Researcher
imported post

Demarest wrote:
Well I don't think he was talking about the heightened awareness. That much is a good thing. I think he meant the potential nervousness WHILE carrying openly. Which is truly unfortunate. Only the bad guys should ever have to feel like bad guys. I remember that nervousness. But, as has already been pointed out, the more you open carry, the less nervous you get about it. It's then, when we are comfortable, that we can better answer question others might have and otherwise demonstrate that good guys are armed too and that's okay.

Maybe all of us open carrying together will help shift the climate so that newer open carriers don't have to feel that nervousness or at least not as much.
Well said...

I am always aware, but you are right in pointing out why I was nervous, basically the reaction of other people. I never want a police encounter, but have had a couple, and it is always hard to answer questions when you nervous, and go on the defensive.

I have had some questions where I was able to really help the people understand oc, and have converted a few, however when I first started oc'ing, like most I was nervous, and did not know how quite to answer question, I feel if confronted I could still answer them just the same, but was worried about those 'man with a gun' calls. NOT FUN.

Even though I know I am lawful, it's not fun being made out to be a criminal in front of your peers, but it is a price I am willing to take for the protection of myself and loved ones.

cloudcroft

Campaign Veteran
El Paso, TX (formerly Colorado Springs, CO)
imported post

Demarest,

In my case, it's not the bad guys or other people's reactionsthat bother me about OC-ing...it's the cops.

People shouldn't have to bemore worried about thegood guys (cops) than the bad guys, even when LEGALLY OC-ing!

Now that truly is "unfortunate."

-- John D.

Demarest

imported post

You don't have to tell me. I've had to suck on full auto M16 for the cause. Just like the act of carrying itself, the interactions with police get less tense as well.

openryan

State Researcher
imported post

Demarest wrote:
You don't have to tell me. I've had to suck on full auto M16 for the cause. Just like the act of carrying itself, the interactions with police get less tense as well.
Probably doesn't leave a good aftertaste... :p

Legba

imported post

No, it doesn't. I don't know if I'll ever be able to look at a uniform without extreme hostility ever again. I am ashamed to admit that I laughed when I found out that it was a cop that perpetrated the most recent shooting spree in Wisconsin. I was worried that it would hurt my case for a minute. All this kind of shit leaves everyone degraded.

-ljp

Demarest

imported post

It's like anything else: That which doesn't kill you [provides you with the opportunity to] makes you stronger. It was a learning experience. For everybody. We all got to play what if and decide for ourselves how we'd act in the situation that otherwise we'd never have to consider might be possible. It'll taste better when the guilty parties are brought to justice ;) So ask me again in some 4-5 years :(

massltca

imported post

Legba wrote:
No, it doesn't. I don't know if I'll ever be able to look at a uniform without extreme hostility ever again. I am ashamed to admit that I laughed when I found out that it was a cop that perpetrated the most recent shooting spree in Wisconsin. I was worried that it would hurt my case for a minute. All this kind of shit leaves everyone degraded.

-ljp
I can't look at cops the same since they confiscated firearms after Katrina in New Orleans. Or when some cops from that department beat a guy almost to death and assaulted the news crew who filmed it. I gotta say I kinda chuckled a little about this recent shooting spree in Wisconsin even though there's nothing funny about it.

cloudcroft

Campaign Veteran
El Paso, TX (formerly Colorado Springs, CO)
imported post

On the other hand, you'll ALSOhave decent cops just doing their jobs -- yes, obeying orders -- and getting shot by citizens for trying to take their guns away...in other words, people will be "shooting the messengers."

In that case, it's unfortunate that the REAL perps -- the cowardly anti-gun/anti-RKBA liberal polticians/police chiefs who GAVE the orders -- are safe at home or in their offices.

But isn't that how it always is...

-- John D.

Demarest

imported post

"Just doing their job" includes upholding the Constitution of the United States. If they come to take our guns, they're no longer police, but criminals commiting traitorous acts under color of law. If my boss told me to commit a crime, I'd tell him to go fly a kite.

Bravo_Sierra

imported post

If you're nervous when OCing, you probably haven't convinced yourself that you really aren't doing anything wrong. Just live knowing that you are an honest, law abiding citizen and you'll be fine. Be Courteous, polite, and treat people as you would like to be treated.

vmathis12019

State Researcher
imported post

From the perspective of someone who was arrested for OC and charged with a crime. Fortunately for me, after four months of heartache and grief, the charges were dropped, and my pistol was returned. However, I have become much more nervous about OCing around these parts. It actually scares the hell out of me, and I can only hope that it passes with time. I've messed around the house while OCing pretty often since September, but I still haven't worked up the nerve to go into any place that could be considered "private property." Even without a no guns sign on the door, it seems that one can be arrested in Alabama for OCing with or without a CWP in any place of business, if the owner/employees wish to have it done.

It's really a shame to think how the joy of OC has left me. I used to enjoy it a lot because I got a lot of nice people asking me questions about it and I passed along some good information. Now, however, I just haven't worked up the nerve yet...

Demarest

imported post

@vmathis: My loss started with almost being killed, officially lasted a year, and started a chain reaction that has essentially led to my being unemployed ever since, which has wrecked my credit history, and even put a blemish on my residency history.

A lot of people said that what happened to me is the perfect example of why not to open carry. They, along with you, have got it backwards; That's the reason TO open carry. If you allow the joy to leave you, you've let tyrannts illegally use their force against you under color of law. The whole reason I carry at all is because I've made the decision for myself that I will NOT be a victim.

FogRider

imported post

Bravo_Sierra wrote:
If you're nervous when OCing, you probably haven't convinced yourself that you really aren't doing anything wrong. Just live knowing that you are an honest, law abiding citizen and you'll be fine. Be Courteous, polite, and treat people as you would like to be treated.

For me it wasn't that I didn't have myself convinced, it was because I knew I would eventually have to convince someone else I am an honest, law abiding citizen.

vmathis12019

State Researcher
imported post

I know what you mean Demarest. I hate that I don't enjoy OCing anymore, and I totally have a feeling of defeat in me by being scared to do it. I am pushing the barrier more and more, but I don't know if it'll ever make it back to the way it was before. AFter all, it doesn't matter who you are or how strongly you believe in your convictions. When you are arrested by 10 men at gunpoint, humiliated on television and the newspaper, have your reputation ruined, and are forced to spending four months explaining to every person you see why you were doing what you were doing and how it was legal, it's a very humbling experience.

The important thing, I keep telling myself, is that I have the CWP and carry all the time anyway. After all, the first rule is always carry. It really seems like I'm the only one in this part of the state pushing this OC thing anyway, and it's pretty hard standing up alone against everyone else.

vmathis12019

State Researcher
imported post

Demarest wrote:
Sounds like you have a knockdown lawsuit. That should bring a smile to anybody.
Well, as is standard procedure in legal affairs, I had to sign an agreement that said I wouldn't sue the city or the PD that arrested me. However, the retailer that implemented the whole ordeal (take a wild guess which one it was...) is still very much on the chopping block. I have to talk to my lawyer in the next few days and see where we are with that, but there is still the possibility that they get sued for false arrest.

kurtmax_0

imported post

I live in Alabama as well, and the police do suppress OC pretty well. I OC during the summer when I'm out jogging in the morning, but it's a smaller town with not many people.

I don't OC as much where I live now (college town, and the cops are all mall ninja types that don't ever see real crime. They would love to screw me over...). About all I do is take out the trash (I wear my pistol even at home, and it's easier to just leave it in the holster) and other such things. In addition, I really don't want many people at my apartment complex to know I have guns for theft reasons....

The main limitation for me is having no Pistol Permit. I can't drive anywhere without unloading and locking my pistol in a trunk. The sheriff is violating the law by not issuing me a permit until I turn 21 (age is 18 in AL), and trying to get a writ of mandamus would take longer than just waiting 'till I'm 21....