• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Hearing on Campus Safety in ANNANDALE

IanB

imported post

7-8:30PM Tuesday, October 9 at Northern Virginia Community College's Annandale
Campus at the Ernst Center, in the Forum

I'm going to try and videotape this meeting. I don't think they can stop me, it's on public property. I also plan to give comments concerning which keeps me safer - a concealed handgun, or an email alert system.

http://vahighered.com/2007/10/04/help-vccs-make-safer-campuses/

Mr. Y

Super Secret Squirrel Bunker, Virginia, USA
imported post

My bet is that there will be "rules" set up that will ensure nobody has a gun, and that any input provided to the campus safety meeting suggesting that defending yourself is a better alternative to "dial 911 & pray before dying" will be dismissed out of hand in the same fashion as the sham massengil panel.

VCDL President

Centurion
imported post

Mr. Y wrote:
My bet is that there will be "rules" set up that will ensure nobody has a gun, and that any input provided to the campus safety meeting suggesting that defending yourself is a better alternative to "dial 911 & pray before dying" will be dismissed out of hand in the same fashion as the sham massengil panel.
It's still better we have our voices heard.

IanB

imported post

Map of Annandale campus here (pdf)

The event is in bld CE on the map.

Parking IS NOT free. So as to not enrich the coffers of the school I will park off campus and walk to the event. If you DO park in the parking garage, take heart that if you are mugged or raped thereisone Emergency ‘Blue Light’ Call Box per level, scream into the microphone that you are dying and help will be dispatched from the nearest hospital, which is 8 minutes away under ideal traffic conditions.

Visitor Parking

There is no free parking on the Annandale Campus except during grace periods just prior to the beginning of the semester. All visitors may park for $1.00 per hour at our parking meters (limited to 1 hour only) on Lake Drive, or in the “Visitor’s” section of our new parking garage. This entrance is off of Center Drive, at the front of the “B” student lots in the back of the school.

The Annandale Parking Garage (operating hours 7:00 am - 11:00 pm) provides the campus 825 spaces for vehicle parking. Handicap accessible spaces are located on each of the parking levels.

The Garage is for Permit Parking (Faculty, Staff and Students) and Pay Parking (visitors and those without permits).

• Permit Parking is open to those with a valid NVCC Parking Permit and a valid NOVACard ID. Permit parking is available when the campus is open and the NOVACard ID must be used to open the gate to enter and exit.
  • Pay Parking is open Monday through Saturday 7:00 am - 11:00 pm each day. The cost is $1.00 per hour (or any portion of an hour). - CASH ONLY - entrance to Pay Parking is via machine issued ticket, push button, take ticket, gate opens – pay booth operator upon exit).
Along with the cost of operating and maintaining all Northern Virginia Community College parking facilities, the parking structure cost is paid by the hourly charges and the sale of permits.

There are two elevators and two corner stairwells within the garage – also pedestrian exits to paved walkways leading to the campus. Each level has Emergency ‘Blue Light’ Call Boxes - push button – light flashes – call automatically goes to police. The garage is not open to motorcycles (for safety reasons).

If you are coming to campus to attend an event in the Cultural Center you should check with your sponsoring organization to see if arrangements have been made for pre-paid parking, You may call 323-3131 for further details. If parking fees have been prepaid you will be directed to the appropriate lot for free parking.

VApatriot

imported post

I think I might be able to make it over their. And, I do not believe that there is any legitimate way they can keep you from either open or concealed carrying. It appears to bea meeting to which there is an open invitation to the public, so they shouldn't be able deny you entrance or charge you with trespassing for not leaving. The only real worry would be if you are student or faculty member; then you might (likely) be fired or academically punished.

LEO 229

imported post

unrequited wrote:
Check PM naked if you can I'm thinking about going and want to know if you want to meet up.

Did I see you on the news tonight holding the mic? :D

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Good Job, unrequited!

Wish I could have made it. This particular news report sure made it clear that no matter what the public thinks, the panels would prefer to use computers to do their work. If this reporter accurately gauged prevailing sentiment, it would appear this panel is just as receptive as the VT panel.

I was pleased to note this particular report didn't have any "Oh, no, these kids would scare me" interviews.

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

Mr. Y wrote:
I doubt it - several speakers annoucned at the VT Panel meetings ON CAMPUS at VT that they were carrying - no problem. After all, it is legal!

IanB

imported post

Class did not appear to be in session. The parking lot was empty, no students around. The garage was closed and a sign said parking in the student lot was free.

Unrequited OC'd to the meeting, I CC'd. Bruce Jackson was there as well as several other VCDL members. Most citizens seemed to be in favor of allowing (concealed) guns on campus. The moderator wanted to steer everyone away from talking about guns, saying it had been covered extensively already. The panel staff was strangely quiet all night, asking perhaps one or two questions. I got the feeling they had their minds made up on the issue and the panel was simply "window dressing" to give the appearance they were considering all aspects. Also, this panel was not simply about guns on campus, the issue was much broader. They wanted input on campus safety issues in general, to include lighting on campus, communication in emergencies, and prevention of crime. They seemedwilling to throw massive amounts of money at the issue of providing security/safety while ignoring the simplest and cheapest prevention solution, concealed carry.

Mr. Y

Super Secret Squirrel Bunker, Virginia, USA
imported post

Yourpost indicates at least a little surprise naked...

Remember the mindset of government is the same as that of any form of life - it's prime goal is self preservation. YOU having the ability to think and do for yourself does not fit into the clean cut model of government control. Of course they're going to throw money at the problem because taking money (and freedom) from us helps sustain THEM. Think of it this way:

YOU, Nakedshoplifter want to control as many aspects of your life as Nakedshoplifter as possible & practical. Mr. Y would wager money that you would none too much appreciate me, or anyone else telling you how to conduct your affairs. And vice versa. However, it is the governments sole function totell you exactly how to conduct your affairs, when you can do it and under what restrictions the government chooses to allow. That may not be the ideal upon which the government was founded, but that is what it has become.

Most people are not self sufficient, or even anywhere close to it in any aspect of their lives. I would postulate that an overwhelming majority of the posters here could act most of their lives without help from the government or interaction with it other than to pay taxes, ideally.We're mostly "Doers" not "talkers" or "thinkers". Our first reaction to a problem is along the lines of "let's get this damn thing fixed", rather than"Who can I call to fix this for me" (generally speaking).

Understanding this government "mentality" is key to understanding the nature of the enemy we're faced with.

VApatriot

imported post

There were more NOVA cops there then I ever saw anywherein my two years of attending classes there. The way they came in and positioned themselves around the perimeter of the room was all very unsubtle and unnecessary.

IanB

imported post

I can upload the raw video, but it won't be finished product. If I start uploading it now google should have it online by morning.

EDIT: I'm going to wait and upload the finished product. I only added some personal commentary at the beginning of the video, it's encoding right now, will start uploading it in the morning and the video will be online before evening.