• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Is the Va Beach Convention Center owned by the city?

glocknroll

imported post

HankT wrote:
glocknroll wrote:
HankT wrote:
glocknroll wrote:

If you rent public property for a function in Hampton, you're renting it from me, the taxpayer. I'll be damned if I'll be denied my rights on my property.

Weren't you the chap that declined to OC at the Hampton show?

Something about exercising your right was too aggravating or invonvenient or something...

Seems simple enough. Just show up and OC. If they don't like it, tough.
I guess you missed the part about compromise, Hank. If there are to continue to be gun shows, there must be insurers to insure them.

If I have to carry concealed to keep the insurers providing insurance so that we can continue to have gun shows, then I will.

I haven't been denied my rights in any way. Still carrying my firearm, I have simply chosen to carry it concealed based on the facts at my disposal and what I consider to be my best interest.

The RKBA also includes concealed carry. Isn't it all about freedom of choice?

I guess you missed the part about Compromise being bad. Remember, that's the message of Kelly J: No Compromises!

You are indeed letting theanti-2A gun show operators and rapacious insurance companiesdeny you your God-given rights. To the detriment, I might add, of all legal OCers in VA.

A right unexercised is a right lost! Be strong!
If this were a situation of being denied my 2nd amendment rights by a governmental entity, I would be in complete agreement with you.

Unfortunately, insurance companies are private corporations, concerned with their particular form of gambling. The house always wins.

If the insurance companies were to insist on installing metal detectors, or conducting pat down searches of those entering, my attitude toward this intrusion would change completely.

Forgive me my weakness, Hank. We can't all be as strong, bold, and daring as you.

glocknroll

imported post

W.E.G. wrote:
KBCraig wrote:
the law is clear: if a property is owned by a government, 30.06 cannot be enforced. The lessee has no rights that are unavailable to the lessor, because the lessor cannot transfer rights he does not have. "Lessor", being a government agency in this case, cannot forbid licensed concealed carry, and sublessees cannot add restrictions unavailable to the lessor.

That is a very interesting observation.

What happens if the promoter refuses to sell a ticket to somebody who "just happens to be" open-carrying. For the purpose of this discussion, we will say that the promoter never says a word about the gun. He just simply refuses to sell a ticket for admission.

In this case, what is your recourse? Mind you, I'm not inviting discussion of what body cavity you can hide your B.U.G. in for the purpose of sneaking a gun past the ticket-seller.

If the promoter were to refuse me entrance, after I had chosen to OC in a municipal building, then I would call the police. I believe, based on previous cases (at least in Hampton), that the police would, for once, insist that I be allowed to enter. If not, then I would be suing the promoter for attempting to deny me my constitutional rights.

What are you going to do next time you are denied entry onto an airplane because you are OC'ing?

Fight the good fight. Be strong. Never compromise. I'll donate to your canteen fund, just let me know what federal prison to send it to.