• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Man killed during argument at gas station - Puyallup

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

joshmmm wrote:
HankT wrote:
Actually, I think that most, not all,people have some difficulty in reading HankT's Postualate of Civilian Self-Defense....

For example, it doesn't say that a 145 lb. man shouldn't shoot a 325 lb. unarmed but crazed professional wrestler who is attacking him with discernible intent to cause death or severe bodily harm....

It just says that... well, here it is again:

It is a bad strategy to shoot an unarmed person.

Hmm, nowhere in there does this simple but powerful conceptualization does it say that a 145 lb. man shouldn't shoot a 325 lb. unarmed but crazed professional wrestler who is attacking him....

I blame our educational system. It has failed us in so many ways...

Postulates can be one of two things. 1. A claim which is always true and can't be false. 2. A place where you start from to continue a hypothetical because it is not an absolute, but a starting place...

Merriam Webster defines postulate as:

to assume or claim as true, existent, or necessary : depend upon or start from the postulate of b : to assume as a postulate or axiom (as in logic or mathematics)

Yah, now we're finally making some progress...

Keep going.

thebastidge

2519 E Fourth Plain Blvd, Vancouver Washington, US
imported post

For those who made comments based upon "assumptions" from "the way the article was written":

Just remember that if it is not stated asa fact, you can't assume it to be the case, and sometimes even then. Journalists have assumptions and biases, conscious and unconscious. Telling the "right story" is more important to many of them than "telling the story right."

Ajetpilot

imported post

Update. The entire incident was caught on the security camera. The shooter has been released. Reports have been turned over to the Pierce County prosecutor who will decide if any charges will be filed. Here is the latest article.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

casullshooter wrote:
That is what you said in Durham , Mr. HankT Nifong.........Condem first, facts later if ever.

You're being silly. This isn't about Nifong. This isn't even about condemning.

It's simply a bad strategy to shoot an unarmed man.

Simple.

joshmmm

imported post

HankT wrote:
casullshooter wrote:
That is what you said in Durham , Mr. HankT Nifong.........Condem first, facts later if ever.

You're being silly. This isn't about Nifong. This isn't even about condemning.

It's simply a bad strategy to shoot an unarmed man.

Simple.

I really thought we had made some progress and proved that your postulate is WRONG.

In this case, the guy saved his life and hasn't been charged. Seems to me like he used a pretty damned good strategy.

vinnie

imported post

"It's simply a bad strategy to shoot an unarmed man."

I agree. It IS bad strategy. Leaves you too open to other attacks(legal types etc.)

But sometimes bad strategy is all you have got to work with.

Might as well delurk with a bang.

Blood4blood

imported post

I`am the Uncle of the man who was murdered at the Shell Gastation these are the facts of the case. 1) The shooter started the argument with the victim.2) The Puyallup police messed up on the investigation. They never tested the shooter for alcohol or drugs in his system. They never tooka powder residue test from the shooter to determine the real shooter. And they never question all the witnesses. 3)there are at this time 3 witnesses, 2 saw the hole thing from start to finish 1 saw it all up to about 2 before the shooting. The 2 witnesses said " the twomales in the car sat and waited for the victim to come outof the gas station." Now this iscoming fromwitness who saw and heard the whole thing. 4)there was no cuts and scrapes on the victims hands. The shooter clames that the victim broke the window. 5) therewere 3 shots, not 2. 6) And the Puyallup Police are not releasing any of the victims clothing , and jewelry. They arenot releasing the police report or the name of the shooter. This case from start to finish was screwed-up. and the Puyallup Police are trying to close the case as quick as they can. If the shooter thought his life was being threatened then why didn`t the two drive away , why didn`t they roll up the window. They were in a car with a gun and the victim was unarmed he had no weapon and the shooter believed his life was being threatened? And most of the Puyallup Police did not and will not let the parents of the victim or the News view the tapes of the MURDER. So there are a lot of questions that are not answered. Why would the Puyallup Police not help give the parents and family closer. If everything that the Puyallup Police say is true then why is everything so hush hush?

thebastidge

2519 E Fourth Plain Blvd, Vancouver Washington, US
imported post

If you've got a person who says he shot the perp, regardless of whether it was self defense or not, why would you need to test his clothes for powder residue? He admits he pulled the trigger. Why would you test the dead guy's clothes for powder residue? He was obviously shot. Not like the cause of death was in question and can only be resolved by chemical analysis.

Sounds like someone watches too much CSI without really understanding much.

The police have every incentive to arrest someone for an open-and-close case. Very little incentive to let someone go even if the shooting was justified.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

casullshooter wrote:
No condemnation is intended or stated. The postulate has no condemnatory language in it. Please do read it again. It's actually pretty simple (as a lot of great postulates are).

Sitrep

imported post

All things and people being equal, it is a bad strategy to shoot an unarmed person.

As long as the first part is true, then the second part holds true. If the first part is false, so is the second part.

TechnoWeenie

imported post

Blood4blood wrote:
I`am the Uncle of the man who was murdered at the Shell Gastation these are the facts of the case. 1) The shooter started the argument with the victim.                   2) The Puyallup police messed up on the investigation. They never tested the shooter for alcohol or drugs in his system. They never took a powder residue test from the shooter to determine  the real shooter. And they never question all the witnesses. 3)there are at this time 3 witnesses, 2 saw the hole thing from start to finish 1 saw it all up to about 2 before the shooting. The 2 witnesses said " the two males in the car sat and waited for the victim to come out of the gas station." Now this is coming from witness who saw and heard the whole thing. 4) there was no cuts and scrapes on the victims hands. The shooter clames that the victim broke the window.  5) there were 3 shots, not 2. 6) And the Puyallup Police are not releasing any of the victims clothing , and jewelry. They are not releasing the police report or the name of the shooter. This case from start to finish was screwed-up. and the Puyallup Police are trying to close the case as quick as they can. If the shooter thought his life was being threatened then why didn`t the two drive away , why didn`t they roll up the window. They were in a car with a gun and the victim was unarmed he had no weapon and the shooter believed his life was being threatened? And most of the Puyallup Police did not and will not let the parents of the victim or the News view the tapes of the MURDER. So there are a lot of questions that are not answered. Why would the Puyallup Police not help give the parents and family closer. If everything that the Puyallup Police say is true then why is everything so hush hush?

Were you there?

Was the 'victim' a good boy who'd never been in any trouble? An 'honor roll student' despite his D average and more missed days/periods than attended ones?

The police wouldn't release a 'nobody' without charges after a shooting if they thought he had actually shot without justification, ESPECIALLY since they have videotape AND witness statements, which apparently match.

Blood

imported post

Well, frist-off I do not watch CSI. In a shooting or murder investigation it is prudent to determine the shooter,(even if someone amitts too doing so.) This is called "STANDERED PROCEDURE" Maybe you should watch C.S.I.

Blood

imported post

I guess you didn`t read the part were I typed " 2 wittness saw the whole thing from start to finish, and both said the two in the car started a argument with the victim from the car and then when he came up to car is when he shot 3 times.

joshmmm

imported post

Blood wrote:
I guess you didn`t read the part were I typed " 2 wittness saw the whole thing from start to finish, and both said the two in the car started a argument with the victim from the car and then when he came up to car is when he shot 3 times.

The problem is that you can't actually articulate what you are saying!!!

Who is the victim? Are you referring to the dead guy or the guy who was forced to shoot the attacker?

Try using standard punctuation, less pronouns, and articulating the point you are trying to make... you are wasting everyone's time trying to decipher your gibberish.