• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Some day there will be a public outdoor range

Marco

imported post

Don Turner (DTurner@co.clark.nv.us)

Sent:
Thu 8/06/09 10:08 AM

Code:
BLM Nevada News
Southern Nevada District Office
FOR RELEASE: August 3, 2009
CONTACT: Kirsten Cannon (702) 515-5057; [email]kirsten_cannon@blm.gov[/email]

BLM Seeks Comments on Shooting Park Environmental Assessment

Las Vegas -- The Bureau of Land Management (BLM) Las Vegas Field Office
is soliciting public comments in regard to the transfer of 2,880 acres
of public land to Clark County, Nev., to be used as a centralized
shooting park facility. The lands are located north of Decatur
Boulevard. The 30-day review period on the Clark County Shooting Park
Environmental Assessment begins August 3 and ends September 2, 2009.

BLM prepared the environmental assessment (EA) to comply with the
National Environmental Policy Act and a United States District Court
Order.

BLM transferred the subject lands to Clark County in November 2003 in
response to Public Law 107-350, which mandated public lands were to be
conveyed by the Secretary of the Interior for a shooting facility as
soon as practicable after the date of enactment of the Act. The Act
directed the Secretary to transfer the specified lands to Clark County
for a centralized shooting facility. Rather, the Secretary was to
ensure the lands are transferred as directed by Congress.

The environmental assessment is available online at
[url=http://www.blm.gov/nv/st/en/fo/lvfo.html][color=#0068cf]http://www.blm.gov/nv/st/en/fo/lvfo.html[/color][/url].

Written comments should be addressed to Bob Ross, BLM Las Vegas Field
Manager, 4701 North Torrey Pines Drive, Las Vegas, NV 89130
-BLM-

The BLM manages more land - 258 million acres - than any other Federal
agency. This land, known as the National System of Public Lands, is
primarily located in 12 Western States, including Alaska. The Bureau,
with a budget of about $1 billion, also administers 700 million acres of
sub-surface mineral estate throughout the nation. The BLM's
multiple-use mission is to sustain the health and productivity of the
public lands for the use and enjoyment of present and future
generations. The Bureau accomplishes this by managing such activities
as outdoor recreation, livestock grazing, mineral development, and
energy production, and by conserving natural, historical, cultural, and
other resources on public lands.

Kirsten Cannon, APR
Bureau of Land Management
4701 North Torrey Pines
Las Vegas, Nevada 89130
Phone: 702-515-5057

spiritof76

imported post

This went out in today's NRA e-mail list:

Clark County Shooting Park Needs Your Support!
Please Contact the BLM Today!

The Clark County Shooting Park is a 3,000 acre park outside of Las Vegas that is devoted entirely to the shooting sports. It was created by an Act of Congress that transferred land to Clark County from the federal Bureau of Land Management (BLM). Not long after the transfer, some local residents filed a lawsuit to close down the shooting park. The federal judge dismissed their charges, but ordered the BLM to complete some environmental studies.

An Environmental Assessment with a "Finding of No Significant Impact" (FONSI) has been completed and is open for public comment until Wednesday, September 2. The same people who sued the shooting park, along with their allies, plan to bury BLM with letters demanding a more extensive environmental analysis as another form of harassment against the shooting park.

Since comments are not limited to Nevada residents, we are asking that NRA members from around the country send comments to BLM in order to counter comments by the shooting park's opposition. A large number of supportive letters will also positively influence BLM decisions on other shooting areas and ranges nationwide.

If you shoot recreationally, it is important the BLM hear from you. Gun control advocates and radical environmental activists are trying to shut down shooting ranges or keep them from opening across the country, so it is important that BLM hear from you. Please take a few minutes to send Mr. Bob Ross, BLM Las Vegas Field Manager, your comments supporting the Environmental Assessment and recommending that the FONSI be approved and that the environmental review process be completed. His address is: 4701 North Torrey Pines Drive, Las Vegas, NV 89130. The environmental assessment is available online at http://www.blm.gov/nv/st/en/fo/lvfo.html.

CoonDawg

imported post

Wouldn't it be easier just to use the one off 95 north of Vegas? I will admit, it's a ways out of the way, and it is SCAAAAAAARRY (basically a pit with garbage and bullet casings everywhere where you hope no one shoots you on accident (There was a... close call. Let's just say the neo-nazis like to shoot at targets around kiddy-corners)), but it's huge. And most importantly, free.

You need a truck, though. the first 500 feet is incredibly rugged.

bplv

imported post

I don't think anyone would want to hold a competition out there. Plus, there are a lot of shooters without trucks. I sent a letter with snailmailr.com

kmtrowbr

imported post

Hi bplv,

Hi, I'm the creator of SnailMailr ... We're always googling our name to try and find out how folks are using us, and we saw your forum post.

We've created a new feature lately that lets folks easily send letters ... that is, you can just click on a link and you see the envelope with the destination address already filled in. We figure this might be helpful for people like you folks who are trying to get a 'mailing campaign' organized ... here's an example:

http://snailmailr.com/send-letter?destination_address=Bob+Ross%0D%0ABLM+Las+Vegas+Field+Manager%0D%0A4701+North+Torrey+Pines+Drive%0D%0ALas+Vegas%2c+NV+89130

Sorry to intrude into your forum, just saw that you used Snailmailr.com from my googling and thought I might mention this new feature to you.

What do you think?

Thanks!
Kevin
Our forum is at:
http://getsatisfaction.com/snailmailr

Erus

imported post

Looks like the fight is over. Park expected to open in December.

The suit (which should be directed at the builder/seller if the buyer who whines about the noise in his backyard has been dismissed

It is even more certain that the park WILL open, based on my favorite quote of the week:

But Clark County Commissioner Tom Collins had no empathy. << MY words here, not the news - for the complainants in the area who bought houses then cried they did not get told there would be a shooting park in the area and sued, NOT the builder who did not tell them.. but the county, for not telling them about the zoning ALREADY in place when they bought, as if it was not public knowledge and easily found by anyone who has sense enough to at least LOOK under the hood at the car dealer's lot before they plunk down the cash>> "They can call Uhaul and pack their ass and leave," he said. Commissioner Collins says the park is more than a half-mile away. He said residents who complain need to get a life.
"Pack your @#$% and go home. That's my feelings," he said.
<<<Speaking as to crying residents who are not from Nevada and expect it to be like Kommiefornia or elsewhere>>>

I saw this blurb on the news.. laughed my ass off. Boo Hoo we didn't know.. the county hid it, etc..
How is it the county's fault that YOU did not look up area zoning and plans or at least ask your seller about it BEFORE you bought?. Ok, go try to sue the evil real estate agent who "lied" to you.. otherwise shut up.

* - My Hero of the Day.

Here's one link to a local news story about it:
http://www.lasvegasnow.com/Global/story.asp?S=10989547

Facejackets

imported post

The dedication was yesterday at 10 am.

I am completely surprised no one was there OCing besides myself and one other person.

Anyway, after the dedication, they had free skeet shooting with unlimited ammo and clays. Needless to say there was a bit of shooting going on. After I shot a few clays, I left the park. I went right over to my buddies gun shop on Centennial and 5th to see what was going on. I told him about the skeet shooting and his friend who was there asked if I was kidding or not.

He says he lives on the end on Decatur. His bedroom overlooks the shooting park. He said he couldn't here a damn thing.

So I guess those people have nothing to complain about eh?

Facejackets

imported post

I'm no too sad about it opening in December. Now I won't get heat stroke from hanging out there all opening day!!!

bplv

imported post

Facejackets wrote:
I'm no too sad about it opening in December. Now I won't get heat stroke from hanging out there all opening day!!!
Lets just hope the date stops slipping. When I first heard about it, it was supposed to open early last year.

timf343

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Facejackets wrote:

I am completely surprised no one was there OCing besides myself and one other person.

Anyway, after the dedication, they had free skeet shooting with unlimited ammo and clays. Needless to say there was a bit of shooting going on. After I shot a few clays, I left the park. I went right over to my buddies gun shop on Centennial and 5th to see what was going on. I told him about the skeet shooting and his friend who was there asked if I was kidding or not.

He says he lives on the end on Decatur. His bedroom overlooks the shooting park. He said he couldn't here a damn thing.

Did security mention anything to you when you entered? According to news reports, security was asking patrons whether or not they were protesters when they entered. Any word about your guns (many ranges don't care about OC but say it must be unloaded, for example)?

Tim

Facejackets

imported post

Not a thing. There was a lot of LEOs there also. No one said anything

timf343 wrote:
Facejackets wrote:

Anyway, after the dedication, they had free skeet shooting with unlimited ammo and clays.    Needless to say there was a bit of shooting going on.   After I shot a few clays, I left the park.  I went right over to my buddies gun shop on Centennial and 5th to see what was going on.  I told him about the skeet shooting and his friend who was there asked if I was kidding or not.

He says he lives on the end on Decatur.  His bedroom overlooks the shooting park.  He said he couldn't here a damn thing. 

Did security mention anything to you when you entered?  According to news reports, security was asking patrons whether or not they were protesters when they entered.  Any word about your guns (many ranges don't care about OC but say it must be unloaded, for example)?

Tim

Marco

imported post

GREETINGS FROM CLARK COUNTY!!

[align=left]Set your sights on this Saturday to help us celebrate the soft opening of the Clark County Shooting Park!

All of you have been receiving our eBULLETins for several years and we have long awaited this one!!

As we move forward, our web page will contain updated information and news, so this will be the last eBULLETin from the Shooting Park. Please visit our site at http://www.accessclarkcounty.com/depts/parks/locations/pages/Shooting_Park.aspx for future information. Please see the news release below!!
Best wishes!!

Clark County Opens Doors to New Shooting Park

[align=center]Shooting Park Will Be Open on Weekends Initially[/align]

[align=center][/align]
The Clark County Shooting Park will officially open its doors Saturday to Southern Nevada’s first public shooting park, a facility designed to increase public safety.

“The shooting park has been a long time coming,” said Commissioner Tom Collins, in whose district the park is located.“I am excited that sports enthusiasts and shooters will finally have a safe place to practice.”

The shooting park will operate for the next three weeks on weekends only and transition over to full-time hours when the park officially opens in mid-January. Collins will fire the opening shots at 8 a.m. Saturday, Dec. 19 at the Shotgun Firing Range, Field 1. Temporary hours of operation will be as follows:

• Dec. 19 and 20,8 a.m. to 4 p.m.
    [/align]

• Dec. 26 and 27, 8a.m. to 4 p.m.

• Jan. 2and 3, 8 a.m. to 4 p.m.

The park is located at 11357 N. Decatur Blvd., about five miles north of the 215 Beltway. Rifle rentals and ammunition are not yet available and it is recommended that park users bring their own firearms, ammunition and hearing and eye protection before coming.

The facility features the following venues:

• Combination trap and skeet fields;

• An archery range;

• A public rifle and pistol center where targets will be sold; and

• A shotgun center with 80 recreational vehicles spaces for shooter.
The opening Saturday represents the first phase of the 178-acre, $61 million public shooting facility, paid for by money made available by the Southern Nevada Public Lands Management Act. The site is located

on 2,900 acres of land. When fully built out, the park is expected to draw competitive shooters from around the world and provide training facilities to law enforcement officials.

The land for the shooting park was transferred to the county from the U.S. Bureau of Land Management in November 2002. Since that time, more than 265,000 new firearms have been registered in Clark County, according to the Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department. The growth in firearms underscores the need for residents to have a safe, affordable place to shoot.

“This project comes at the request of a lot of citizens who wanted a saferplace for shooters,” Commission Chairman Rory Reid said. “This public facilitywill do a lot toend indiscriminate desert shooting and give tourists a new reasonto come to this valley andbolster the local economy.”

Senators Harry Reid and John Ensign, along with Congresswoman Shelley Berkley and Governor Jim Gibbons, then a Congressional representative, sponsored the act that provided the land.

Congresswoman Dina Titus, who was elected last year, lent her support to the shooting park saying, “The opening of the Clark County Shooting Park represents the tireless efforts of many in our community over a number of years.As the only public shooting park in Southern Nevada and a source of great pride, it will offer ample space for training and recreational activities for gun owners and enthusiasts from beginners to sportsmen and everyone in between.”

The county hired Don Turner, then manager of Arizona’s successful Ben Avery Shooting Facility, in 2003 to start the planning process for the park. Turner is now the county’s Shooting Park manager. More information about the park is available on its Web pages at [url]http://www.accessclarkcounty.com/parks[/url].

[align=center]###[/align]

Clark County is a dynamic and innovative organization dedicated to providing top-quality service with integrity, respect and accountability. With jurisdiction overthe world-famous Las Vegas Strip andcoveringan area the size of New Jersey, Clark is the nation’s 15[suP]th[/suP]-largest county and provides extensive regional services to more than 2 million citizens and 44 million visitors a year. Included are the nation’s 7[suP]th[/suP]-busiest airport, air quality compliance, social services and the state’s largest public hospital, University Medical Center. Thecountyalsoprovidesmunicipal services that are traditionally provided by cities to almost 900,000 residents in the unincorporated area. Those include fire protection, roads and other public works, parks and recreation, and planning and development. In 2009, Clark County celebrates a “century of service.”

[align=left][/align]

[align=left]Don Turner, Shooting Park Manager
Clark County Shooting Park
11357 North Decatur Boulevard
Las Vegas, Nevada 89124
[url]http://www.accessclarkcounty.com/depts/parks/locations/pages/Shooting_Park.aspx[/url][/align]
[align=left]dturner@co.clark.nv.us[/align]
[align=left]702-455-2005 (office)
702-239-4446 (cell)
A safe, fun, affordable, family-oriented, world-class, public recreational shooting facility[/align]

[align=left][/align]