• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Black Powder Firearms...

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

Ok, so I've never owned, and therefore know very little about muzzle loaders. From what little I've been able to figure out, they are, at times, legally differentiated from other firearms (often by simply NOT being mentioned). I'm currently under the impression that muzzle loaders are NOT restricted items, and can therefore be purchased and owned by those who cannot necessarily own other types of firearms (i.e. convicted felons). Does anyone have any informative and definitive answers to where and when muzzle loaders differ from "normal" firearms?

Basic Guy

imported post

Yup, by federal law black powder rifles, pistols, and shotguns are not firearms. In fact a lot of original and even replica guns - if originally designed before 1889 (IIRC) are categorized the same.

However, I believe that if such a gunare designed and built touse modern, smokeless power ammo (like most modern SAA clones) they are classified as modern firearms.

And as for the felon question - I believe that most black powder cartridge guns are considered 'bad'. I'm not sure if/where this is in writting or if there is just some assumed 'intent' for a felon to possess these.

I once saw a website where only BP guns were sold - and it had a long disclaimer on this 'felon' point. It doesn't apply to me so I didn't note the details.

I used to own a number of these muzzle loading revolvers back before I was old enough to own modern ones. And nope, This wasn't so long ago that they were all that was available anyway.

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

Well I am acquainted with someone whom happens to be a felon, and apparently he has been told that he can own black powder weapons. The implication was having a rifle for deer hunting, but a "rifle" wasn't specificied. If this is the case, then he should be able to use a muzzle loader shotgun, and could theoretically be in legal possession of a black powder revolver...

Now this guy wasn't convinced of a violent crime, and has always cared about others (he got in trouble trying to take the easy way, and got caught..). What I think is funny is that they have these laws preventing (potentially violent) felons from owning firearms...but they can walk into wal-mart and buy a black powder weapon, legally, with no issue?

I'd like to get as much info as I can to help him out, so he knows what he can and can't have. I'm also curious if there are any situations where a modern "firearm" would be illegal to carry, but one could LEGALLY carry a black powder revolver. And before anyone starts up, I'm not feelin like getting myself arrested...I'm just curious.

Basic Guy

imported post

DreQo,

I did some surfing and federal law does not appear to prohibit this - however a number of states do.

Some states do not distinguish between modern firearms and black powder or primitive firearms as far as ownership and possession. Some states have their own laws against felons possessing firearms. If the state where you live falls into both categories it would be against state law for a felon to possess any type of gun.

Some states also prohibit felons from possessing lethal weapons.

Ford Truck

Franklin Township, DeKalb County, Indiana, USA
imported post

I know some convicted felons who legally possess muzzle loaders either for sport or self defense. The laws vary from state to state. I also have a friend who is not a convicted felon & hecut a Remington style .44 cap & ball revolver down to 4" for a carry gun. I borrowed it for a couple months to see how it worked for me. It carried & concealed about the same as my 4" Model 10. I like it.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Ford Truck wrote:
I know some convicted felons who legally possess muzzle loaders either for sport or self defense. The laws vary from state to state. I also have a friend who is not a convicted felon & hecut a Remington style .44 cap & ball revolver down to 4" for a carry gun. I borrowed it for a couple months to see how it worked for me. It carried & concealed about the same as my 4" Model 10. I like it.

Nothing like having your own defensive firearm and personal smoke-screen generator all in one. :)

I read in one of the gun magazines this month that the Ruger Old Army.44 had ballistics similar to .38 Special +P.