Results 1 to 22 of 22

Thread: LEO without a clue how to do his job

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    , Colorado, USA
    Posts
    11

    Post imported post

    Colorado Springs

    A few days ago, I took my fiancee and her 5 year old daughter to a local Safeway grocery store. This store is only about 4 blocks from our apartment,so I go there often to do some quick shopping. I rarely put my concealed carry permit to use anymore, and thusly I was OC.

    Exiting my parked vehicle, I closed my door and noted a vehicle pull into an adjacent spot, front of the car facing the front of mine. A well dressed fellow began exiting his vehicle. As I rounded the back of my car to open the doors for my ladies, I heard a voice ask "What department are you with?" I had my fiance's door open, but blocked her from getting out as I answered the gentleman.

    Me: Im not.

    Him: You have a weapon.

    Me: Yes, I do.

    I kept attempting to help my fiancee exit our car after each answer, but decided to complete the exchange with her in the car.

    Him: Why do you have a gun?

    Me: Because its my right to.

    Him: You cant do that.

    Me: Yes I can.

    Him: No you cant.

    Me: Yes, I really can.

    I then gave my fiancee my hand and helped her out of the car. As I stepped back to open the rear door of my car I hear

    "PUT YOUR HANDS WHERE I CAN SEE THEM."

    I looked up at the fellow and he had his right hand hovering around his open suit jacket, left hand up in a defensive posture (I assume he was preparing to repel an attack from some enemy I couldnt see), and was backing to the rear of his car, glancing into his open trunk.

    Having 8 years of LEO experience under my belt, I recognize this mans actions as those of an officer of the law. HOWEVER.... he never identified himself to me, so this was my reaction.

    I looked at him in a quizzical way for a few seconds, shook my head in an exasperated manner, andhelped up my soon to be step-daughter from the car. We proceeded to head to the entrance of the store, and I glanced back at the man to see him sitting in his front seat, police radio in hand. I could hear him calling for back-up, and stating that there was a "man with a gun". He LITERALLY said "man with a gun".

    We entered the store and proceeded to conduct our business at the customer service counter, then began our grocery shopping. After about 10 minutes, I knew why nobody ever came in to relieve me of my firearm. My fiancee asked when the cops were coming for me and I told her "They arent." Finally, the man from outside walked past us brusquely babbling angrily about people being able to do whatever they wanted to do with guns in this town, and about the gun laws changing all the time.

    Later in the store I asked him if I could give him some friendly advise. He pointed a finger up at me and said "Watch what you say, now. Watch it."

    Moron.

    ANYWAY, I said: "Next time you want to issue police commands to a citizen, you may want to identify yourself as a peace officer, that way you dont get ignored, and end up looking like an idiot.

    Him: (Angrily still) "I will keep that in mind at my next review."

    He then stomped away.

    My fiancee asked why I didnt get his badge number and report his abusive behavior. I told her that I thought it was funny. She asked what was so funny.

    Me: Its funny because now everyone that is on duty right now, knows that guy is an idiot, and called for back-up against a law abiding citizen."

  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    48

    Post imported post

    Immortal_Ben wrote:
    Me: Its funny because now everyone that is on duty right now, knows that guy is an idiot, and called for back-up against a law abiding citizen."
    lol, along with everyone else thats got a scanner too, and the off duty ones will prolly hear about it soon enough and this guy's credibility just got flushed.

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Centennial, Colorado, USA
    Posts
    1,412

    Post imported post

    That would be funnier if it wasn't so close to home.

  4. #4
    State Researcher
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Stanislaus County, California, USA
    Posts
    2,586

    Post imported post

    Very well played.
    Participant in the Free State Project - "Liberty in Our Lifetime" - www.freestateproject.org
    Supporter of the CalGuns Foundation - http://www.calgunsfoundation.org/
    Supporter of the Madison Society - www.madison-society.org


    Don't Tread On Me.

  5. #5
    State Researcher
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    340

    Post imported post

    I'm holding my sides man... SOOO riotously funny. You handled it SOOO well. Calm, collected, witful. Nice job.
    If the LEO isn't complimenting you on carrying that's the way an encounter should go!
    (I'd still consider a formal complaint for the record.)

  6. #6
    State Researcher
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    340

    Post imported post

    Sorry for the second post, but I couldn't help but think of this tragic alternate scenario that isn't that far-fetched:

    he displays his gun (hasn't drawn yet, no badge) after telling you to keep your hands visible, you sense a threat to yourself and your family and draw on him to the ready because you see an agressive man with a gun about to harm your family, which in turn means he draws and you blow him away. Now, you've shot a cop... All cause he's a STUPID cop (not cause he didn't know the law, but because he didn't IDENTIFY himself as a LEO). He's not only an idiot, but potentially dangerous to those civilians around him as well as his fellow LEOs.

  7. #7
    Regular Member reefteach's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio, USA
    Posts
    511

    Post imported post

    I am SHOCKED that this happened in Colorado Springs. My best guess is that he just moved there from Denver. I wonder if he even got so much as a squad car dispatched.

    You totally skipped the whole "Am I being detained? Am I free to go?" by simply leaving

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Kirkland, Washington, USA
    Posts
    425

    Post imported post

    Please, please, please file a FOIA request to get the dispatch logs for his call. I'm sure everyone here would love to hear what the people on the other end of the radio had to say about his request for "backup".

  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Kirkland, Washington, USA
    Posts
    425

    Post imported post

    IdahoCorsair wrote:
    he displays his gun (hasn't drawn yet, no badge) after telling you to keep your hands visible, you sense a threat to yourself and your family and draw on him to the ready because you see an agressive man with a gun about to harm your family, which in turn means he draws and you blow him away.
    This guy is very lucky that you didn't see him as more of a threat. How good would that look for the department?

    "Off duty officer shot after threatening law abiding citizen".

  10. #10
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Centennial, Colorado, USA
    Posts
    1,412

    Post imported post

    Cue-Ball wrote:
    This guy is very lucky that you didn't see him as more of a threat. How good would that look for the department?

    "Off duty officer shot after threatening law abiding citizen".
    This is Colorado

    "Police mourn the loss of a comrade after an officer is brutally gunned down"

  11. #11
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Hampton, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    428

    Post imported post

    FogRider wrote:
    Cue-Ball wrote:
    This guy is very lucky that you didn't see him as more of a threat. How good would that look for the department?

    "Off duty officer shot after threatening law abiding citizen".
    This is Colorado

    "Police mourn the loss of a comrade after an officer is brutally gunned down"
    I think you would get that reaction anywhere. If you have to shoot a cop, it better be because he was on a rampage like the one in Wisconsin, or it's going to get real ugly for you.

  12. #12
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    , Colorado, USA
    Posts
    11

    Post imported post

    The scenario of him presenting his weapon and me responding quickly and violently did run through my mind. However, this guy was no rookie and I would be willing to bet that he is some sort of detective. I would have been amazed to see him go for his gun, but I would have had no problem defending myself from a deadly threat.

    I cant imagine that he has ever had someone ignore him like I did. I did also consider getting his badge number to make a complaint, but he pretty much made a fool of himself, and his superiors know it.

    Also, a couple of days before THIS happened, an off-duty El Paso County Sheriffs Deputy in Wal-Mart asked if I had a concealed carry permit for my weapon. Told him that I didnt need one since I wasnt carrying concealed. He stated that he was just checking. I told him that he should know better since his boss is the one who doles out those permits, then I took my family to the toothpaste aisle.

    We here in Colorado Springs are surrounded by grudgingly acceptant ignorant morons for LEOs.

  13. #13
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    7,607

    Post imported post

    Immortal_Ben wrote:
    "PUT YOUR HANDS WHERE I CAN SEE THEM."

    I looked up at the fellow and he had his right hand hovering around his open suit jacket, left hand up in a defensive posture (I assume he was preparing to repel an attack from some enemy I couldnt see), and was backing to the rear of his car, glancing into his open trunk.
    Somebody told me about this thread.. Pardon my intrusion...

    So was that guy a real cop?

    Since he was there and watched you exit with your passengers... I will assume they were not dressed out in masks and other robbery attire....

    It would be apparent to me that you were not there to cause harm. Youeven explained why you were armed and were willing to speak with the guy. I see no threat at that point.

    It would have been obvious to me that either you believed you could carry... Or I did not know you could carry.

    I found it amusing that he made the motion to be "ready to draw" and give you an order without identifying he was the police. That was so stupid. But if he was armed... at least he did not draw down on you. :P

    So it sounds like he either gave up on you or discovered what you were doing to allowed.

    I bet he was embarrassed!!! I would have told you I was sorry and that I was not aware. We all make mistakes. It takes a better man to own up to them. Take responsibility for your actions I always say.


  14. #14
    State Researcher
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Ocean Shores, WA
    Posts
    593

    Post imported post

    Let's examine this. You were polite, you helped people out of the car, you left the car behind and went into the store where you shopped.

    Obviously you are one of them Un-Carjackers! Why, that man is lucky to be alive! :what:

    LoveMyCountry

  15. #15
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    4 hours south of HankT, ,
    Posts
    5,121

    Post imported post

    When I think of this cop, I imagine Dwight from the Office.

  16. #16
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    , Colorado, USA
    Posts
    11

    Post imported post

    An un-carjacker... HAHAHAHAHAHAH! But wouldn't that mean driving up to a pedestrian and throwing them into the drivers seat of your car, then walking away? Thats pretty dang funny if you think about it.

    When I was an LEO, if I made a mistake, I apologised for the mistake, but never for trying to do my job.

  17. #17
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Hampton, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    428

    Post imported post

    Tomahawk wrote:
    When I think of this cop, I imagine Dwight from the Office.
    Kinda hard on Dwight, aren't ya?

  18. #18
    Regular Member MetalChris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    SW Ohio
    Posts
    1,215

    Post imported post

    Tomahawk wrote:
    When I think of this cop, I imagine Dwight from the Office.
    ROFL! Now that you mention it, the conversation looks like something that Dwight and Jim might have.

  19. #19
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Windsor, Colorado, USA
    Posts
    111

    Post imported post

    That fella was very lucky because you kept your wits about you. Don't forget: We have the "Make My Day" law here in Colorado. If you preceive a threat or believe you are in real danger, you are authorized to defend yourself and you family as well as property.

  20. #20
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    4 hours south of HankT, ,
    Posts
    5,121

    Post imported post

    colorado slick wrote:
    That fella was very lucky because you kept your wits about you. Don't forget: We have the "Make My Day" law here in Colorado. If you preceive a threat or believe you are in real danger, you are authorized to defend yourself and you family as well as property.
    Yeah, but the "secret crime" law is in effect everywhere: shoot a cop, even in justified self-defense, and you are a "cop-killer" and will be prosecuted to the fullest extent (of the prosecuter's version of ) the law. Even if the cop did not identify himself and was in plain clothes, you will be over a barrel.

  21. #21
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Colorado Springs, Colorado, USA
    Posts
    24

    Post imported post

    Where in the springs was this? I live in Fountain and have OC'd all over the springs without a problem.

  22. #22
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    , Colorado, USA
    Posts
    11

    Post imported post

    This was at the Safeway on the corner of Academy and N. Carefree.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •