• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Spoke With OPD Internal Affairs

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

BluesBear wrote:
sv_libertarian wrote:
At all times Lt. Wilson was courteous and aknowledged my rights. He asked me rather than file a formal complaint if I would agree to "mediation" which involves me, the three officers involved and Lt. Wilson sitting down at a "neutral" location and going over the incident. I told him that if it resulted in better training that I would agree. I am going to push for a training bulletin to be issued.

They want you to agree to mediation because you willthen give up your right to sue at a later time if things aren't settled to your satisfaction.

At no time did I formally give up my rights, nor upon questioning was I told I could not file a formal complaint. I will sit down with the OPD and discuss it in a reasonable manner. The Lt. already acknowledged some of the violations of my rights, and I will get the rest acknowledged by one means or another. I told him I want more than anything else to see appropriate training come out of this. I'm not sure when I will be meeting with the fuzz, but I am going to have the whole thing recorded.

If they want to place nice for a bit that is fine, but I will ratchet up as I see fit. I will also be talking to the city attorney.

Steve

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

HankT wrote:

But it's your call. Gotta use your instincts and judgment. I think the key is the Lt.'s integrity and professionalism. If he's just a guy whose expertise is making complaints go away, you're doomed. You've already been too accomodating.

Well then it will be one BS artist against another (hey I sell things for a living, and it takes more than a little skill to be considered "the best salesman" in your company.)

I tend not to go away until I get what I want. The reason I am playing nice right now is because the Lt. right off the bat acknowledged that I had broken no laws and stated that some (I am working on ALL) of what the officers did violated my rights. There is still some disagreement on the whole issue of the disarming me and unloading my weapon and whatnot, as he is claiming they followed procedure, etc...

Lots of stuff going on. Suffice it to say I have not given up any of my rights, and will pursue this matter to a satisfactory ending.

Steve

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

Mainsail wrote:
It sounds like Lt Wilson extended the hand of cooperation in an effort to reach an understanding. I would have been thrilled if anyone in the Tacoma PD had made such an offer. The officers that detained you were clearly in the wrong. Nevertheless, I would embrace such an offer without hesitation. ‘Going to war’ with the OPD isn’t going to help you or further your goals.

Ask that the meeting be held in some neutral place like a restaurant, not the police station. Make sure you can bring friends along as well. If they decide to try to intimidate you into agreeing that an inappropriate Terry stop is acceptable for people openly carrying, it will help to have a few people on your side.

He already stated it will be at a "neutral" location. He further stated that "while an investigation can take up to 90 days, I can assure you that in this case it will not be that long" or words to that effect.

I don't have any friends I can bring along handy, nor do I know when the meeting will take place yet. We were both shooting for tomorow at 6pm, but we also have to get the officers to mesh up schedule wise.

If anyone wants to come along, and can show up, I'm agreeable to it.

I always maintained in my conversations and recording that the stop was wrong and my rights were violated, and that will be addressed. I didn't use the words "Terry Stop" but have some handy case notes I will be bringing out.

Steve

Bear 45/70

imported post

BluesBear wrote:
sv_libertarian wrote:
At all times Lt. Wilson was courteous and aknowledged my rights. He asked me rather than file a formal complaint if I would agree to "mediation" which involves me, the three officers involved and Lt. Wilson sitting down at a "neutral" location and going over the incident. I told him that if it resulted in better training that I would agree. I am going to push for a training bulletin to be issued.

They want you to agree to mediation because you willthen give up your right to sue at a later time if things aren't settled to your satisfaction.

Not in this state. You can't sign your rights away no matter what you sign. Ifhe doesn't get satisfaction with the mediationhe can still file a formal complaint and/or sue.

Gray Peterson

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

Hey sv_libertarian,

I've had dealings with Lt. Wilson before. We happen to share the same last name (not related).

Do me a favor: I will be willing to drive to Olympia and meet up with them WITH you. Since my previous contact with Olympia PD is known to them. Just state to them that you're bringing a friend just to make sure.

My days off lately has been thursday. We'll talk more offlist.