Thread: DooDoo runs DOWN HILL

Post imported post

Stop and think for just a second. I would suggest that before being stopped, questioned etc. one would contact the prosecuting attorney in the appropriate jurisdiction, and apprise him or her, of the RCW and what the outcome could be as the result of an improper / illegal act by one of their officers.

The officers have a defense of sorts, as they are somewhat protected by the idea that they "acted in good faith"

Trying to educate the police by dealing with low level supervision, or even the Chief is counter productive.

Deal with the person who is responsible for the legal PROTECTION of the city or county. Let them issue training edicts to the police. Remember doo doo runs down hill.

Jim

Founder's Club Member - Moderator Gray Peterson's Avatar

Post imported post

Trigger Dr wrote:
    Stop and think for just a second. I would suggest that before being stopped, questioned etc. one would contact the prosecuting attorney in the appropriate jurisdiction, and apprise him or her, of the RCW and what the outcome could be as the result of an improper / illegal act by one of their officers.

The officers have a defense of sorts, as they are somewhat protected by the idea that they "acted in good faith"

Trying to educate the police by dealing with low level supervision, or even the Chief is counter productive.

Deal with the person who is responsible for the legal PROTECTION of the city or county. Let them issue training edicts to the police. Remember doo doo runs down hill.

Jim
    There's nothing wrong with approaching chiefs, department legal advisors, or city attorneys. Prosecuting Attorney and City Attorney is not always the same person depending on jurisdiction.

Post imported post

Lonnie,

I agree with you completely, however, the attorney having jurisdiction over the city or county employing the officers can bring faster and heavier pressure to make the change than can the Chief or any of his subordinates.

By all means contact the Chief, Mayor, Parking enforcement, Dog catcher. They can make a little noise, but the Attorney is the one charged with the protection of the city or county resources (ie) monetary settlement for bad actions. His directive to the police agency, via the mayor and city council will get faster and more affirmative action.

Jim

Founder's Club Member - Moderator Gray Peterson's Avatar

Post imported post

Trigger Dr wrote:
    Lonnie,

I agree with you completely, however, the attorney having jurisdiction over the city or county employing the officers can bring faster and heavier pressure to make the change than can the Chief or any of his subordinates.

By all means contact the Chief, Mayor, Parking enforcement, Dog catcher. They can make a little noise, but the Attorney is the one charged with the protection of the city or county resources (ie) monetary settlement for bad actions. His directive to the police agency, via the mayor and city council will get faster and more affirmative action.

Jim
    Almost always there's a possibility of a threat of lawsuit (even if implied), they usually get the City Attorney involved anyway. Believe me, I usually cc the city attorney

Post imported post

I'll go out on a limb here as venture to say that Lonnie probably has more experience getting information and changes officially spread throughout the ranks than anyone on any forum. This ain't his first dog and pony show. He's fairly well known.

Just look at his track record and you'll find that he knows who to talk to and where to find them to get it done. Every state should be as lucky as Washington to havesomeone like him.I see no need to mess with success.

And believe it or not, Chiefs DO have quite a bit of influence overhow the rank and file officers perform their duties.