Thread: OT - CC at a conference center/party house

Post imported post

I have been invited to an event where it would not be welcome to open carry. The event as at a party house/conference center. The event will be catered but there will not be any alcohol.

Any idea if CC is allowed there?

Would the answer be different if alcohol WAS served there? (it is an early morning event so I don't think this will come into play, but I may be going to several other events)

TIA

Alexandria, Fairfax County, Virginia, USA

Post imported post

This link tells the places you cannot carry: http://www.vsp.state.va.us/Firearms_StateLaws.shtm

If it's not prohibited, you can carry.
    Laws alone can not secure freedom of expression; in order that every man present his views without penalty there must be spirit of tolerance in the entire population. -Albert Einstein

Post imported post

Thanks.

I guess it comes down to if the place has a liquor license or not, from my reading of CC law

3. No person shall carry a concealed handgun onto the premises of any restaurant or club as defined in ยง 4.1-100 for which a license to sell and serve alcoholic beverages for on-premises consumption has been granted by the Virginia Alcoholic Beverage Control Board under Title 4.1 of the Code of Virginia; however, nothing herein shall prohibit any sworn law-enforcement officer from carrying a concealed handgun on the premises of such restaurant or club or any owner or event sponsor or his employees from carrying a concealed handgun while on duty at such restaurant or club if such person has a concealed handgun permit.
    I don't think I will be able to find out if the venue itself has such a license (versus the catering companies that use the place having their own license) before going there, and "restaurant" has more than one definition in the referenced section:

"Restaurant" means, for a beer, or wine and beer license or a limited mixed beverage restaurant license, any establishment provided with special space and accommodation, where, in consideration of payment, meals or other foods prepared on the premises are regularly sold.

"Restaurant" means, for a mixed beverage license other than a limited mixed beverage restaurant license, an established place of business (i) where meals with substantial entrees are regularly sold and (ii) which has adequate facilities and sufficient employees for cooking, preparing, and serving such meals for consumption at tables in dining areas on the premises, and includes establishments specializing in full course meals with a single substantial entree.
    Hard to say what level of preparation on site is required for it to be a restaurant. And since it is a direct violation of the Concealed Carry law (versus merely a tresspassing level issue) So I will probably play it "safe", at least til I find out if they have a alcohol license or not.